An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: How to create bootable back-up disk for OS X Lion?
Hal Itosis #19241 11/18/11 12:09 AM
RHV Offline

(a) A clone is not an installer.

And Grieber would be happy, I'm sure to clone, if he had an external HD. But maybe not, since some on this thread warn against the generally reliability of clones.

He wants the Lion installer that he would have been able to get by updating Snowy -- an installer he could put on a disk and that in the past he would got with any new Mac he bought. But now he is not able to have that because he bought a shiny new Mac with Lion preinstalled!!. Now ain't that crummy .. he says.

(b) Well, yes it is.

This is all about a guy who has no broadband and no ability to clone. But in the old days, he got an installer on a disk when he bought a new Mac. And now he doesn't. And he feels deprived. Well, I think he's got a decent case. But the times are always changing - and when they do there's always some who get screwed.

RHV #19243 11/18/11 02:45 AM

You both will have more luck at MacRumors. Those forums thrive on stuff like this. [you'll get lots of "backup" from the Windows trolls, although a few others may scoff at the 'no-broadband' defense.]

Even i don't like the idea of a 3-4 hour download (with my lower-tier DSL), but i could sleep or go ride my horse and buggy to the general store while that's going on.

Yes, (live) clones are potentially problematic... but this seems to be a special case where choices are few.

Originally Posted By: RHV
a) A clone is not an installer.

Try again. A bootable clone plus a Time Machine backup is BETTER than an "installer".

One could restore the most recently updated/stable OS version... plus the latest docs and/or apps as well, if desired. Let's not parse words so thinly. [a mere "installer" isn't the only objective worthy of consideration.]

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 11/18/11 02:52 AM.
grelber #19248 11/18/11 11:59 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber
From the descriptions of cloning given early on in this thread, the necessity of acquiring additional software (if not skills) and the fact that Pogue mentions it nowhere in his manual (as far as I can tell so far, because it's not indexed), I suspect that it isn't either easy or comical.

My copy is indexed (extensively so), pages 885-909.

From the colophon:
"The author composed the index, entry by entry, using a highly tweaked FileMaker database and a clever Perl script that converted FileMaker's output into a fully formatted index."

Perhaps Sir Grelber just hasn't gotten that far (yet).

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #19255 11/18/11 02:48 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
From the descriptions of cloning given early on in this thread, the necessity of acquiring additional software (if not skills) and the fact that Pogue mentions it nowhere in his manual (as far as I can tell so far, because it's not indexed), I suspect that it isn't either easy or comical.

My copy is indexed (extensively so), pages 885-909.
Perhaps Sir Grelber just hasn't gotten that far (yet).

Ah yes ...
My copy is exactly so indexed. However, the referent to "it" in "it's not indexed" is "cloning" (not "manual"), as is the first instance of "it" in that main clause.
Ergo, we're on the same page(s).

grelber #19258 11/18/11 03:40 PM

Oh whew! I couldn't divine how you missed (or mist) it.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
grelber #19261 11/18/11 07:19 PM

My copy is exactly so indexed. However, the referent to "it" in "it's not indexed" is "cloning" (not "manual"), as is the first instance of "it" in that main clause.
Ergo, we're on the same page(s).

FWIW, the word 'clone' seems to be missing from Apple's lexicon as well. But that doesn't mean there isn't a functional equivalent. I suggest you check Pogue's index for the word "restore"... especially in the context of Disk Utility and its Restore tab. [i.e., doing a 'clone' with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper and doing a 'restore' using Apple's Disk Utility are fundamentally the same operation. SD and CCC do offer a few options, which make them more attractive in certain situations.]

BTW, i think Apple's decision to favor the word 'restore' over the more universally accepted term 'clone' is unfortunate. I feel it's a poor alternative, and it even confused (misled) me at first. Albeit... a clone (backup) can be used to "restore" some disk to a previous state (e.g., as we use it with Time Machine, when restoring from a backup). But it seems strange to use the word 'restore' in the context of an initial copying procedure.

--

page 436 perhaps?

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 11/18/11 07:47 PM.
grelber #19287 11/20/11 07:55 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
[You're] speaking out of context, V1 ... It is impossible in grelber's instance, because he did not purchase Lion from the App Store, rather he got it installed on his new iMac, and, further, he's stuck behind a 5Kbps dial-up Internet connection.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but here's the download math at 5KB/sec:
1MB = 200 sec = 3.33 min; 1GB = 200,000 sec = 55 hr 33 min.

I've previously posted that it would take you a tad longer than 9 1/4 days to d/l Lion.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #19288 11/20/11 08:25 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

I know. A tad scary. shocked
Apparently some didn't note your point, so I thought I'd add to it.
Hal Itosis is right: This thread's gotten way too long (especially for history to be a teacher). tongue wink

grelber #19289 11/20/11 09:20 AM

I know. A tad scary. shocked
Apparently some didn't note your point, so I thought I'd add to it.
Hal Itosis is right: This thread's gotten way too long (especially for history to be a teacher). tongue wink

And beyond that, it's lost direction.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
ben1975 #19290 11/20/11 09:24 AM

Originally Posted By: ben1975
I used this tutorial but i can't seem to download it again? I already installed Lion, and the option is no longer available in the Mac App Store to download Lion again?

I think both that it is and that the technique has been discussed, but somebody else will have to provide a link.

grelber #19306 11/22/11 07:48 AM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

I moved a branch of replies to a separate thread: Spotlight

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
grelber #19853 12/29/11 07:50 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Following is Pogue's last word (of 2011) on the subject in today's New York Times:

MAC APP STORE Apple has decided that the DVD is dead. The future of video-watching and software-downloading, it thinks, is the Internet.
To that end, it has created the Mac App Store, so that we can buy our computer programs the same way we buy iPhone apps — by downloading.
The idea has some overwhelming advantages, at least if you have a fast Internet connection. You don’t worry about viruses or spyware. The installation is instantaneous; you’re not even asked for your Mac password. You never have to install patches or updated versions; the version you’re downloading is always the latest. You never have to hunt for the original installation disks; the App Store is a storage locker for everything you’ve ever bought, and it’s available from any machine.
The Mac App Store makes the old methods of software distribution look as antiquated as eight-track tapes and carbon paper.

grelber #19857 12/29/11 08:33 AM

Following is Pogue's last word (of 2011) on the subject in today's New York Times:

MAC APP STORE Apple has decided that the DVD is dead. The future of video-watching and software-downloading, it thinks, is the Internet.
To that end, it has created the Mac App Store, so that we can buy our computer programs the same way we buy iPhone apps — by downloading.
The idea has some overwhelming advantages, at least if you have a fast Internet connection. You don’t worry about viruses or spyware. The installation is instantaneous; you’re not even asked for your Mac password. You never have to install patches or updated versions; the version you’re downloading is always the latest. You never have to hunt for the original installation disks; the App Store is a storage locker for everything you’ve ever bought, and it’s available from any machine.
The Mac App Store makes the old methods of software distribution look as antiquated as eight-track tapes and carbon paper.

Much as I hate it, I can't honestly say that I disagree with the concept, but the advance of technology is dependent on the availability of the new to the displaced users of the old, and when such is not the case, as with people who live in areas in which broadband is just plain 100% unavailable (or prohibitively expensive with little hope of getting cheaper), the concept loses coherence, and its adherents write off a portion of the world as beneath their notice. (And that is why Pogue's "eight-track tapes and carbon paper" analogy is faulty.) frown

artie505 #19858 12/29/11 02:30 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Much as I hate it, I can't honestly say that I disagree with the concept, but the advance of technology is dependent on the availability of the new to the displaced users of the old, and when such is not the case, as with people who live in areas in which broadband is just plain 100% unavailable (or prohibitively expensive with little hope of getting cheaper), the concept loses coherence, and its adherents write off a portion of the world as beneath their notice. (And that is why Pogue's "eight-track tapes and carbon paper" analogy is faulty.) frown

Yowzah!* tongue laugh

(* Go here if you're too young to recollect this word.}

artie505 #19860 12/29/11 04:30 PM

Much as I hate it, I can't honestly say that I disagree with the concept, but the advance of technology is dependent on the availability of the new to the displaced users of the old, and when such is not the case, as with people who live in areas in which broadband is just plain 100% unavailable (or prohibitively expensive with little hope of getting cheaper), the concept loses coherence.... frown

In Canada we'll certainly find the ISPs agreeing with the concept. They've been salivating at the idea of charging extra for downloads over a threshold they set, so they''l love the idea that viewers have no choice in getting movies except to download through them.

Last edited by ryck; 12/29/11 04:33 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #19866 12/30/11 05:35 AM

Oops! I plumb forgot about folks who are hobbled by capped bandwidth this time around; thanks for bringing them back into the mix.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard