FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Updated UBB.threads™ software
#17576 09/25/11 03:01 AM
OP Online

My immediate impression is that UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.5.6p1 is snappier than its predecessor.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Updated UBB.threads™ software
artie505 #17577 09/25/11 03:07 AM

I'm getting the same feeling. The upgrade seems lightning-fast from here.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #17578 09/25/11 03:19 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: tacit
I'm getting the same feeling. The upgrade seems lightning-fast from here.

Second the "lightning-fast," but I didn't want to be too exuberant in the first five minutes, and in the middle of the night, to boot.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
tacit #17579 09/25/11 04:38 AM

The upgrade seems lightning-fast from here.

Same thing here on my iPod. Impressive! tongue

alternaut moderator
alternaut #17580 09/25/11 06:38 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: alternaut
alternaut • moderator

Problem with your sig, or is the humorous intent whizzing high above my head?

Note: Where do the new smilies fit in? Got it! (Are they really necessary in this context?)

Last edited by artie505; 09/25/11 06:54 AM.

artie505 #17582 09/25/11 08:31 AM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Am guessing you're referring to the Posting Icon smilies, Artie. Those are part of the default UBBT 7.x package...and I've once again removed them.

The bullet in alternaut's sig not displaying correctly was 'cause the charset had reverted to iso-8859-1 (happens every upgrade/update). I've changed it back to UTF-8.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
Re: Updated UBB.threads� software
cyn #17585 09/25/11 08:57 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: cyn
1. Am guessing you're referring to the Posting Icon smilies, Artie. Those are part of the default UBBT 7.x package...and I've once again removed them.

2. The bullet in alternaut's sig not displaying correctly was 'cause the charset had reverted to iso-8859-1 (happens every upgrade/update). I've changed it back to UTF-8.

1. I noticed that you'd done that before I saw your post. (Those smilies were totally out of context here.)

2. Yeah... I remember the same thing happening last time. (With respect to 1., too.)

cyn #17625 09/26/11 07:56 PM

The bullet in alternaut's sig not displaying correctly was 'cause the charset had reverted to iso-8859-1 (happens every upgrade/update). I've changed it back to UTF-8.

Hmm. I missed that. Good catch!

tacit #17629 09/26/11 08:23 PM

I noticed it too on the 'Pod, and recognized it as a recurrence, the fixing of which is beyond mere mods. smirk On top of that, my 'Pod use around that time of day always ends with listening to audiobooks which invariably puts me to sleep. Upon waking cyn had taken care of things as on previous occasions. tongue

alternaut moderator
alternaut #17636 09/27/11 12:49 AM

Another security update, 7.5.6p2, was just released today. Installation was a breeze (only a few files were affected), and it seems to be operating correctly.

cyn #17942 10/05/11 07:55 PM

I noticed that question marks have been inserted for certain characters in some thread titles. What's up with that? Examples:

- Re: Microsoft Word 2011 ��... (currently at the top of the Mac OS X Application forum, as seen at the Forum List level)
- Updated UBB.threads� software (as listed in FineTunedMac Feedback)

alternaut moderator
alternaut #17944 10/05/11 08:13 PM
OP Online

I don't know what's up with the "Word" thread, but in this thread the question mark replaces the â„¢ that I typed.

Last edited by artie505; 10/05/11 08:16 PM. Reason: Cleanup

Re: Updated UBB.threadsâ„¢ software
artie505 #17946 10/05/11 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
...in this thread the question mark replaces the â„¢ that I typed.

Within the posts it does so for me too, but not in the post titles, except in the title of this reply where I manually changed it. I suspect it'll be fine in replies to this post as well.

In the 'Word' thread the substitution is only visible in the title at Forum List level, not within that forum itself. It's got to be some sort of character set issue, despite the fact that it doesn't seem consistent. Perhaps there was a (transient?) glitch during the character set change, or the subsequent page rendering.

PS, the substitution in this thread might be explained by the time of the first occurrence, on the day the UBB.threads update was installed, but before the character set change by cyn. All subsequent occurrences were just inherited, not created anew. But this explanation doesn't fly with the Word thread, unless there was character set hanky-panky around the time of the first post there as well (~ 8AM, 10/05/11).

alternaut moderator
alternaut #17948 10/05/11 09:05 PM
OP Online

...in this thread the question mark replaces the â„¢ that I typed.

Within the posts it does so for me too, but not in the post titles, except in the title of this reply where I manually changed it. I suspect it'll be fine in replies to this post as well.

PS, the substitution in this thread might be explained by the time of the first occurrence, on the day the UBB.threads update was installed, but before the character set change by cyn. All subsequent occurrences were just inherited, not created anew. But this explanation doesn't fly with the Word thread, unless there was character set hanky-panky around the time of the first post there as well (~ 8AM, 10/05/11).

I just started a new thread, and the â„¢ came through, so I guess your guess is correct.

I'd appreciate your clarifying "Within the posts it does so for me too, but not in the post titles".

Thanks.

Edit: Hmmm... There was the security update to the security update that tacit mentioned, but I've got -0- idea when it was installed.

Last edited by artie505; 10/05/11 09:16 PM.

artie505 #18061 10/07/11 11:02 PM

Hmm... i've just been observing a generic favicon here, while this thread proceeded. Then just 3 minutes ago, i'm now getting the custom "Mac/Man" FTM icon... all with no effort on my part. [i.e., haven't monkeyed with WebpageIcons.db for the past week.]

idunno

artie505 #18076 10/08/11 01:11 AM

The second p2 security update was installed the day after the p1 security update was installed.

I am now seeing the correct favicon, though I did nothing on the server, so I have no idea why.

tacit #18079 10/08/11 01:22 AM

Interesting. Sometime today my 'fuzzy' version of the FTM favicon morphed into the 'good' one without special effort on my part.

alternaut moderator
tacit #18086 10/08/11 07:51 AM
OP Online

> The second p2 security update was installed the day after the p1 security update was installed.

Thanks.

Then it has nothing to do with the ??? in Alex's post of 10-5.

alternaut #18087 10/08/11 07:54 AM
OP Online

Interesting. Sometime today my 'fuzzy' version of the FTM favicon morphed into the 'good' one without special effort on my part.

That's three mysterious occurrences within 2 1/2 hours...most mystifying, particularly when put into context with the almost immediate appearance of the correct favicon on my deuced Mac(hina). confused

artie505 #18093 10/08/11 04:26 PM

Then it has nothing to do with the ??? in Alex's post of 10-5.

No, it hasn't. The fact that both the timing of the updates and the charset change preceded the generation of the Word thread character florf is only one of the two reasons I considered that this issue was caused by something else. The other factor was the location of the off-character: at the Forum List level. The thread titles there are pulled from the threads themselves by the UBB.threads software.

I would think that for a wrong character to appear at the Forum List level*, that wrong character must first be present in the thread in question, AND that it should remain in that thread until it's fixed manually. There's nothing wrong with the thread title within the forum, so unless it was fixed there afterward I cannot explain this particular issue other than by a glitch in the Forums software. Obviously, since the Word thread is no longer the last thread posted to in Mac OS X Applications, the issue has vanished from sight.

*) Titles at the Forum List level cannot be edited by mods, as opposed to the threads themselves.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #18094 10/08/11 04:32 PM
OP Online

Thanks for the explanation of why there's no explanation.

I dunno... I've seen those ??? any number of times in the past, but I never thought enough of them to post.

artie505 #18102 10/09/11 12:47 AM

Thanks for the explanation of why there's no explanation.

I dunno... I've seen those ??? any number of times in the past, but I never thought enough of them to post.

I believe, though I haven't dug through the source code enough to confirm, that there is actually a text encoding bug in UBB. It seems that the code which generates lists of threads in UBB doesn't respect the current setting for character encoding, but the code in UBB that is responsible for displaying posts does.

The short and not-too-technical root of the problem is that there is an accepted international standard way of assigning all the "regular" characters of the English language and all the standard punctuation marks you see printed on a keyboard; for example, a space is always represented by the number 32, the uppercase letter P is always represented by the number 80, and so on.

But when it comes to accented characters, foreign-language characters, special punctuation like smart (curly) quotes, special symbols like the trademark or registered trademark symbol, and things like that, there's no accepted standard way to represent them. There are actually a bunch of different, competing standards: ISO Latin, MacRoman, UTF-8, UTF-16, and so forth.

Naturally, they're entirely different. In ISO Latin, the registered trademark symbol is assigned the number 174. In UTF-8, it's represented by the number 49838 (UTF uses two-byte numbers for special characters).

Normally, the browser and the Web page communicate with each other to tell one another which standard they're using. You can tell UBB which standard to use, and then UBB will tell the browser which standard it's using. If you change the standard you're using, UBB will change stuff around accordingly. But if something goes wrong, which it seems to when UBB tells the browser it's using one standard and then sends post titles using a different standard, the browser will display the wrong character, or the special ? symbol to indicate it can't figure out what that character is.

tacit #18108 10/09/11 06:42 AM
OP Online

Clear, concise, and well-stated explanation... As usual.

Thanks.

artie505 #18180 10/11/11 05:18 AM

OK, I've dug some more and discovered precisely what's happening. We have FineTunedMac set to use the UTF standard for special characters. However, the characters that you're seeing as ? symbols in post titles are being sent out as ISO Latin. Even though UBB is using the UTF character encoding, it's still sending out post topics using ISO Latin, which is where the problem is coming from

tacit #18181 10/11/11 06:23 AM
OP Online

OK, I've dug some more and discovered precisely what's happening. We have FineTunedMac set to use the UTF standard for special characters. However, the characters that you're seeing as ? symbols in post titles are being sent out as ISO Latin. Even though UBB is using the UTF character encoding, it's still sending out post topics using ISO Latin, which is where the problem is coming from

Which, presumably, calls for UBB intervention?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard