Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
iCal and PandoCalendar
#18012 10/06/11 07:14 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

I just noticed that unlike many desktop calendars (such as the PandoCalendar I had on my old iMac), iCal has no library of holidays at all (much less holidays listed and installable by country or whatever). Any thoughts? Any solutions (other than the obvious, viz laboriously putting such in manually for the entire year)?

In PandoCalendar one can color-code the entries in a variety of ways, as well as specify holidays falling on variable dates (eg, Thanksgiving, Easter, Victoria Day).

I've got an OS X version: PandoCalendar 7.0.8

Part of the install instructions is:
Launching PandoCalendar at Login
To have PandoCalendar automatically launch when you login:
(1) Choose System Preferences... from the Apple menu.
(2) Click on the Accounts item.
(3) Click on the Login Items tab.
(4) Click on the + button.
(5) Locate and choose the PandoCalendar application.

If I do (1), I don't see any Accounts item. What's the score, anybody?

I've tried finding Accounts via EasyFind, etc ... to no avail, nothing pops up.

Re: iCal and PandoCalendar
grelber #18016 10/06/11 07:39 PM

That's another of those changes in Lion: the pre-Lion Accounts prefs panel (under System) is now Users & Groups. Find some explanation here.

PS, if you haven't already done so, you might want to go over the various System Prefs panels to see what's available. You may not remember everything right away, but a brief going-over might trigger your recollection on future occasions.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #18019 10/06/11 08:03 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks. That took care of it.

grelber #18020 10/06/11 08:03 PM

To add US holidays to iCal, follow the directions in Basics4Mac: Adding Holidays To Your iCal Calendar. It worked for me in 10.6. You should be able to find Canadian holidays also.

Last edited by jchuzi; 10/06/11 08:10 PM. Reason: forgot that you are Canadian

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
grelber #18021 10/06/11 08:10 PM

"I just noticed that unlike many desktop calendars (such as the PandoCalendar I had on my old iMac), iCal has no library of holidays at all (much less holidays listed and installable by country or whatever). Any thoughts?"

Launch iCal. In the Menu Bar/Calendar, click on "Find Subscriptions"

Or, is that not what you seek?

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #18026 10/06/11 10:50 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

No idea what "subscriptions" on a Mac might be. But if it ain't in the machine, I ain't interested. But thanks anyway.

grelber #18030 10/07/11 08:50 AM

"Subscriptions" is merely the list of the calendars one may select and download, aka subscribe (free). It is for the Mac and Apple is the subscription site, here.

There are hundreds of choices: holidays of (most) all religions and countries, activities/play dates of sports teams & entertainers, celestial calendars, historical dates, etc.

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #18031 10/07/11 09:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
"Subscriptions" is merely the list of the calendars one may select and download, aka subscribe (free). It is for the Mac and Apple is the subscription site, here.

There are hundreds of choices: holidays of (most) all religions and countries, activities/play dates of sports teams & entertainers, celestial calendars, historical dates, etc.

I read somewhere that Apple hasn't updated the list to which you linked since the advent of the App Store, and a quick look at it seems confirmatory.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #18032 10/07/11 10:19 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: Pendragon

I read somewhere that Apple hasn't updated the list to which you linked since the advent of the App Store, and a quick look at it seems confirmatory.

I too noticed some out of date calendars, but did not know this was related to the App Store. Ergo, so how does one update the subscriptions?

Curious and couriouser...

Harv

Pendragon #18034 10/07/11 01:32 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

And that's why I reverted to my PandoCalendar (now version 7.0.8), but to get frames for same I had to download also Frames 3.1.3 from their site. smile

grelber #18036 10/07/11 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
And that's why I reverted to my PandoCalendar (now version 7.0.8), but to get frames for same I had to download also Frames 3.1.3 from their site. smile

But if it ain't in the machine, I ain't interested.

confused

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #18039 10/07/11 05:35 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Is there a question in there, re PandoCalendar?
The only one I can discern would be related to the fact that frames for the PandoCalendar (part of the Appearance specs) were formerly included in the PandoCalendar application and could be chosen (to surround ~ frame the calendar) within the application itself. Now they are separate downloads, and one has to chose from the separate Frames folder.

Subscriptions (for iCal) ain't stored in the machine, and according to several posts aren't even up-to-date were one to go fetch them from Apple.

grelber #18041 10/07/11 06:08 PM

I was asking why you d/l'ed Pando when you've seemed so adamant about wanting everything pre-installed on your iMac, or does that apply only to Apple stuff?

If so, you're being kinda narrow minded in refusing to acknowledge Apple's vast store of data because you've got to go on line to get to it; I don't know how big an HD you've got, but it might not be big enough to accommodate all the data for which you're asking plus your own. (The un-updated subscriptions are irrelevant to the basic issue.)

I understand the frustration that comes with with being stuck behind a 56K modem; been there...done that...happy as a bird to be past it, but it's an unreasonable reason for refusing to deal with Apple...cutting off your nose....

artie505 #18043 10/07/11 06:18 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Strange interpretations of my comments, most of which should be examined per se (ie, on own merits), not necessarily connected with one another. So I won't engage further on that.

As for a freezing avatar, mine is now frozen (whereas it wasn't earlier today). The only difference I see to FTM is the masthead honoring Steve Jobs — nicely done by the way — which might have something to do with it.

grelber #18050 10/07/11 08:07 PM

Strange interpretations of my comments, most of which should be examined per se (ie, on own merits), not necessarily connected with one another. So I won't engage further on that.

Not strange at all. The only way we can divine where you're coming from is to look at all your posts. And you're very definitely contradicting yourself.

But I was already mystified by your comment that you were only interested in what was already on your computer. Does that include software updates? (They don't come on your computer, but need to be downloaded as they become available.) Third party software?

Even if you focus only on calendars, how many calendars should Apple pre-install? If you look at the list, there are calendars for many countries (each of which has its own list of national holidays), many religions (each, again, with its own list of holidays), many sports (baseball, football, etc., each with their own events), and even calendars of "important" birthdays (of scientist, of musicians, of movie stars, you name it). Should Apple pre-install all of those, just to save you the bother of selecting the few you're interested in?

As for calendar updates... I don't know how often the list of calendars gets updated, but the calendars themselves most definitely get updated as needed. For example, the "U.S. Holidays" calendar includes events for the beginning/ending of daylight savings time in the U.S., and I know for a fact that those get updated each time the law changes. The point of making each calendar a subscription is that when Apple updates the master calendar on their site, iCal automatically tracks and displays the changes, so you don't need to keep checking for updates.

The subscription mechanism, of course, is not limited to Apple's calendars. You can publish your own "family" calendar that your relatives can subscribe to, so that if a family outing gets re-scheduled everyone in the family sees the change immediately. Or a company could publish a corporate calendar, visible only to employees. Your local softball Little League could publish its own calendar.

Should Apple pre-insall all those calendars too?

grelber #18064 10/07/11 11:09 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Thread closed temporarily for clean-up.

Edit: The Frozen avatar discussion has been moved over to FineTunedMac Feedback where it belongs so this (re-opened) thread can stay focused on iCal and PandoCalendar.

Last edited by cyn; 10/08/11 12:51 AM.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
ganbustein #18089 10/08/11 10:59 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

This particular discussion is now 'officially' in the realm of reductio ad absurdum. tongue

Additional explanation, I suppose, is the only way out, even at the risk of fueling the fires further. (I was just going to respond, "Bite me", but I thought I might try taking the high road. smirk ) All of which follows should be read with the proviso, IMHO, in case that isn't obvious.

My iMac DV SE (DoB 2000) came with a fair bit of software, such as Apple Works, Quicken Deluxe, FAXstf (to go with the internal 56K V.90 Fax/Modem) and Palm Desktop, the latter being similar to iCal and having a library of US holidays (just as one example) which one could drop into the calendar in one shot. Whether different holiday packets were supplied for other markets I have no idea; I had to add a few specifically Canadian holidays to mine. The point is that it came with the machine; one didn't have to go off campus to get it.

The same held true for Help. More or less complete, it was installed on the machine and performed the function of a reasonable user's guide. It should not be too much to ask for a similar courtesy in OS X and particularly for and in 10.7 when so many things have changed over all previous versions (the QuickTime, Library and other discussed issues particularly).

The major source of misunderstandings in terms of solutions to problems (I have) raised seem to result from proposed solutions based on reference to OSs other than mine (10.7.1).

Given the humongous amount of storage on the new Macs, it would be trivial to install a complete User's Guide qua Help function. The fact that Apple chose not to is an insult to and a distinct problem for the user — which this and several other threads have demonstrated. "Hanging ten" isn't as easy as it looks.

So let it be written, so let it be done. Oh yes, and bite me. wink

grelber #18091 10/08/11 03:16 PM

this
can help?

Jay

I-Mac 2.4ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 3gb/500 O.S..10.6.8
Jay-bird #18099 10/08/11 08:14 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, but it doesn't.

grelber #18112 10/09/11 09:23 AM

> This particular discussion is now 'officially' in the realm of reductio ad absurdum.

Most assuredly!

You are being unrealistically selfish and selfishly unrealistic, as well as petulant, in making such an issue of the loss of apps that were bundled with your iMac DV SE (DoB 2000)...apps that are of importance to possibly only you.

How about the users who are saying "Screw grelber's calendars and faxes! Where are the games Apple used to give me?" Or those who are saying "Screw the games; where are PCalc and GraphicConverter?" Or...?

Apple has given us iCal, an on-line, dynamically updating calendar database (maybe, anyhow), and the App Store as a source for anything the former two are lacking; why do you think they're obligated to do your legwork for you?

Apple has deprecated the modem, the fax means, fer chrisakes! Why on Earth do you think they're still obligated to support the fax process other than minimally?

The point being that lots of things have changed during your night in elf hill, grelber; Apple has moved on...the packaging, the perks, the hardware, the operating system, the bundled software...even the corporate outlook.

And have you stopped to consider that perhaps Apple has omitted much of its database from OS X's "Help" section as a benefit to users, i.e. because it's dynamically changing?

Do you want to have to go online every single day and d/l lord knows how much data in order to keep a zillion docs you will never look at up to date, or would you find going online every once in a while to get needed help be more cumbersome?

Last edited by artie505; 10/09/11 09:35 AM. Reason: Cleanup

artie505 #18122 10/09/11 04:17 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions in this thread and elsewhere.
But I don't appreciate the heaping on of verbal abuse or the slurs (in your current posting).
And your interpretation of the information in the post you're slamming is totally off the mark of what I meant (and stated quite clearly) — ie, your inferences have no basis in reality.
I'm just looking to find solutions to problems I'm facing. If that is inherently 'selfish', then so be it.
I'm not out to change the world, only my little bit of it, in the current situation, my computer use.
The point of these forums is to exchange information, not diatribes. That's what disrupted the group a fair while back, and I'm not interested in seeing that happen again.
If this sort of flaming continues, I'm outta here.

grelber #18143 10/09/11 10:50 PM

> But I don't appreciate the heaping on of verbal abuse or the slurs (in your current posting).

I didn't intend either when I posted, nor do I see either when I re-read.

Sorry, though, that that's the impression you got.

grelber #18182 10/11/11 01:44 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Just as a minor point, re loading a fair whack of information into the Help function on board new Macs covering 10.7:
Even if 50,000 Knowledge Base articles were included at an average size of 20KB, that would only amount to 1GB (only 0.2% of my hard drive). Hardly noticeable, but very convenient.

grelber #18186 10/11/11 05:15 PM

Just as a minor point, re loading a fair whack of information into the Help function on board new Macs covering 10.7:
Even if 50,000 Knowledge Base articles were included at an average size of 20KB, that would only amount to 1GB (only 0.2% of my hard drive). Hardly noticeable, but very convenient.

Don't compare it to the size of your hard drive. Pre-Lion, when the OS was still being delivered on DVDs, compare it to the size of the DVD. Remember that Apple has to squeeze a lot of information onto that DVD.

As of Lion, the OS is delivered as a download. Adding a "mere" 1GB to an already 4+ GB download would have people up in arms, and rightly so. Heck, even the developer tools are split off into a separate download, so that only developers need to download them.

Especially note that, as the only way to get anything is to download it, it makes sense to download stuff on demand. Don't waste bandwidth downloading everything and the kitchen sink; just download what the end user expresses an interest in.

And don't forget that pre-fetched data is often stale data. Those 50,000 Knowledge Base articles you mention are constantly being updated. Is it really worthwhile to repeatedly download them each time they change? We have this thing called the World Wide Web that deals quite handily with voluminous but constantly changing data, by re-fetching each page as it's asked for, rather than attempting to pre-fetch the entire web in a pointless attempt to never have to fetch anything.

Think of the Knowledge Base as just another website. It has lots of information, more than anyone has time to read in its entirety, and is constantly being updated. You wouldn't dream of keeping the entire New York Times website always up-to-date on your computer; why expect that doing so with the Knowledge Base would make any more sense?

grelber #18217 10/12/11 01:46 PM

Grelber I was attempting to reply and realized my reply was better lodged in The Lounge. You will find my response here

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard