Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Help - Content not available
#18150 10/10/11 10:07 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Several times I've tried using Apple's Help function. Sometimes what I'm looking for is available in the machine, other times it advises that the content is not available because I am not connected to the Internet.
Just now I went online to get Help to determine how to change a folder icon (because it isn't the same way as it was in OS 9).
I entered "folder icon" in the search, which came back with 63 items, the fifth of which was the topic I was looking for. When I selected that, it came back with content not available because I'm not connected to the Internet – which I clearly am. confused mad
What's going on?! And second, how do I change a folder icon?

Re: Help - Content not available
grelber #18156 10/10/11 03:02 PM

Bensheim #18158 10/10/11 03:30 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. And the process seems to be the same as in OS 9 – I must have forgotten one step in the process that made it not work for me.

That said and done, what about the main problem delineated in this thread? And how to get around it, when Apple doesn't think I'm connected to Internet?

Anybody know if there is a master list of these help documents so that one can access them directly?

grelber #18159 10/10/11 03:50 PM

While you're there, did you go straight from OS9 to Lion (10.7)?

I'm sorry I don't have time to read all your posts where you may have said this.

If yes, that is an Everest-sized leap and I'm not surprised you're having migration problems*. It was bad enough when we went from OS9 to Tiger (10.4), but at least after that the upgrade to Snow Leopard (10.6) was pretty easy.

You missed Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard. I don't know why they gave them those names either.

Bensheim #18160 10/10/11 03:55 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes – from 9.0.4 to 10.7 > 10.7.1.

And CRAP! I inadvertantly changed my Macintosh HD icon to something else. Is the original icon stored elsewhere on the iMac (so that I can get back to status quo ante)? Or do I have to find a palette of Apple icons somewhere else?

grelber #18161 10/10/11 04:05 PM

Grelber, did you consider a less explosive transition? (from OS9)

Just wondering.

I've never changed folder icons, have never seen any need to fiddle with cosmetics like that. It's more getting the network up and running and getting work done which engages me. Sorry.

BTW "help" files are not always what they say. I started a thread on this only today.............had to work it out for myself in the end.

grelber #18163 10/10/11 04:29 PM

To go back to the default/generic icon, begin the process as you would for an icon change (i.e., Get Info...). Click on the icon present in the Get Info box, hit the Delete key and the original will take its place. You may have to then close the Get Info window for this to happen.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #18169 10/10/11 06:11 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Ira L: Perfect! If I had an (emot)icon for "Hats off to you!", I'd use it here.

Bensheim: No. I've never liked OS X, even though I've used it frequently on others' computers. And my experience so far with 10.7.1 ain't making me think differently. It's one thing just using someone else's set up for trivial things; it's quite another trying to make mine do my bidding.

Computers were supposed to evolve to be more user friendly. Not so much. It's very like late model cars: One used to be able to change spark plugs and do other bits and pieces of maintenance under the hood; now that's all but impossible. Sure, cars are a lot more trouble-free these days, but no longer does one feel in control of the inner workings. I suspect that's why manufacturers have put in so many cup holders ....

FTM Moderators (and other FTM nabobs): Even with my dial-up modem access to the Internet, FTM pages load "like stink" (kudos); by comparison, loading Apple pages (if they load at all) just stinks.

grelber #18170 10/10/11 06:27 PM

They did evolve (to be more user friendly) but you have missed about ten years of that evolution by jumping from 9 to Lion.

Dial up? Don't you have broadband there? (another can of worms...)

Bensheim #18171 10/10/11 06:43 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Bensheim
They did evolve (to be more user friendly) but you have missed about ten years of that evolution by jumping from 9 to Lion.

And I was blissful in my ignorance. {sigh}

Dial up? Don't you have broadband there? (another can of worms...)

Yes indeed. And it costs 4-5x what I'm laying out for dial-up service. Given that I'm on the Internet less than 3 hours per day, it'd be an even greater waste of resources (which I'd rather put to wine acquisition).
When my current dial-up contract runs out, I'll likely have to switch to a monthly plan, to which I'll tack on "accelerated access', which compresses web files for ca 5x faster access. And so on, and so forth.

grelber #18172 10/10/11 06:49 PM

When we switched from dial-up to broadband, we reduced the monthly phone bill by 90%.

I am not exaggerating.

Also, once you're on broadband, you'll use the internet far more than you do now, because it's always-on, and there are no bills ticking away, per second, as on dial-up.

Bensheim #18173 10/10/11 07:05 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

When we switched from dial-up to broadband, we reduced the monthly phone bill by 90%.

It makes no difference here; dial-up is a local call and so no extra charges.

Also, once you're on broadband, you'll use the internet far more than you do now, because it's always-on, and there are no bills ticking away, per second, as on dial-up.

I have no inclination to spend more time on the Internet. Life is too short and there are many more interesting things to do. That's also why I don't have cable/satellite for TV – I'd wind up never leaving the house, ordering in pizza every day, and gradually wind up looking like Jabba the Hutt. No thanks.

grelber #18176 10/10/11 09:01 PM

There is as far as I know, no logical connection between moving to broadband and becoming Jabba the Hut. It's up to the individual's lifestyle.

BFN

Bensheim #18177 10/10/11 09:38 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Indeed. There are about 100 hours of programs per day that I'd want to watch. The problem is clear-cut: there are only 24 hours per day. Ergo, no cable/satellite. No temptation. No frustration. QED

grelber #18192 10/11/11 06:39 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Really?! Nobody has a clue about resolving the issue with which I started this thread? frown tongue

Time to give Apple support a phone call and see if they do. I ain't holding my breath.

EDIT: Just spent a fair bit of time with a senior Apple advisor who thinks the problem is with the Firefox browser.
Actually, I just tried using the Help function in Finder. (No browser involved, neither Firefox nor Safari.)
A Help Center window opens. As a test I enter "function key" (without quotes), and under All Help 31 articles show up. I choose any one of them and:
First, "Content not available" pops up (because I'm [supposedly] not connected to the Internet);
second, nothing comes up and the colored wheel just keeps spinning, after which "Content not available" shows up.
So ... it's not a problem with any browser, it's a problem with the Help function in the menu bar and then with the Help Center to which the former directs.
Clearly a problem with Apple and/or OS 10.7.1.
I should probably just resign myself to the fact that this particular thing is never going to work and that I'm permanently SOL when it comes to getting help out of my iMac or from Apple's support website. (Now there's an irony.)

grelber #18195 10/11/11 08:27 PM

Is your default browser set to Firefox or Safari?

Also, go to your home folder. Inside your home folder, open Library, then Preferences. Delete com.apple.help.plist and com.apple.helpviewer.plist.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
grelber #18196 10/11/11 08:37 PM

The X-Lab, Troubleshooting Help Viewer doesn't mention 10.7 but it might still help you, especially the Reset Help Viewer part. That procedure worked fine for me in previous OS versions.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
tacit #18201 10/11/11 11:30 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: tacit
Is your default browser set to Firefox or Safari?

My default browser is set to Firefox 7.1.

Originally Posted By: tacit
Also, go to your home folder. Inside your home folder, open Library, then Preferences. Delete com.apple.help.plist and com.apple.helpviewer.plist.

Remember: I'm using 10.7.1*, so none of your proposals can be carried out. I can see all those items (including some others suggested for deletion in the X Lab article recommended by jchuzi) and even 'select' them; but deletion attempts result in the 'gong'.

* Library in home folder is 'hidden' (ie, not accessible); it can be placed (and made 'visible') under Favorites in Finder sidebar, but the system will not allow deletions at any level.
Ergo, I'm screwed. (What else is new with Lion?!)

grelber #18202 10/11/11 11:54 PM

Look at Delete Specific Application Saved States from Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Resume.

You can force-delete files via Tinker Tool System (well worth the price, IMHO). Launch TTS, click the Files tab and then click the Force Delete tab.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
grelber #18204 10/12/11 07:10 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Remember: I'm using 10.7.1*, so none of your proposals can be carried out. I can see all those items (including some others suggested for deletion in the X Lab article recommended by jchuzi) and even 'select' them; but deletion attempts result in the 'gong'.

Really? I have no trouble deleting preference files on 10.7.1. What have you done to your permissions?

jchuzi #18205 10/12/11 08:21 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, but that would take me way beyond my 'comfort' level. If there's no way to do it with what I've got, then there's no way.

ganbustein #18206 10/12/11 08:29 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: ganbustein
Really? I have no trouble deleting preference files on 10.7.1. What have you done to your permissions?

I can't explain the situation any better that I have already.
As far as I know, I haven't done anything to my permissions, for the simple reason that I don't know what permissions are, what they do, how one might do anything to them, and so forth. (I raised this issue in these forums before I even got the machine and was counseled not to worry about it. See #17673.)

Given that 10.7 seems to be radically different from earlier versions of OS X, unless there's a officially-sanctioned version-specific fix, one that even I can understand, I'm not going to experiment. I've already gotten into severe trouble on that score a couple of times, and it's scared the crap out of me.

EDIT: I should add here (as addendum to #18192 above) that when I spoke with the senior Apple advisor he never mentioned "Help Viewer" (even though that was the topic of discussion). He wanted me to do something called a "safe boot" and fool around with my browsers — which, as noted, have nothing whatsoever to do with Help Viewer, since that seems to function completely independently of browsers (and both Firefox and Safari weren't active). And, of course, when I tried to get "help" to get information on what that so-called safe boot is about, all I got was "Content not available".

Bottom line: I'm no closer to a resolution of the problem(s) raised in this thread than before.
And since my accessing Help and Help Center is essential to my learning how to deal with this machine and this system, not being able to leaves me in limbo and in grief.

I continue to be consternated by this system and frustrated at almost every turn. But I've made the decision to stick with it (in spite of my strong feeling that I should just return to my old iMac and OS 9).
On the other hand, there are obviously problems which are just not going to be solved (via these forums or otherwise), and I'm not likely to acquire the ability to deal with them. The expertise may be out there, but I'm stymied as to how to tap into it. Without simple and transparent solutions my 'experiment' with this equipment will lead me ultimately to give up.
Apple's products are not simpler and easier and more transparent to use than the competition's (although they used to be); I guess that's the ultimate 'seduction' (read: trap) that Uncle Steve talked about.

Last edited by grelber; 10/12/11 09:52 AM. Reason: Apple
grelber #18207 10/12/11 09:32 AM

Try this:

Open your Users Library folder and find the files that you would wish to delete. Select one of the files and either press Command-I or go to File>Get Info. The Get Info window will tell you who owns the file if you look under Sharing & Permissions (you may have to click the triangle to expand it).

In order for you to be able to delete the file, your account should have Read & Write privileges. If not, you can change it via the double arrows alongside it. If it is grayed out, click the padlock icon and enter your administrator password when prompted. Then, you should be able to change the privileges and delete the file. Do the same for the other files, if necessary.

I am writing this based upon my Snow Leopard installation. Some of the terms may have been slightly changed in Lion so be prepared for that.

Jon

jchuzi #18208 10/12/11 09:58 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have no idea where a Users Library folder might be.
The only place I find Users is in System Preferences, and that just tells me that I myself (as Admin) am using the computer.

I just have no idea what's going on with this set-up. The logic in my brain has no correlation to that in the computer's system.

grelber #18209 10/12/11 10:59 AM

OS X is set up as a hierarchy of folders which you can see if you double-click the hard drive icon. Some of these are:

Applications
Library
System
Users

The above folders are said to be at the root level of the drive, meaning that they are not contained within any other folders. Within them are other files and folders:

Applications contains apps that may be available to all users of the computer.
Library has folders that may apply to all users.
System contains folders that are needed to run the OS itself and you shouldn't touch anything in there unless you really know what you are doing.
Users contains a folder for each user (read "account" here). In OS X versions previous to Lion, yours has a house icon (meaning "Home"). I don't know if this has changed in Lion. Changes to a particular User account neither affect other accounts nor the folders at the root level of the drive.

If you look inside Users, you will see the name of your user account. Within your account folder, there will be a Library, which is hidden by default in Lion. To access that Library, in the Finder, Option-click the Go menu and you'll be able to access it from there (if you just click Go without holding Option, it won't be available).

Within that Library, you'll find many subfolders and you should be able to access the files that you want. I suspect that your problem in deleting items may have resulted from your being in the Library at the root of the drive. (Actually, there is a third Library as well, located in System.)

Each User should be able to add to or delete items from his/her Users folder. If you still can't do this, I suggest that you repair permissions. Follow the instructions in Mac OS X - Using Disk Utility to Repair a Disk. It won't hurt to do this and should only take a few minutes. In Snow Leopard, I get wildly inaccurate estimates of the time (like 30 minutes) but it actually takes about three. I also get lots of spurious messages that I have learned to ignore. I don't know if this has been fixed in Lion. At any rate, repairing permissions is, at worst, harmless.

When you launch System Preferences and access Users (Accounts in OS's previous to 10.7), that lets you make some changes to your User account like adding accounts, deleting accounts, changing passwords, and/or changing the type of account. We'll go into that later when you feel more comfortable with Lion.

I'm happy that you are sticking with OS X for awhile. I know that this is new to you but practice makes perfect. At one time, OS 9 was new to you and you certainly feel comfortable navigating it.

Jon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard