for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Siri in 10.7.x or 10.8?
#18856 11/01/11 10:03 PM
OP Offline

The rumors have already begun about when, not if, Siri will be integrated with Lion and its successors.

Alas, I don't understand why porting Siri to the rest of the Apple lineup is not easily done. What is so special about the iPhone 4(S)?

In short, why can't Siri be included, say, in 10.7.3? Is it really that difficult?

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Siri in 10.7.x or 10.8?
Pendragon #18863 11/02/11 01:42 PM

Given I have recently been casting covetous glances in the direction of Dragon Speaking, that is a very good question.

As far as I know, SIRI is almost entirely a server based system where both the command text voice recognition is performed at a server farm and the resulting "commands" transmitted back to the iPhone over the internet. So I would surmise that at the moment, one barrier to porting SIRI to OS X would be the load placed on the SIRI servers by the new iPhone 4s. Apple does not want to do anything to degrade the performance of the iPhone with its much bigger market than that of Mac computers.

Once Apple has a good handle on that then they will be in a better position to gauge what additional load would be created by adding in all the Mac computers — with lots more command and action options — and how more server farm capacity would be required to support the additional load without degrading the performance on the iPhones. Then, and only then, will they port SIRI to the Mac. Integration of voice recognition into OS X could well be a big enough feature to serve as the lynchpin of OS X 10.8.

So far SIRI on my iPhone 4s works well provided:
  • There is a low level of environmental noise
  • Either there is no one else around me or I don't care if I annoy the h*** out of anyone and everyone around me as I speak commands.
  • I have at least a decent WiFi or other data connection
  • The network is not too heavily loaded
  • My voice is not currently hoarse from a cold or allergies. tongue

FWIW, I find SIRI very convenient when I can use the Bluetooth connection in my car (I wish my car had a better microphone) and I don't have a car load of passengers. But I choose not to use it in public places for privacy reasons as well as avoiding public censure from those around me. SIRI is decently accurate where small chunks of data are being used, but as far as I am concerned the jury is still out on whether it is accurate enough for large amounts of data input. Even with short commands such as Call home I have a fair share are Cancels due to recognition errors, but that could easily be a result of my speech patterns and rhythms or my Texas drawl.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #18867 11/02/11 06:06 PM
OP Offline

Many thanks, Joemike.

I knew SIRI was server based, but did not appreciate the rationale re why no SIRI on OS X. Of course, limiting SIRI to the new iPhones can't hurt those sales.

As for me, perhaps some subscription based service is what's needed. Well, at least wanted. At first blush, $5.00 monthly would work. Too much more and I would just get a new iPhone.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #19182 11/15/11 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
But I choose not to use it in public places for privacy reasons as well as avoiding public censure from those around me.

Have you tried the Raise to Speak function with Siri? It's no different than speaking normally on the phone and only you will hear Siri's responses.

Works very well.

bilbao58 #19183 11/15/11 05:34 PM

grelber #19187 11/15/11 08:18 PM

Tell Siri you need to dump a body and she’ll suggest nearby reservoirs, mines, swamps and metal foundries.

wow

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard