Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: FREEWARE!
Hal Itosis #20986 03/06/12 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
[ how did "FREEWARE!" evolve into a troubleshooting thread? ]

With hindsight that started towards the end of the previous page (i.e., p5, in 25 posts/page view), but by now it's virtually impossible to extract these troubleshooting posts to a new thread, due to the few interspersed post that stayed on topic. frown

Last edited by alternaut; 03/06/12 09:19 PM. Reason: Specified page referral

alternaut moderator
alternaut #20987 03/06/12 08:04 PM
OP Offline

new version released minutes ago: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/28731/dropbox

dkmarsh #20992 03/07/12 06:58 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Of course, [...] freeware.

A timely, succinct, pointed post (in the manner of cyn) is far more likely to make an impression.

Last edited by artie505; 03/07/12 07:01 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Hal Itosis #21015 03/08/12 07:18 PM
OP Offline

i used to use this for launching apps, although it can do much much more:
  • Quicksilver
    A unified, extensible interface for working with applications, contacts, music, and other data.

It has more flexibility than Spotlight for app-launching. For example it can quickly be "taught" to launch Photoshop when we type ps, or Disk Utility by typing du.

Hal Itosis #21018 03/08/12 07:40 PM
OP Offline

This i'm using now (an' lovin' it). Another tool originaly by the creator of Quicksilver, this plug-in enhancement for Terminal.app was formerly called Visor:
  • TotalTerminal
    a systemwide terminal window accessible via a hotkey, much like the consoles found in games such as Quake.

To maximize its coolness factor: throw in a background animation, by using a quartz composition. Some nice (as well as free) examples are available for download from a page by Futurismo Zugakousaku. (i like 'Fish Crowd' and 'Particle Fish' the most)

Hal Itosis #21030 03/10/12 03:38 AM
OP Offline

Not quite as feature-rich or up-to-date as its 3-dollar big brother (a full menulet/app), but this freebie widget is still kinda slick:
  • QuickCal Widget
    quickly create iCal calendar events using natural language expression.

[widget probably won't ever get updated again, but it works fine on my Snow Leopard.]

Hal Itosis #21043 03/10/12 10:11 PM

Total Terminal is quite slick; thanks for that! I have it installed and I'm quite loving it.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #21047 03/11/12 02:38 AM
OP Offline

here's its GitHub link: https://github.com/binaryage/totalterminal

edit-1/ btw, if anyone is experiencing the "extra window on startup" phenomenon, there is a <thread> which suggests tweaking the prefs by setting an undocumented parameter:

defaults write com.apple.Terminal TotalTerminalCloseWindowsOnStart -bool YES

[works for me]

edit-2/ in other news, there is a different/similar piece of shareware that simulates vintage cathode-ray tube monitors and various terminal screens which existed in bygone days:
It will work okay for free as well, but... the effects increase with time, and eventually get beyond annoying [curvature, scan-lines and "distress" (e.g., jitter, flicker, noise, horizontal-sync, etc).] It intentionally goes uncontrollably wild, until the $10 shareware fee is paid. (or we relaunch the app)

I dig Cathode too... but all those effects do take their toll, and it runs using around 30% CPU average (on my Core i7 MBP). That, plus the $10 price tag has given me pause thus far. If they can cut the CPU load in half (e.g., TotalTerminal only uses about 10% while running a quartz animation), then i might take the plunge.

(c;

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 03/11/12 04:12 AM.
Hal Itosis #21584 04/15/12 02:19 PM

Broomstick

"Broomstick can currently hide the following apps: Air Video Server, Avira, Boom, Caffeine, Chronicle Mini, ChronoSync, Click.to, CrashPlan, Dimmer, DropCopy, Dropbox, Droplr, Flutter, Flux, FullControlHelper, Garmin ANT Agent, GrabBox, GrabBox2, GrowlTunes, Hiss, iTeleport Connect, Kuvva, LogMeIn, Memeo Backup, MiddleClick, MuteCon, Nocturne, NoSleepHelper, OpenDNS Updater, PleaseSleep, PuntoSwitcher, Quiet Read, RemotelessHelper, Seamless, SnagIt, Spotlight, ToDoHelper, Wakoopa Tracker, Wallpaper Clocks.

If menubar clutter or real-estate is an issue, then this free app may be worth a go.

If you would like to request another app be able to be hidden, then this can be done from within Broomstick."

AFAIK, it works as advertised. And, FWIW, I asked that a couple of my menubar icon be included and it was done within a few days.

If Menubar clutter or real estate is an issue, then this free app may be worth a go-

[url=][/url] [url=http://www.zibity.com/broomstick]Broomstick[/url]

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #21589 04/15/12 10:53 PM

I've been beta-testing Broomstick, Harv, and v 0.9 (to which you linked), in my opinion, anyhow, shouldn't have been released (particularly, prior to my reporting the results of my testing).

(Have you actually been able to hide the listed apps' icons? I'm running NoSleepHelper and DNSCrypt, but the only item I'm offered for hiding is Spotlight.)

Edit: I don't want to get involved with details...just want to know if you're experience is the same as mine.

Last edited by artie505; 04/16/12 06:27 AM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #21592 04/16/12 09:13 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I've been beta-testing Broomstick, Harv, and v 0.9 (to which you linked), in my opinion, anyhow, shouldn't have been released (particularly, prior to my reporting the results of my testing).

(Have you actually been able to hide the listed apps' icons? I'm running NoSleepHelper and DNSCrypt, but the only item I'm offered for hiding is Spotlight.)

Edit: I don't want to get involved with details...just want to know if you're experience is the same as mine.

My experience has been quite positive. I easily & successfully hid Boom and Dimmer with no (known) adverse consequence.

I have not yet tried to reorder the login sequence.

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #21635 04/18/12 06:43 PM

Re: Broomstick.

Today, I noticed that after a restart, there were blank spaces where the hidden icons would normally be present. Humm…

So I then re-hid the the otherwise hidden icons and all was put to right.

Perhaps this can be resolved by reestablishing the launch order.

Also, I noticed that I can click in the blank area adjacent to the displayed icons and the drop down menu from the hidden icons will appear.

I like the concept of Broomstick, but more work remains. Perhaps that's why it's a Beta.

Harv

Pendragon #21636 04/18/12 06:49 PM

> I like the concept of Broomstick, but more work remains. Perhaps that's why it's a Beta.

I'm going to direct Sebastian, Broomstick's developer, to your post in lieu of asking you to file a bug report. (Hiding icons is the one aspect of Broomstick that I can't test, because it relies on Spotlight, which I've got disabled.)

Yep! Much more work remains!

artie505 #21674 04/23/12 03:06 AM

This seems like the most appropriate place to post this: Luxembourg CIRC develops LaunchAgent monitoring tool for OS X links to a free tool that monitors your LaunchAgent folders for newly installed items such as LaunchAgent scripts..."a common route that malware developers use to run their malware in OS X once either the system is exploited or the user has been fooled into installing malware."

artie505 #21676 04/23/12 10:45 AM

I bookmarked that Launch Agent site, Artie, but am a bit hesitant to install it until after I have heard of the experiences of those who had. That is, does it work as advertised and are there no unintended consequences?

And because I am curious and don't understand, would this script do anything that Little Snitch does't already do?

Have you seen any reports/opinions by those who have actually used it?

Harv

Pendragon #21677 04/23/12 11:00 AM

What you've seen is what I've seen, Harv. (I haven't installed it...don't feel particularly needy of another line of defense.)

This differs from Little Snitch in that it tells you that something has been installed whereas Little Snitch tells you that something that has been installed is trying to call home.

artie505 #21688 04/24/12 10:08 AM

Like you, Artie, I have no (known) want/need for this script. Maybe the situation will change, but for now, I think I have adequate defenses.

And of course, thanks for the feedback.

Harv

Pendragon #21988 05/15/12 03:22 AM

Cross-referencing: New TechTool Deluxe release is Lion compatible.

artie505 #22875 08/03/12 09:14 PM

CandyBar, a utility to customize system icons up to and including Mountain Lion (albeit with some caveats due to changes in Mountain Lion) became free today.
Please make sure to read the web page linked to above to appreciate the support changes the developer announced there.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #22891 08/04/12 10:50 AM

TransDock X for those of us who prefer a transparent dock.

Works fine with 10.8, at least for me.

Harv

Pendragon #23077 08/14/12 08:52 PM

Temporary free promo bundle from MacLegion, including ColorStrokes, Scrambler, MacPilot, Thumbs and Wallpaper Wizard.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #23078 08/14/12 08:58 PM

Thanks, alternate. I use MacPilot, but am not familiar with the other free apps.

I have a daughter who just got a new iMac and MacPilot will be a nice addition.

Harv

Pendragon #23079 08/14/12 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
I [...] am not familiar with the other free apps.

Clicking on the app icons on the page I linked to will give you brief descriptions.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #23087 08/15/12 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
Temporary free promo bundle from MacLegion, including ColorStrokes, Scrambler, MacPilot, Thumbs and Wallpaper Wizard.

may as well grab that, for the price of getting on a mailing list I suppose.

Having a little problem seeing some of the reg numbers... they're single line limited width. One of them (macscrambler) license is 250 characters long! um... wow. my printer ain't that wide.

To see those I did a save as pdf, and that provides proper linewrap. Though if you try to click on it in the pdf it will take you to their web site, it's a link. Start your highlight off to the right and drag left to capture it.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #23090 08/15/12 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
... may as well grab that, for the price of getting on a mailing list I suppose.

Having a little problem seeing some of the reg numbers... they're single line limited width. One of them (macscrambler) license is 250 characters long!

Yes, you'll get on MacLegions mailing list, unless of course you're already on it for buying another bundle. wink But there is an advantage to registration (see below).

Good point about the seemingly truncated registration numbers. Personally I always save such receipt pages, then print them to PDF and compare the two for discrepancies.
But don't forget the receipt email MacLegion will send after you download the bundle. This email lists your registration numbers in their entirety. Finally, you can always access your MacLegion account to recover any registration numbers you may have lost.

alternaut moderator
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard