In a recent thread (Internet is slow in the next room) the issue of extending non-Apple WiFi networks with an Airport Express or Extreme came up. The official Apple position is that this is not supported, if at all possible. It turns out that base stations supporting Wireless Distribution System (WDS) are capable—at least in principle—of using AEs to extend their networks, but this capability may need to be provided for in the device's firmware.

In my case I use a Linksys WRT300N (v1.1*) WiFi router with Linksys firmware v1.51.2, which is not WDS enabled. It appears that WDS functionality can be added by upgrading the router's firmware with (3rd party) Sveasoft Talisman firmware.

My question: is anyone familiar with this Talisman firmware-router combination? Since the original Linksys firmware is no longer available from Cisco, reflashing is not an option if things go brickways.

*) While it looks like there is dd-wrt firmware available for this particular router version, my v1.1 model is also listed as Intel, NOT Broadcom-based, and consequently not dd-wrt compatible.

alternaut moderator