FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Can't print from Safari
plantsower #19908 01/02/12 08:55 PM

Hello Rita,

Take a look at the "Try Disk Utility" section in this link: Resolve startup issues and perform disk mainenance with Disk Utility and fsck.

I think you need to select your language, and then go to the Installer menu and select Disk Utility. Do not click Continue in the first screen of the installer.

See also Mac OS X - Using Disk Utility to Repair a Disk. This link has some helpful screenshots for both Repair Disk and Repair Permissions.

I realize that this may repeat information you already know, but just in case it might be of use to others using the Search function at FineTunedMac.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
dianne #19909 01/02/12 10:28 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Dianne. That is some valuable info. I am going to save it. At this point, for whatever reason, my printer has decided to print Safari stuff!! Next time it quits, though, I am going to follow those instructions and others I've been given.

I appreciate your help.

Rita

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #19910 01/02/12 10:44 PM
OP Offline

Hi Artie: I looked up the second link Dianne gave me and it contained this sentence. (See words in parentheses.) What do you think?

Rita

"Disk Utility cannot repair the directory structure of the active startup disk but in Mac OS X 10.4 or newer it can verify the active startup disk. To repair an OS X system disk with Disk Utility, you must startup the computer using an Apple Software Restore disc (included with newer Macs) or a Mac OS X Install disk (must be the same version). Insert the disc, restart the computer, and hold the C key when you hear the startup sound. You can release the key when the gray Apple appears.

Rita

Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Quote:
Well, it's still happening off on and (mostly on). I tried booting from from the install disk to get to Disk Utility and got the message that I had upgraded from the original OS so i could not get to Disk Utility unless I went back to the original version of Tiger. Is this normal?
If the install disk was an earlier version of Tiger, this is possible because updates should not only update the OS but also update Disk Utility.

Huh?

I don't recall ever hearing of anybody being unable to access Disk Utility from an install disc for any reason. (Not to be confused with OS X updates updating permissions...making one's boot disc the preferable vehicle for repairing permissions.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #19911 01/03/12 12:49 AM

Read Mac OS X - Using Disk Utility to Repair a Disk. If you scroll down a bit, you'll see:

Mac OS X 10.4.x through 10.6.x:
Choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu at the top of the screen.

You should get that at the second screen, after you select the language. Apparently, you went too far and opted to install the OS.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
plantsower #19912 01/03/12 01:18 AM

That error says you tried to do an install. There isn't a button for Disk Utility; you have to choose it from one of the menus.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #19913 01/03/12 02:16 AM
OP Offline

Jon and Tacit: I didn't see those options. I will check more carefully next time.

Thanks.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #19914 01/03/12 05:59 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
Hi Artie: I looked up the second link Dianne gave me and it contained this sentence. (See words in parentheses.) What do you think?

Rita

"Disk Utility cannot repair the directory structure of the active startup disk but in Mac OS X 10.4 or newer it can verify the active startup disk. To repair an OS X system disk with Disk Utility, you must startup the computer using an Apple Software Restore disc (included with newer Macs) or a Mac OS X Install disk (must be the same version). Insert the disc, restart the computer, and hold the C key when you hear the startup sound. You can release the key when the gray Apple appears.

Hi, Rita,

"(M)ust be the same version" means that if you're using a retail install disc (rather than the restore disc that shipped with your Mac) it must install at least the same version of OS X as does your restore disc, because, almost invariably, Macs cannot boot from discs that install an earlier version of OS X than that with which they shipped.

(Note that "live verification," the subject of your quoted paragraph, is unreliable at best and should only be used if you haven't got either a restore or install disc to boot from.)

Sorry to have started off your year with extra work, Rita, but what you reported was so unlikely that it demanded investigation, and, indeed, your posted screenshot showed precisely what I expected it to show...that, as both Jon and tacit pointed out, you had gone past the point at which you could have accessed Disk Utility and begun an installation.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #19918 01/03/12 03:52 PM

If you have used the Install Disk as the Startup disk (that is, not just inserted it, but restarted your Mac while holding down the "C" key so the CD becomes the startup), then Disk Utility should appear as a menu choice at the top of your screen.

This may not address any of your other issues, but should clarify this point.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #19922 01/03/12 04:57 PM
OP Offline

Finally. Yes, I have been putting in the install disk and pushing "C" down. I just keep forgetting to look up at the menu area. Then when I went past the first dialogue box, the menu I wanted was gone.

Anyway, everyone, Artie, I clicked Repair Disk and it came up clean.

Not sure why my printer is still responding to Safari. A total mystery.

At least I'll know where to start if things go haywire again.

Thanks so much for all your input.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #19931 01/03/12 10:51 PM
OP Offline

I know you guys must be tired of hearing from me about this. The printer finally stopped working for Safari again. I used my test account but it made no difference. I tried to repair my disk but it was "fine".

Any more ideas other than reinstalling Safari? I really don't want to do that if I can help it. If nothing will work, I will just starting using Firefox.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #19932 01/03/12 11:28 PM

Maybe it's time to reset the printing system.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
plantsower #19938 01/04/12 09:46 AM

Aaargh!!! confused

This is beginning to smell like a familiar rat, Rita, so...my next to last shot:

I believe you've already d/l'ed and installed Applejack, so boot into Single-user Mode, type "applejack AUTO restart" (yes caps...no quotes) at the prompt, and let AJ run its entire suite; this will deep-clean your caches and maybe, just maybe, clear up your issue.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #19944 01/04/12 05:01 PM
OP Offline

Artie: I never downloaded Applejack because I was able to get my Disk Utility to work, remember? But, I will download it to clean up my computer and see if it helps. If not, I will try what Jon recommended with my printer setup.

Grrrrrrrr........

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #19945 01/04/12 05:02 PM
OP Offline

What do you mean beginning to smell familiar? That sounds ominous.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #19948 01/04/12 06:42 PM
OP Offline

OK. I ran Applejack. I've never been that deep into my computer so was a little daunting. I don't know how to check if it actually repaired anything or not. I went into Library-preferences to see if there was a preference (corrupt) file folder and didn't find any.

My printer is now working again. I need to give it a couple of days to see if it sticks. If not, I will do the printer reset per Jon.

Thanks again for all the hand holding.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #19950 01/04/12 08:04 PM

I went into Library-preferences to see if there was a preference (corrupt) file folder and didn't find any.
How did you do this? I ask because your procedure may or may not have been effective.

Jon

jchuzi #19951 01/04/12 08:31 PM
OP Offline

Jon:

I just went to to my hard drive and clicked on my user name, went to Library, then to preferences. Applejack says it makes a preference file with corrupt in parenthesis if it finds corrupt files.

Hope that made sense.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #19953 01/04/12 09:38 PM

That's about what I thought. AJ, as far as I know, doesn't do any more than test the code of those files. The code can be correct but the information in the file can still be wrong, albeit coded correctly. So, you could still have a corrupted preference file.

In one of your previous posts, you said "I used my test account but it made no difference." Does that mean that the problem occurred in the test account also? If that's the case, the cause is not in your Users folder and therefore preference files in ~/Library/Preferences are not to blame.

The only way to truly test preference files is to remove them and see if that solves the problem.

Last edited by jchuzi; 01/04/12 09:39 PM.

Jon

jchuzi #19959 01/05/12 12:46 AM
OP Offline

I tried to print in my Test Account as well as my user account and neither worked. My printer has been working since I used Applejack, but I'm not sure if it's related or not. Will know in a couple days as that's about how long it works when it works.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #19964 01/05/12 06:40 AM

What do you mean beginning to smell familiar? That sounds ominous.

Nothing ominous at all, Rita... Just that your issue began to remind me of an elusive one posted a while back that was finally resolved by a deep cache cleaning. (EasyFind tells me that I've got 808 cache files in assorted locations, and since there's no "panacea" app that clears all of them, the "harder working" ones, Applejack and, if necessary, TinkerTool System, become obvious choices in a pinch.)

OK. I ran Applejack. I've never been that deep into my computer so was a little daunting. I don't know how to check if it actually repaired anything or not. I went into Library-preferences to see if there was a preference (corrupt) file folder and didn't find any.

My printer is now working again. I need to give it a couple of days to see if it sticks. If not, I will do the printer reset per Jon.

Thanks again for all the hand holding.

Getting "that deep into (your) computer" was probably good for you in the long run, Rita; it undoubtedly was "a little daunting," but if you think back, you'll probably realize that it was no more daunting than was looking at your screen the very first time you turned your Mac on.

Single-user Mode, test user accounts, Terminal, and other "under-the-hood" stuff are pretty much universally daunting to those who've never dealt with them and equally rewarding to those who confront them and learn to understand their usefulness.

As for "I don't know how to check if it actually repaired anything or not:"

Originally Posted By: APPLEJACK README
6. AppleJack has a primitive logging mechanism. It writes a journal of most of its activity to /var/log/AppleJack.log.

If you're curious, you can get to /var/log via Finder's "Go" menu item.

I've got my fingers crossed for you.

jchuzi #19968 01/05/12 07:08 PM
OP Offline

OK. I reinstalled my Canon IP4300. It didn't make a bit of difference. frown

What a mystery. I've scoured the internet and could come up with nothing. I can't believe I'm the only this has happened to.

C'est la vie.

I appreciate all your and the others' time and effort. Off I go to Firefox. Boo!

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #19972 01/05/12 08:08 PM

What a mystery. I've scoured the internet and could come up with nothing. I can't believe I'm the only this has happened to.

C'est la vie.

I appreciate all your and the others' time and effort. Off I go to Firefox. Boo!

Rita

Well, if it's come down to that, why don't you just reinstall Safari? It's your preferred browser, and you've certainly got nothing to lose.

artie505 #19974 01/05/12 10:13 PM

Rita,

If you wouldn't mind doing some testing to see if this can be solved one way or another would you be willing to download and try one or two other browsers?

Google Chrome is based on the same webkit Apple uses and it would be interesting to see if it suffers from the same malady.

You also might like to try Camino that uses the same Gheko engine as Firefox, but to me feels a lot more Mac-like.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #19978 01/06/12 02:24 AM
OP Offline

Hi:

I really don't want to download another browser at this point. I'm balking at reinstalling Safari. I will keep it in mind for the future though. Thank you.

Rita

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Rita,

If you wouldn't mind doing some testing to see if this can be solved one way or another would you be willing to download and try one or two other browsers?

Google Chrome is based on the same webkit Apple uses and it would be interesting to see if it suffers from the same malady.

You also might like to try Camino that uses the same Gheko engine as Firefox, but to me feels a lot more Mac-like.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #19979 01/06/12 02:29 AM
OP Offline

Artie:

If I reinstall Safari, I will also have to update it because I have an older version from my CD. I can do that, I guess, but will have to go to a wifi coffee house because if it takes a lot of megabites to update the original, it will eat all my bandwidth. I have Starband at it's lowest and only allowed one Gig a week or I am cut off. A reason I don't watch videos.

If I choose to do this, how do I put my same bookmarks back into the newly downloaded Safari? I know I can save them on my desktop to keep them from being deleted when I remove Safari, but I want them back into the new Safari when I am done. Thanks.

Rita

Originally Posted By: artie505

C'est la vie.

Rita

Well, if it's come down to that, why don't you just reinstall Safari? It's your preferred browser, and you've certainly got nothing to lose.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard