for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: F/book. OUT of there.
Bensheim #18653 10/22/11 05:37 PM

. . . I think that comment was meant to be a little "tongue in cheek" to make a point.

However, it is quite possible to deduce one's activities from his/her credit card statement if it has billing for a, a-hem, 'massage' parlour, or a 'less-than-stellar' motel, etc. (The smarter folks pay in cash only!)

wink tongue

Bensheim #18658 10/23/11 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Bensheim
Originally Posted By: tacit

........ who they're sleeping with, ......

How do you work that one out?

A common PI trick to ferret out cheating spouses involves doing searches for credit cards in the name of one of the married people and a person not his or her spouse; apparently, many men who keep mistresses (and some women who keep lovers as well) will get a credit card in the name of the married man and the mistress, rather than the married man and wife, and use that credit card for expenses related to the affair, so as to keep the financial information away from the spouse.

Another way to do it is to trace movements of people using the credit card. Hotel reservations using a credit card when the spouse believes that the person is late at work or away on business or whatever, people checking into a hotel reserved in someone else's name using someone else's credit card, that sort of thing. From what I've been told, most PI sleuthing involving suspicions of affairs has less to do with following folks around with cameras and telephoto lenses than it does to do with wading through financial records.

Same is true of criminal investigations as well. Most (all?) FBI field agents have accounting backgrounds.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #18662 10/23/11 04:33 AM

> "doing searches for credit cards"

Is there an easy answer to "How on Earth?"

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
tacit #18665 10/23/11 04:23 PM
OP Offline

A common PI trick to ferret out cheating spouses involves doing searches for credit cards in the name of one of the married people and a person not his or her spouse;

apparently, many men who keep mistresses (and some women who keep lovers as well) will get a credit card in the name of the married man and the mistress, rather than the married man and wife, and use that credit card for expenses related to the affair, so as to keep the financial information away from the spouse.

I don't know about America, but here in the UK (and probably throughout Europe) credit cards are issued with only one name on. Maybe I've read it wrong and it means "a credit card account with two different names and two separate cards"?

Quote:
Another way to do it is to trace movements of people using the credit card. Hotel reservations using a credit card when the spouse believes that the person is late at work or away on business or whatever, people checking into a hotel reserved in someone else's name using someone else's credit card, that sort of thing.

This all seems like a lot of palaver for some extra nookie. Why doesn't the straying husband (say) go on a trip to somewhere he legitimately goes on business or recreation, and get the lover to meet him there? Then he can show genuine bills for legitimate hotel when he gets back, if necessary.

I suppose that is a form of social networking.

artie505 #18666 10/23/11 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505

Is there an easy answer to "how on Earth?"

PIs and law enforcement can get access to credit card information in any of a number of ways, some more legal than others. Social engineering, digging through credit card receipts, impersonating the person who owns the credit card ("pretexting"--which wasn't illegal until recently), and so on are all common, at least according to a PI mailing list a friend of mine belongs to. Fascinating stuff.

I don't know about America, but here in the UK (and probably throughout Europe) credit cards are issued with only one name on. Maybe I've read it wrong and it means "a credit card account with two different names and two separate cards"?

Yep. One account with two authorized users.

This all seems like a lot of palaver for some extra nookie. Why doesn't the straying husband (say) go on a trip to somewhere he legitimately goes on business or recreation, and get the lover to meet him there? Then he can show genuine bills for legitimate hotel when he gets back, if necessary.

We're assuming a person of means who's supporting a mistress. More garden-variety affairs might be harder to track, but families where someone has a more garden-variety affair might not have the means to hire a PI.

I wouldn't know; all my partners know about each other. smile

tacit #18667 10/23/11 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505

Is there an easy answer to "how on Earth?"

PIs and law enforcement can get access to credit card information in any of a number of ways, some more legal than others. Social engineering, digging through credit card receipts, impersonating the person who owns the credit card ("pretexting"--which wasn't illegal until recently), and so on are all common, at least according to a PI mailing list a friend of mine belongs to. Fascinating stuff.

Thanks.

I was afraid you meant that there were on-line databases that could accessed by searchers.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #18669 10/24/11 03:56 PM

At this point, there might be; I don't know. I do know that there are online databases which can be subpoenaed by law enforcement, but I don't know about searchable databases.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard