FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Firefox
#19228 11/17/11 05:17 PM
OP Offline

Hi:

Safari is my default browser. Lately, Firefox has made itself the default browser. It pops up when I boot up my Mac each morning. I haven't changed anything. It is not checked in the Log-in page. When I checked Firefox prefs, it said Firefox is not my default browser. When I check Safari prefs, it says Safari IS my default browser.

Is there something I can check in the Library or somewhere to get rid of a plist or something?

I use Firefox occasionally when I have problems with Safari, so I don't want to trash Firefox.

Thanks.

Rita

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Firefox
plantsower #19237 11/17/11 09:25 PM

Since nobody else has answered, I'll take a stab at this. I see two Safari plists in ~/Library/Preferences. One is named com.apple.Safari.plist and the other is com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist. Move one of them to the desktop and then log out/in. If the problem is solved, reset the appropriate preferences and trash the plist. If not, put it back and try the other one.*

If the above suggestions are unsuccessful, you can play with the contents of ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox in a similar manner.

*Actually, here's something else that you could try first: Play with com.apple.loginitems.plist and com.apple.loginwindow.plist. Both are located in ~/Library/Preferences.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
plantsower #19242 11/18/11 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
It is not checked in the Log-in page.

So, it's not "checked" --- but it is there then?

Because the checkmark only toggles whether the app will be visible or hidden. If it's checkmarked, it will be hidden. If it's not checkmarked, it will be visible. (as in your situation now)

But so long as it even exists in that list, it will be launched.

So select it and click the the minus sign in the [+|-] widget at the bottom, to remove it from the Login Items list.

Too bad, i just cooked up a wicked cool terminal command, but we probably don't need it...

grep -i Firefox {,/System,~}/Library/{Launch{Agents,Daemons}/,\
Preferences/com.apple.login,StartupItems/}* /etc/mach_init*/* 2>/dev/null

cool

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 11/18/11 02:27 AM.
Hal Itosis #19244 11/18/11 02:51 AM
OP Offline

Hi:

It's there in the logins because I wanted it on the Dock when I needed it. It's been unchecked in the logins for a long time. It's just now loading up when I boot up. I had Safari checked because I wanted it to launch. I thought that's how it was done. At least it's been working until now. Guess I'll remove Firefox from the Login page since it's misbehaving.

Thanks for the info.

Rita

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
It is not checked in the Log-in page.

So, it's not "checked" --- but it is there then?

Because the checkmark only toggles whether the app will be visible or hidden. If it's checkmarked, it will be hidden. If it's not checkmarked, it will be visible. (as in your situation now)

But so long as it even exists in that list, it will be launched.

So select it and click the the minus sign in the [+|-] widget at the bottom, to remove it from the Login Items list.

Too bad, i just cooked up a wicked cool terminal command, but we probably don't need it...

grep -i Firefox {,/System,~}/Library/{Launch{Agents,Daemons}/,\
Preferences/com.apple.login,StartupItems/}* /etc/mach_init*/* 2>/dev/null

cool

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

jchuzi #19245 11/18/11 02:53 AM
OP Offline

Hi Jon:

Thanks for your help. I think I'll just remove it from the Login page as suggested by Hal Itosis. I never actually log out. I have a weird fear of not being able to log back in and forgetting the log in info.

Thanks again.

Rita

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Since nobody else has answered, I'll take a stab at this. I see two Safari plists in ~/Library/Preferences. One is named com.apple.Safari.plist and the other is com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist. Move one of them to the desktop and then log out/in. If the problem is solved, reset the appropriate preferences and trash the plist. If not, put it back and try the other one.*

If the above suggestions are unsuccessful, you can play with the contents of ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox in a similar manner.

*Actually, here's something else that you could try first: Play with com.apple.loginitems.plist and com.apple.loginwindow.plist. Both are located in ~/Library/Preferences.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #19259 11/18/11 03:47 PM

Hi:

It's there in the logins because I wanted it on the Dock when I needed it.

You can keep it in the Dock for when you want to use it by dragging the icon from the application's location (in the Applications folder?) to the Dock, dropping it in the Dock wherever you would like it to be positioned. This does not remove it from its original location.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #19266 11/18/11 11:57 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Ira. That actually sounds ideal.

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Hi:

It's there in the logins because I wanted it on the Dock when I needed it.

You can keep it in the Dock for when you want to use it by dragging the icon from the application's location (in the Applications folder?) to the Dock, dropping it in the Dock wherever you would like it to be positioned. This does not remove it from its original location.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #19503 12/05/11 10:59 PM

there's an app called DefaultApps that gives you one central place to change all the common defaults, browser, email, ftp, etc.

strange that apple insists on placing the default setter individually INSIDE the app that it defaults TO, instead of sticking it in system prefs, where it arguably belongs.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #19504 12/05/11 11:05 PM
OP Offline

Thanks. I might look into that sometime. I appreciate it.

Rita

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
there's an app called DefaultApps that gives you one central place to change all the common defaults, browser, email, ftp, etc.

strange that apple insists on placing the default setter individually INSIDE the app that it defaults TO, instead of sticking it in system prefs, where it arguably belongs.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #19556 12/09/11 03:46 PM

The most common complaint I see about placing the switch inside the default app is that if you do the first obvious thing to a new user - delete the offending app (safari, mail, etc) then realized that you get an error when double clicking something, you've already deleted the app that would let you fix the problem.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #19570 12/10/11 04:44 AM

And the rebuttal, of course, is that there isn't any one single place to choose the default. ANY application that can be the default MAY (and usually does) include a setting to make it the default. A polite application, like most of Apple's, will allow you to set the default to some other app.

For example, Mail and Eudora would both let you set your default mail program, but Eudora would only let you set it to Eudora. Mail lets you choose from among all currently installed apps that support the mailto: protocol.

Similarly, almost any web browser offers a setting to become the default web browser, but Safari (and perhaps a few others) will offer to abdicate in favor of any currently installed app what will respond to http: URLs.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard