FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Home>>Forums hiccup
#18554 10/18/11 06:41 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

The Home>>Forums page didn't want to change the status for Peripherals.

Ever since joemikeb's "sophos antivirus" post, each time I left the sophos antivirus posting page, the Home>>Forums page remained unchanged.

It always had a (1) with the link to the joemikeb post.

Since the joemikeb post, jaybass replied. Whenever I hit the "go" button I was taken to the Mac OS X Applications page which correctly showed 2 posts and a link to jaybass as the last post.

Clicking on Forum List took me to the Home>>Forums page but, just for that one post, it was unchanged. All other forums were updated.

Today I fixed it at my end by going to a different topic under Peripherals, "Erasing & formatting thumb drive", and exiting from it. The Home>>Forums page is now correct.

I have no idea whether any of this is meaningful but, in case you need to know........

Last edited by ryck; 10/18/11 06:42 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Home>>Forums hiccup
ryck #18567 10/19/11 12:35 AM

I'm not entirely sure I fully understand what you did or tried to do to get rid of that new post indicator in Peripherals, but let me tell you what I think happened. The thread was moved from Peripherals to Mac OS X Applications because the subject matter fit better there; as part of the move a temporary pointer was left behind in Peripherals.

As long as the thread in question is the last one posted to in Peripherals, you see it listed at the Forums List level, and when you click on it there you access the thread in its new location in Mac OS X Applications. Because you didn't get there by clicking on the pointer in Peripherals, that pointer behaves as any other thread with a new post and maintains the red new post marker. You get rid of it the same way you do any other new marker, by clicking on its link in Peripherals.

Does that make sense?

alternaut moderator
alternaut #18589 10/19/11 01:44 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: alternaut
Does that make sense?

Yes, and thank you.

I just returned to the sophos antivirus post in Peripherals and this is the first time I've seen the "This topic has been moved" notice.

My attempts to get rid of the (1) - by revisiting the original post - didn't work. Here's a clearer description of what was happening.

Originally hiccup:

Was at: Home>>Forums

Went to: Home>>Forums>>Peripherals & Multimedia>>Peripherals

Went to: Home>>Forums>>Peripherals & Multimedia>>Peripherals>>sophos antivirus

Saw: The original post and the two replies

Each time, on exiting all of the above, would still see the (1)

Got rid of it by:

Went to: Home>>Forums>>Peripherals & Multimedia>>Peripherals

Went to: Home>>Forums>>Peripherals & Multimedia>>Peripherals>>Erasing & Formatting thumbdrive

On exiting all of the above, the (1) was gone

Anyway, I'm now good and the above is offered only to clarify previous information in case it's helpful.

Thanks again.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #18591 10/19/11 04:15 PM

Hmm, interesting. This warrants a bit more detail to fully understand, so please bear with me.
Originally Posted By: ryck
Originally hiccup:
Went to: Home>>Forums>>Peripherals & Multimedia>>Peripherals>>sophos antivirus
Saw: The original post and the two replies
Each time, on exiting all of the above, would still see the (1)

The use of the >> brackets is somewhat confusing to me, because I tend to read those as clicks. But given your description of results, that wasn't the case here. You could only have seen that by clicking on the thread title at the Forum List level. That bypassed the pointer and kept the unread marker intact. So far, so good.

Originally Posted By: ryck
Got rid of it by:
Went to: Home>>Forums>>Peripherals & Multimedia>>Peripherals>>Erasing & Formatting thumbdrive
On exiting all of the above, the (1) was gone

In this case the last two brackets in the 'Went To' series must have represented clicks, because (A) you couldn't have seen the Erasing & formatting thumbdrive thread at the Forum List level (where it wasn't listed). But instead of clicking on the pointer to the moved thread within Peripherals required to see the "This topic has been moved" notice, you say you (B) opened another thread (Erasing & formatting thumbdrive). After exiting the latter the unread marker associated with the pointer had vanished both within Peripherals and at the Forum List level.

Correct?

If so, that's somewhat aberrant (read: buggy) behavior, because in this scenario the unread thread/pointer still hasn't been read. However, we do know that you actually opened the pointer at one time, because you report seeing the "This topic has been moved" notice. Since this would have dispelled the unread marker associated with it, the question remaining is exactly when that happened in your sequence of events... laugh

alternaut moderator
alternaut #18601 10/19/11 09:39 PM

If I take them at face value, the ">>" are just sequence connectors; like first I went to "Home", then I chose "Forums". Hence, Home>>Forums. Etc.

In fact, the FTM web page itself uses those symbols to show the location of the current page relative to Home.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
alternaut #18602 10/19/11 09:44 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: alternaut
The use of the >> brackets is somewhat confusing to me, because I tend to read those as clicks. But given your description of results, that wasn't the case here.

Whenever I described something thus (Home>>Forums) or thus (Home>>Forums>>Peripherals & Multimedia>>Peripherals>>sophos antivirus), I was just describing what I saw in the bar at the top of the page.

Originally Posted By: Ira L
In fact, the FTM web page itself uses those symbols to show the location of the current page relative to Home.

Let me describe it again, using what I see in that bar. The blue letters will indicate what I clicked on.

Got rid of it by:

I was at: Home>>Forums

Clicked on: Peripherals (12 Viewing)

I was then at: Home>>Forums>>Peripherals & Multimedia>>Peripherals

Clicked on:

Erasing & formatting thumbdrive
by grelber

I was then at: Home>>Forums>>Peripherals & Multimedia>>Peripherals>> Erasing & formatting thumbdrive

EDIT Clicked on: The GO button.

Which took me back to:

Home>>Forums>>Peripherals & Multimedia>>Peripherals

EDIT Clicked on: Home>>Forums>>Peripherals & Multimedia>>Peripherals

Which took me back to: Home>>Forums

It was at this point that the (1) was gone. It was after this that I went to:

Home>>Forums>>Peripherals & Multimedia>>Peripherals>>sophos antivirus

and, for the first time, saw:

This topic has been moved.

I think that covers it. laugh ....and I hope it's helpful.

Last edited by ryck; 10/20/11 07:20 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard