for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Just curious...
#19791 12/21/11 11:03 AM
OP Online

A coupl'a hours ago I reported a post as spam, and a bit later I noticed that both the spam post and the post to which it replied were taken down.

The original post had been up for, I think, a few weeks and sounded legit.

Whazzup?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Just curious...
artie505 #19794 12/21/11 01:49 PM

Quote:
Spam thread....initial poster and later responder are both the same person.

I'll clean out the links to their commercial software sales site, lock the thread and get rid of it later today.

Hi Artie,

I caught the fact that both the OP and the later responder were posting from the same source and locked the thread for a day with the above closing post.....trashed the thread at the end of the day. Sorry you didn't get a chance to see the result prior to removal.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #19796 12/21/11 08:12 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
Quote:
Spam thread....initial poster and later responder are both the same person.

I'll clean out the links to their commercial software sales site, lock the thread and get rid of it later today.

Hi Artie,

I caught the fact that both the OP and the later responder were posting from the same source and locked the thread for a day with the above closing post.....trashed the thread at the end of the day. Sorry you didn't get a chance to see the result prior to removal.

I remember seeing that one, but several days ago, I think.

The one I questioned happened just last night within the course of an hour or two. (I think dhg was the spam poster, but I forget who the OP was.)

Edit: The original post was "WiFi survey app for iPad."

Last edited by artie505; 12/21/11 08:18 PM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #19804 12/22/11 02:32 AM

Cyn handled the one you are talking about Artie and I don't know her exact thinking but the original post was from the Ukraine. Looks as if it was a setup for future spamming.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #19805 12/22/11 03:00 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Cyn handled the one you are talking about Artie and I don't know her exact thinking but the original post was from the Ukraine. Looks as if it was a setup for future spamming.

Thanks, joemike; I figured it must have been cyn, and the thought of "setup" crossed my mind, but the original post was out of character for a setup (unlike one that came in a few days back that I think is clearly a setup, but we'll see) in that it was literate and coherent, and it asked a logical question, while the spam post was one of those non-sensical, gibberish, e-mail type things...hardly what I'd have expected as a follow-up.

Maybe cyn will kick in with some clarification.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard