FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Website not loading properly
#19656 12/16/11 04:56 PM
Douglas Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, apologies if not.

I have been using this site, http://ip-address-lookup-v4.com/, to post complaints about the most egregious spam emails that I get. After you enter the IP address there is a form at the bottom of the page to fill out information.

No trouble on Monday entering complaint information. On Tuesday when I went to the site and entered and IP address the complaint form does not show up. I see other complaints being filed so I am assuming something changed on my system but can't figure out what it would be.

I get the same results using Safari 5.1.2 and Firefox 8.0.1. I've tried disabling my Safari Extensions and also most plug-ins but the complaint form does not show up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Can anyone else access the complaint form on this website?

Re: Website not loading properly
Douglas #19657 12/16/11 05:06 PM

The complaint box shows up for me.

As an aside, I will say that this is a completely ineffective way to combat spam. The owners of those IP addresses and the ISPs responsible for them will never see your complaints. Spamcop.net is probably a more effective spam-fighting tool.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #19668 12/16/11 08:52 PM
Douglas Offline OP
OP Offline

Any idea what could be the culprit on my system that is causing this? I'm guessing it's a system issue, plugin's maybe, since it happens with both Safari and Firefox.

I did temporarily remove the Internet Plugin's folder from my library and the complaint form is still not visible.

Last edited by Douglas; 12/16/11 08:58 PM.
Douglas #19670 12/16/11 10:29 PM

> After you enter the IP address there is a form at the bottom of the page to fill out information.

I entered my own IP in the IP Information box, hit "Go," and was taken to a new page that had a complaint box.

Does that help?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #19675 12/17/11 01:59 AM
Douglas Offline OP
OP Offline

That is what happens for me too except there is just a blank space where the complaint box is supposed to me.

As I said, I have turned off all extensions and temporarily moved my Internet Plugin's folder to the desktop and the complaint box is still blank.

Very weird and I have tried it with both Safari and Firefox so it must be something with my system but I've added no new software so just can't figure out the problem.

Douglas #19677 12/17/11 02:28 AM

> As I said, I have turned off all extensions and temporarily moved my Internet Plugin's folder to the desktop and the complaint box is still blank.

As you say... Weird!

Did you restart your Mac afterwards?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #19680 12/17/11 04:05 AM
Douglas Offline OP
OP Offline

Yep, restarted. Also just delete all my cashe files with Cocktail and still no complaint form.

Douglas #19681 12/17/11 05:24 AM

OK... Let's take a different tack: Have you logged in to a test user account to see whether your issue follows you across account lines?

Edit: Another thought... There are apps that get deeper into your system's caches than Cocktail does, and it may pay you to try one of them.

I suggest TinkerTool System...shareware that allows you to do some experimentation before buying; run it's entire cache clearing suite in one shot, and see if it helps.

Last edited by artie505; 12/17/11 05:40 AM.

artie505 #19682 12/17/11 07:23 AM
Douglas Offline OP
OP Offline

Damn, should have thought of a test user myself, great idea.

No luck though, with a test user, still no complaint form. This is getting maddening and grudge match to find the answer to this so I can add it to my list of fixes for future reference.

Don't really want to spend $ on TinkerTool however.

Douglas #19683 12/17/11 07:39 AM

> Don't really want to spend $ on TinkerTool however.

As I said, TinkerTool System allows you to test before you buy, so you can run the cache clearing suite gratis. (I believe TTS allows you to run 5 functions gratis before it freezes up on you, and I also believe that cache clearing counts as 3 of the 5.)

The reason I suggest TTS is that it cleared up a knotty cache issue, one that Cocktail couldn't touch, a while back.

artie505 #19689 12/17/11 04:19 PM
Douglas Offline OP
OP Offline

Artie, downloaded TinkerTool and gave it a shot. Deleted all cache, personal and system wide. No change, still no complain form. This is just so bazaar.

Since you get the complaint form can you right click on it and see what it is, maybe that will give a clue as to what is blocking it from showing.

Really appreciate you brainstorming this with me.

Douglas #19690 12/17/11 04:43 PM

Just a shot in the dark, but there is an option in Safari to open new windows in a Tab. Is it possible that is what is happening or is it possible the new window is opening behind the current window and you are simply not seeing it. I know both of these things have happened to me, especially when I am using the browser in a full screen mode.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #19691 12/17/11 04:52 PM
Douglas Offline OP
OP Offline

I wish that was the case but no open tabs and no other windows open. As I said the issue is the same in both Firefox and Safari.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm open to all.

Douglas #19692 12/17/11 06:04 PM

Have you got a different computer that you can connect to your home network and try to access that site?

It almost sounds like your router or modem may be choking on a particular portion of the page....have you tried resetting either/both?

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
Douglas #19693 12/17/11 06:07 PM

This almost looks like a firewall issue. Do you by any chance use a utility like Little Snitch? And what are your Java/Javascript (Security/Web Content) settings in Safari or Firefox (Prefs/Content)?

alternaut moderator
alternaut #19695 12/17/11 07:52 PM
Douglas Offline OP
OP Offline

I do not have a router, just a cable modem and that was reset due to a service outage earlier in the week. I'll reset it again and see if that helps. Strange that it would only affect this particular website but what the heck.

I do not have Little Snitch installed.

In Safari I have all boxes checked under the Security(Java)Tab. Have tired unchecking the popup box to no effect.

Douglas #19696 12/17/11 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Douglas
I do not have a router, just a cable modem and that was reset due to a service outage earlier in the week.

As Lee already suggested, this outage may very well be related to your access problem. If another reset won't work, you might want to contact your ISP to see if your problem rings any bells there. E.g., there may be different 'levels' of reset to try.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #19713 12/17/11 11:35 PM
Douglas Offline OP
OP Offline

Have contacted my ISP, Comcast, and they cannot reset my IP address at all. Tried everything on their end, completely disconnected me from the system. They are sending a tech out to see if something is wrong with my modem.

This is just weird.

Douglas #19758 12/19/11 09:16 PM
Douglas Offline OP
OP Offline

I had sent an email to the website Admin on Dec 10 before I did my original post. Got a short reply this morning "try it now' is all the email said. Sure enough it is working again.

I still can't get my IP address reset and Comcast is coming this afternoon to see what the problem is.

Thank's to all to assisted in trying to resolve this. Wished I knew what the problem was but probably never will. Replied to the email I received and asked but doubt I'll hear back.

Hope everyone has a great Holiday Season

Douglas #19763 12/20/11 04:50 AM

Thanks for the update.

Happy holidays to you, too! smile

artie505 #19765 12/20/11 05:55 AM
Douglas Offline OP
OP Offline

Comcast swapped out my modem for a new one and now my IP address changes normally when rebooting and can be forced to change.

The website now works correctly too.

Thanks again

Douglas #19792 12/21/11 01:38 PM

That sounds like it should do the trick....let us know if the issue returns. Comcast hasn't maintained the highest reputation for customer technical support / service in the past, but it looks like you got hooked up with a good local support technician and he served you well.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard