Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Can't print from Safari
plantsower #19985 01/06/12 07:12 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
Artie:

If I reinstall Safari, I will also have to update it because I have an older version from my CD. I can do that, I guess, but will have to go to a wifi coffee house because if it takes a lot of megabites to update the original, it will eat all my bandwidth. I have Starband at it's lowest and only allowed one Gig a week or I am cut off. A reason I don't watch videos.

If I choose to do this, how do I put my same bookmarks back into the newly downloaded Safari? I know I can save them on my desktop to keep them from being deleted when I remove Safari, but I want them back into the new Safari when I am done. Thanks.

Rita

I wouldn't get involved with an install disc just yet, Rita; for starters, I'd just re-run the Safari 4.1.3 (the latest version of Safari for Tiger) updater...only a 29.46Mb d/l, so your bandwidth cap won't be strained.

As for your bookmarks (~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist, presumably), simply move them back from your desktop to ~/Library/Safari after you've re-updated Safari. (Edit: Elect to replace the existing file if you're asked.)

Also, and please excuse the repeat if this has come up before, in view of your bandwidth cap I suggest that you save the Safari updater and all other d/l's against future need and bandwidth limitations.

Last edited by artie505; 01/06/12 07:20 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #19997 01/06/12 07:20 PM
OP Offline

You mean even though I have Safari 4.1.3, re-download it to my browser again without doing anything else, or should I delete Safari first? No, then I couldn't update it, duh! Do I need to corral everything in Safari first (somehow) to not get them mixed up? Rita

Originally Posted By: artie505
Artie:

If I reinstall Safari, I will also have to update it because I have an older version from my CD. I can do that, I guess, but will have to go to a wifi coffee house because if it takes a lot of megabites to update the original, it will eat all my bandwidth. I have Starband at it's lowest and only allowed one Gig a week or I am cut off. A reason I don't watch videos.

If I choose to do this, how do I put my same bookmarks back into the newly downloaded Safari? I know I can save them on my desktop to keep them from being deleted when I remove Safari, but I want them back into the new Safari when I am done. Thanks.

Rita

I wouldn't get involved with an install disc just yet, Rita; for starters, I'd just re-run the Safari 4.1.3 (the latest version of Safari for Tiger) updater...only a 29.46Mb d/l, so your bandwidth cap won't be strained.

As for your bookmarks (~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist, presumably), simply move them back from your desktop to ~/Library/Safari after you've re-updated Safari. (Edit: Elect to replace the existing file if you're asked.)

Also, and please excuse the repeat if this has come up before, in view of your bandwidth cap I suggest that you save the Safari updater and all other d/l's against future need and bandwidth limitations.

Last edited by plantsower; 01/06/12 07:22 PM.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #20001 01/07/12 06:56 AM

> Do I need to corral everything in Safari first (somehow) to not get them mixed up? Rita

You shouldn't run into any "mix-up" issues, Rita; the Safari updater will simply "refresh" Safari and leave its ancillary files untouched.

If it will make you more comfortable, though, navigate to /Users/your short name/Library/Safari, select it, and hit command-D to create a duplicate that the updater won't even find, let alone touch.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #20002 01/07/12 09:22 AM

Hello Rita:

I've followed this thread and others that you've begun and wonder if you wouldn't benefit from a "Tiger Edition" of David Pogue's "Mac OSX The Missing Manual". It's 850 pages of well written and illustrated, easy to understand information.

I have a copy from when I was OS 10.4 and it's now collecting dust. If you'd like like to have it, I'll be quite happy to send it along. Just send a private email to me at this address "dpi (at) shaw (dot) ca" with the mailing details. You'll be doing me a favour too...I need the shelf space but hate to throw books away.

Last edited by ryck; 01/07/12 09:24 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #20003 01/07/12 09:50 AM

cool

artie505 #20004 01/07/12 04:51 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Artie. That makes it safer for me. smile

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

ryck #20005 01/07/12 04:55 PM
OP Offline

Hi Ryck:

OK, now I'm embarrassed! I have had that book ever since I've had my iBook. I've gotten out of the habit of using it because it never seemed to answer my questions. Thanks for reminding me of it, though. I will search there first before I ask questions from now on.

Please don't toss your book. Maybe offer it on Freecycle or give it to a second hand store. I can't bear to toss books, either. I always give them away.

P.S. I really do appreciate the reminder about that book. Duh!! blush

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #20006 01/07/12 05:17 PM

OK, now I'm embarrassed! I have had that book ever since I've had my iBook........P.S. I really do appreciate the reminder about that book. Duh!! blush

Hi Rita:

No need to be embarrassed. You're probably like me in that FTM is often a preferable solution source due to the social aspect and the way FTM folks can make things more comprehensible by relating to their identical or similar experiences.

Please don't toss your book. Maybe offer it on Freecycle or give it to a second hand store. I can't bear to toss books, either.

Not to worry....the local newspaper has an annual book drive where they sell used books with the proceeds going to charity. And, as I look at bookshelves around the house, I can see a number of other good candidates.

Be well.

Last edited by ryck; 01/07/12 05:18 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #20007 01/07/12 05:20 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Ryck. That worked out for both of us!!

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard