for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Can't print from Safari
jchuzi #19635 12/15/11 09:12 PM

> If all were consistent, I should be given a prompt for the password and then simply have to press Return. Instead, dk's description seems to be accurate.

Nope... dk said "[...] in which case hitting Return after selecting a user at the Login window would have the effect of submitting the password, no?" (Emphasis added)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #19636 12/15/11 09:32 PM

By "consistent", I meant that I would have expected Apple to always display a a dialog box in which to enter a password, regardless of the fact that the password might be a blank space. That seems to be bypassed.

Dk is entirely correct in his assumption, according to what I see. Perhaps someone else would care to verify this?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
plantsower #19637 12/15/11 11:55 PM

> Anyway, you won't believe this, but I contacted Canon and they suggested I run disk permissions. I did that from the regular old disk utility on my Mac, and voila! It is now working.

You've become the forgotten person in your own thread, Rita, so three things...

1. The "regular old disk utility on my Mac" is where you always want to repair permissions from; it's the most up-to-date vehicle (unless you're still running the version of OS X with which your Mac shipped, in which case it's OK to run it from you're restore disc).

2. It may be too late, but would you please hit command-L in Disk Utility and see if you can maybe post what it repaired?

3. To avoid forgetting my test account p/w, as you may have done, I use the same p/w for both my main and test accounts.

If a p/w is safe enough for the account with all your stuff, why not use it for the account with nothing, too? (Actually, I delete and recreate my test account following every log-in, so it's always pristine.)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #19638 12/16/11 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
My main account and the test account have a blank space instead of a password.

Are you nuts? Please don't recommend such practice to anyone else. One of these days you might follow a link to some web page and get owned.

Just curious, can you run commands with sudo in terminal? I think Snowy (or even Leo) will refuse to run sudo when the user's password is blank... which is perhaps the only thing saving you from the fate in my previous paragraph (but i've never verified that security feature).

EDIT: here's a simple terminal test...
sudo whoami
Password:
root

I have automatic login enabled and I am not asked for a password when logging back into an account after logging out.

BTW —since you have no password —that might have been a propitious place to inform the readership. crazy

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 12/16/11 02:29 AM.
Hal Itosis #19639 12/16/11 07:20 AM

> Just curious, can you run commands with sudo in terminal? I think Snowy (or even Leo) will refuse to run sudo when the user's password is blank... which is perhaps the only thing saving you from the fate in my previous paragraph (but i've never verified that security feature).

EDIT: here's a simple terminal test...
sudo whoami
Password:
root

Results of experiment after changing my p/w to blank (OS X 10.6.8):

Code:
Last login: Fri Dec 16 03:05:03 on console
Artie-s-Computer-4:~ artie$ sudo whoami
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:

jchuzi #19640 12/16/11 07:38 AM

By "consistent", I meant that I would have expected Apple to always display a a dialog box in which to enter a password, regardless of the fact that the password might be a blank space. That seems to be bypassed.

Dk is entirely correct in his assumption, according to what I see. Perhaps someone else would care to verify this?

I still don't follow your "consistent," but let's get past that...

I experimented with your setup, i.e. blank p/w's for both my main and test accounts, with these results:

When I logged out of either account I was presented with a list of users/password dialog box, and selecting a user automatically logged me into whichever account I selected...with no further ado.

Your post sounds like that's not what you're experiencing, though.

artie505 #19644 12/16/11 10:24 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I experimented with your setup, i.e. blank p/w's for both my main and test accounts, with these results:

When I logged out of either account I was presented with a list of users/password dialog box, and selecting a user automatically logged me into whichever account I selected...with no further ado.

Your post sounds like that's not what you're experiencing, though.
Sorry if I haven't been clear, but that's exactly what happens to me.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #19645 12/16/11 10:27 AM

Whew! cool

Hal Itosis #19646 12/16/11 10:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
Are you nuts? Please don't recommend such practice to anyone else. One of these days you might follow a link to some web page and get owned.
Sure, I'm nuts, but so is everybody else. grin

Just curious, can you run commands with sudo in terminal?
No. That security feature started with Leopard. If I need to use sudo, I change the password from a blank space to an actual password, then change it back when I'm done. I use sudo so rarely (probably counted on the fingers of one hand) that it's not an inconvenience. It's much more convenient for me to just hit Return when I have to enter a password. Yes, it's not secure, but I'm the only person who has physical access to the computer (except my wife, but I trust her). Your point about a web page is well taken, however.

When I tested terminal with sudo whoami, I got the same result as Artie.

BTW —since you have no password —that might have been a propitious place to inform the readership.
Right you are. It's been so long since I set my preferences that I forgot about it. Dkmarsh remembered (he has the memory of an elephant) so I mentioned it in a subsequent post.

Jon

jchuzi #19651 12/16/11 03:10 PM

John,

Your decision to run your computer without the safety net of a password is not as safe as you are assuming. While you say that you (and your trusted counterpart / bride) are the only users, you forget that there are countless others with access to your machine through your internet connection.

If you have ANY form of data on your machine that you don't want outsiders to have access to I would strongly recommend that you re-evaluate your current practice. You don't necessarily need to lock the machine down in a cyber-vault....that would be overkill, but neither should you leave the doors wide open and the lights on as an invitation for intrusion.

As deliberate and methodical as you are with all of your other computer practices, it only makes sense to shift a little in this respect.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #19652 12/16/11 04:02 PM

OK, you convinced me. I just enabled a real, honest-to-goodness password. I think that I'll post it on Facebook so that I can remember it... grin

Jon

jchuzi #19659 12/16/11 05:31 PM

At least you're safe from the scads predators like me who refuse to Facebook. crazy
Rats! And I did so want to access your Visa account. tongue grin

grelber #19667 12/16/11 07:57 PM

I was being facetious about Facebook. I don't participate nor do I intend to do so. My Visa number is 1234 5678 9012 3456, expiration date Feb. 31, 2112. As the Japanese saying goes, rotsa ruck. wink

Jon

artie505 #19669 12/16/11 08:56 PM
OP Offline

Artie: Is this what you're looking for?

Dec 14 09:45:05: Disk Utility started.

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Determining correct file permissions.

Permissions repair complete

The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume
Verify permissions for “Macintosh HD”

Permissions verification complete

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”

Permissions repair complete

Name : TOSHIBA MK6025GAS
Type : Disk

Disk Identifier : disk0
Media Name : TOSHIBA MK6025GAS Media
Media Type : Generic
Connection Bus : ATA
Connection Type : Internal
Connection ID : Device 0
Partition Type : Apple_partition_scheme
Device Tree : pci2/ata-6@D/@0:0
Writable : Yes
Ejectable : No
Mac OS 9 Drivers Installed : No
Total Capacity : 55.9 GB (60,011,642,880 Bytes)
S.M.A.R.T. Status : Verified
Disk Number : 0
Partition Number : 0

Dec 16 13:53:58: Disk Utility started.

Rita

> Anyway, you won't believe this, but I contacted Canon and they suggested I run disk permissions. I did that from the regular old disk utility on my Mac, and voila! It is now working.

You've become the forgotten person in your own thread, Rita, so three things...

1. The "regular old disk utility on my Mac" is where you always want to repair permissions from; it's the most up-to-date vehicle (unless you're still running the version of OS X with which your Mac shipped, in which case it's OK to run it from you're restore disc).

2. It may be too late, but would you please hit command-L in Disk Utility and see if you can maybe post what it repaired?

3. To avoid forgetting my test account p/w, as you may have done, I use the same p/w for both my main and test accounts.

If a p/w is safe enough for the account with all your stuff, why not use it for the account with nothing, too? (Actually, I delete and recreate my test account following every log-in, so it's always pristine.)

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #19671 12/16/11 10:42 PM

> Artie: Is this what you're looking for?

Uhhh... I dunno, Rita.

On the one hand, the time stamp suggests that it may be the log of the permission repairs you ran at Canon's suggestion, but on the other hand, nothing was repaired, which leaves me completely mystified about what may have cured your Mac's ills.

Is there maybe another, earlier log record from the 14th?

artie505 #19676 12/17/11 02:19 AM
OP Offline

Hi Artie:

Nope. The log prior to this one was from July. Maybe the Printer Setup Repair program recommended by Jon worked after all. It didn't work at first but then I hadn't shut down and rebooted. Maybe that was necessary for that to work. I don't know. It may remain a mystery!!

Rita

> Artie: Is this what you're looking for?

Uhhh... I dunno, Rita.

On the one hand, the time stamp suggests that it may be the log of the permission repairs you ran at Canon's suggestion, but on the other hand, nothing was repaired, which leaves me completely mystified about what may have cured your Mac's ills.

Is there maybe another, earlier log record from the 14th?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #19678 12/17/11 02:30 AM

I think this one is for Sherlock Holmes, Rita. (You may be right about the restart, though.)

artie505 #19892 01/01/12 06:46 PM
OP Offline

Well, it's still happening off on and (mostly on). I tried booting from from the install disk to get to Disk Utility and got the message that I had upgraded from the original OS so i could not get to Disk Utility unless I went back to the original version of Tiger. Is this normal? mad

I went through the Macosx.com help site, and they wanted me to reinstall Safari. Won't that mess up my bookmarks, etc. Sounds kind of extreme.

I don't expect anymore help here, just answers to the above questions. I don't have the energy to keep this up. I may just have to switch to Firefox when i know I want to print something or copy and paste into my word processor. Grrrrr!. I haven't tried my test account yet because of my skittishness and also because if it prints in all other venues, how could it be my account?

Thanks.

Rita

I think this one is for Sherlock Holmes, Rita. (You may be right about the restart, though.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #19895 01/01/12 09:50 PM

Quote:
Well, it's still happening off on and (mostly on). I tried booting from from the install disk to get to Disk Utility and got the message that I had upgraded from the original OS so i could not get to Disk Utility unless I went back to the original version of Tiger. Is this normal?
If the install disk was an earlier version of Tiger, this is possible because updates should not only update the OS but also update Disk Utility. You can, however, run the equivalent of DU's Repair Disk in Single User Mode:

1. Start up while pressing Command and S simultaneously. Release the keys when you see writing on the screen and wait for the writing to stop loading.

2. Type fsck -fy (leave a space between fsck and -fy) and press Return. (Fsck is UNIX for File System Check, the equivalent of Repair Disk.)

3. Wait until fsck is finished running. If any errors were repaired, run it again in case multiple passes are required.

4. Eventually, you'll either get a message that everything is OK or that the disk cannot be repaired (in which case you'll need something stronger, like Disk Warrior). At that point, type reboot and press Return. This will get you back to normal.

Alternatively, you can install Applejack, which also runs in Single User Mode. Read the instructions before you proceed. AJ will run fsck for you without your having to type the command.

Quote:
I went through the Macosx.com help site, and they wanted me to reinstall Safari. Won't that mess up my bookmarks, etc. Sounds kind of extreme.
This should not touch your bookmarks, but to be on the safe side, copy ~/Library/Safari (that folder contains your bookmarks plus other stuff) and ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist to a safe location in case you need to restore anything.

Quote:
I haven't tried my test account yet because of my skittishness and also because if it prints in all other venues, how could it be my account?
There could be something peculiar to the Safari settings in your main account. Using a test account is simple and safe. I have done it many, many times with never a hiccup and it has helped me solve problems. This is the first thing that you should do before trying anything else. Otherwise, you may tear your hair out with "remedies" that are unnecessary. A scalpel is better than a chainsaw for cutting out a small tumor.

Jon

jchuzi #19898 01/02/12 02:43 AM
OP Offline

Thanks, Jon. I will actually try all of your ideas as soon as my printer quits working! LOL! It's started working again. What gives? Anyway, I actually went into my test account. So, I'm not scared to do that anymore.

I am pretty sure it will act up again. When it does, I will first check my test account. Then I will use Applejack or just follow the formula you gave me.

Thanks so much.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

jchuzi #19900 01/02/12 06:37 AM

Quote:
Well, it's still happening off on and (mostly on). I tried booting from from the install disk to get to Disk Utility and got the message that I had upgraded from the original OS so i could not get to Disk Utility unless I went back to the original version of Tiger. Is this normal?
If the install disk was an earlier version of Tiger, this is possible because updates should not only update the OS but also update Disk Utility.

Huh?

I don't recall ever hearing of anybody being unable to access Disk Utility from an install disc for any reason. (Not to be confused with OS X updates updating permissions...making one's boot disc the preferable vehicle for repairing permissions.)

plantsower #19901 01/02/12 06:50 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
I tried booting from from the install disk to get to Disk Utility and got the message that I had upgraded from the original OS so i could not get to Disk Utility unless I went back to the original version of Tiger. Is this normal? mad

Hi, Rita, and Happy New Year! smile

That doesn't ring any bells at all with me.

If this is possible, please boot from your install disc again, try to access Disk Utility, and if you get the same prohibition screen, take a cell phone or digital camera picture of it, import it, upload it to ImageShack, and post a link so we can get a look-see. (Sorry to start your new year off with a job. frown )

artie505 #19902 01/02/12 10:10 AM

I don't recall ever hearing of anybody being unable to access Disk Utility from an install disc for any reason. (Not to be confused with OS X updates updating permissions...making one's boot disc the preferable vehicle for repairing permissions.)
Yes, I believe that you're right, Artie. I was thinking of permission repair being updated but that shouldn't affect the ability to access DU from the install disk.

Jon

artie505 #19906 01/02/12 05:33 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for all the new work, Artie. You could tell from my original post a couple of days ago that I didn't want to start digging into this, right? LOL! I've got some stuff to do this morning, but when I get back, I will do as you suggest so you can see what is happening.

Later,

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #19907 01/02/12 06:49 PM
OP Offline

Here goes. Maybe I clicked on the wrong thing. If so, walk me through, please!
I wasn't trying to install the whole Mac OS, just trying to get to the Disk Utility but I was stopped here before I could find a customize button.

http://img841.imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&l=img841/402/0000001rj.jpg

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard