for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Stupid, repeated daily, spam
#19745 12/19/11 03:01 PM
OP Offline

Every single day we get a spam email with heading "Factory Sealed MacBooks, iPads & Kindles Under $50!" and another one with heading "Learn to Cut Electric Bills by 90%".

Every day I blacklist them. Every day they come back, from another made up domain. Every day the domain changes. Every day there are two, with the same Headings as above.

Today's made up domain is "plumewritersalliance.com". When I put that into Google it yielded this:

http://www.reputationauthority.org/lookup.php?ip=184.95.50.94

GollyGosh. 92.5% of their emails are Spam.

Back to the email content, which I can inspect in my ISP's webmail window, we have this (copy+pasted)

"`Rum,' said he. `I'd never see the mincemeat (which I am a confidential voice, and could -- Mrs Joe had been extracted; I regret to this, I stole into now, and stopped him through having a little on his door, and spare grass, filing at each about him, but I saw my breakfast afore you have betrayed him? Who's him?' `He tried together. He shivered all round weak blow colder there, where the settle beside their consideration, that means vanquished it. But if there was -- like a thoughtful bite..................

That goes on for six paragraphs, ending with "....In his station. `Church- yard, indeed! Now that the War-denouncing trumpet with the days of the way he had a piece o' ice, and flare, I stood holding tight on it out, and skeleton seemed quite as she never"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How do these keep coming through (as far as my ISP's pending list), every single day, when I blacklist the (expleted-deleteds) every day?

Here's part of the spam-trapping header:

1.4 RCVD_IN_BRBL_LASTEXT RBL: RCVD_IN_BRBL_LASTEXT
[184.95.50.94 listed in bb.barracudacentral.org]
1.7 URIBL_BLACK Contains an URL listed in the URIBL blacklist
[URIs: plumewritersalliance.com]
1.7 URIBL_DBL_SPAM Contains an URL listed in the DBL blocklist
[URIs: plumewritersalliance.com]

I am more than weary of blacklisting them. Every day of my life. Is there anything else I can do, or should be doing?

(And they have to be most stupid, pointless, timewasting Spams I've ever seen in my life.)

Re: Stupid, repeated daily, spam
Bensheim #19746 12/19/11 04:35 PM

>Every day I blacklist them

how?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #19749 12/19/11 05:01 PM
OP Offline

My business email ISP provides a BoxTrapper. In there, you can see "trapped" emails awaiting a decision from me. "View any BoxTrapper mail waiting for verification"

Decisions can be:

Whitelist and deliver
Deliver
Blacklist
Ignore

and so on. I can't give you the complete list right now, because I've cleared them all out today.

If I select "Blacklist", they join the BoxTrapper BlackList.

Here is the text at the Blacklist page:

The blacklist is a list of content you do not wish to receive in email. The sender of blacklisted content will also receive a warning message of your choice.

The list should contain one entry per line. Each entry should be formatted as a Perl regular expression.
For example: john@example.com would be john\@example\.com and all addresses at example.com would be .+\@example\.com

Looking at the Black List, I can see how many different domain names (all fictitious) which this lot have used recently:

from pamela\@criticalvieweyeprotection\.com
from susan\@criticalvieweyeprotection\.com
from jennifer\@phoenixrisenmultimedia\.info
from susan\@phoenixrisenmultimedia\.info
from meredith\@dallashollandergallery\.com
from scorecheck\@dallashollandergallery\.com
from pamela\@craftspotonline\.com
from susan\@craftspotonline\.com
from susan\@julissawellsfashions\.com
from pamela\@julissawellsfashions\.com
from susan\@meesoacademy\.com
from jennifer\@meesoacademy\.com

And So On. And on and on and on and on. Every day.........

Bensheim #19750 12/19/11 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Bensheim
My business email ISP provides a BoxTrapper.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but your ISP's BoxTrapper ain't worth a rat's patoot. You should give them what-for.

What browser are you using? In Mozilla's Thunderbird (8.0) it's pretty easy to block crap like this, and it's also got adaptive junk mail controls.
[I like Thunderbird because it complements my browser, Firefox (8.0.1).]

Another one of my email accounts has a spam blocker with a "blacklist" function which does such a fantastic job that even some legitimate e-messages with 'poorly phrased comment' get selected out of the stream so that I have to request their release from quarantine.

grelber #19751 12/19/11 06:01 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: grelber

What browser are you using? In Mozilla's Thunderbird (8.0) it's pretty easy to block crap like this, and it's also got adaptive junk mail controls.
[I like Thunderbird because it complements my browser, Firefox (8.0.1).]

Which browser am I using? Firefox, but I don't understand the relevancy.

Bensheim #19752 12/19/11 06:08 PM

Sorry, I meant to say email application.

grelber #19753 12/19/11 07:16 PM
OP Offline

Mail (4.5) it comes with Snow Leopard.

Yet - this is still irrelevant. The spams of which I complain never get downloaded to these Macs with Get Mail. They all arrive into the ISP's interim BoxTrapper and wait there for me to delete them.

I go into the ISP's webmail every day, to see if anything real has been inadvertently trapped. That's when I see them there. Every single day of my life.

Bensheim #19754 12/19/11 07:22 PM

Every single day we get a spam email with heading "Factory Sealed MacBooks, iPads & Kindles Under $50!" and another one with heading "Learn to Cut Electric Bills by 90%".

Every day I blacklist them.

If you are using Apple's mail program, you can go to Preferences/Rules and find an excellent system for dealing with unwanted mail. I have found it very effective.

After I establish a rule I never see the spam again. If it does get sent to me, I hear the audible alert that mail has arrived but it never appears in my inbox. I've gone from receiving a fair amount of unwanted mail to possibly one or two in a week - that I quickly dispatch.

Last edited by ryck; 12/19/11 07:24 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #19756 12/19/11 07:35 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: ryck

Every day I blacklist them.

If you are using Apple's mail program, you can go to Preferences/Rules and find an excellent system for dealing with unwanted mail. I have found it very effective.

After I establish a rule I never see the spam again. If it does get sent to me, I hear the audible alert that mail has arrived but it never appears in my inbox. I've gone from receiving a fair amount of unwanted mail to possibly one or two in a week - that I quickly dispatch.

With respect Ryck, you are also missing the point. In order to set Rules in Mail, I would have to download the ****ers into my Mac, from whence to "Rule" them out.

I don't download them. I look at them online.

Also - sorry to sound pedantic, why did you start with "If you are using Apple's mail program,"

IF? You mean "since". There is no "if" about it.

(It's probably a regional thing, saying "if".........)

Bensheim #19757 12/19/11 07:42 PM

I'm not sure exactly what your ISP promised you they could achieve with you using their quarantine box, but as AFAICT there is nothing you can do about the result. The offending spam simply gets quarantined (and presumably deleted after a fixed period if you don't do that manually), that's all.

If you don't like to see it, don't check that q-box. If important non-spam messages get dumped in there erroneously, you've got a problem for which the system doesn't offer a solution. After all, there is no way your ISP can stop spammers from sending spam, and as long as they do you'll see it in your q-box.

alternaut moderator
Bensheim #19759 12/19/11 11:12 PM

Also - sorry to sound pedantic, why did you start with "If you are using Apple's mail program,"

IF? You mean "since". There is no "if" about it.

(It's probably a regional thing, saying "if".........)

Not at all...it's more of a timing thing. When I sent my post, your response to Grelber had not yet appeared and I had therefore not read it.

The folks in the colonies do have a reasonable grasp of English.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Bensheim #19809 12/22/11 02:37 PM

BoxTrapper isn't really a Spam filter.

"It requires would-be senders to reply to a verification email (also known as challenge-response verification). Only after the sender is verified through the reply will his or her original email be accepted."

You may have a cPanel interface and if so, look to see if they allow you to use the mail filters.

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/CpanelDocs/UserFiltering

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard