Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: KeyFinder & faxSTF — substitutes?
artie505 #17983 10/06/11 08:46 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

faxZero (2 free faxes per day) is a nice idea ... but not for me. I don't wish to consign personal/private information to the cloud. Doing stuff online opens the door to 'pilfering' of information.

faxSTF kept things on my computer in their entirety.

grelber #17991 10/06/11 09:38 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber
faxZero (2 free faxes per day) is a nice idea ... but not for me. I don't wish to consign personal/private information to the cloud. Doing stuff online opens the door to 'pilfering' of information.

faxSTF kept things on my computer in their entirety.

That's understandable, but I still don't see your issue with OS X's built-in fax capability... So far, your only complaint about it seems to have been that it doesn't maintain a log, and that seems to be a pretty minor issue, or...?

And, on the other hand, since you've still got them, why don't you simply use your beloved faxSTF and dinosaur for faxing?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #17994 10/06/11 11:09 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
That's understandable, but I still don't see your issue with OS X's built-in fax capability... So far, your only complaint about it seems to have been that it doesn't maintain a log, and that seems to be a pretty minor issue, or...?
And, on the other hand, since you've still got them, why don't you simply use your beloved faxSTF and dinosaur for faxing?

Lion doesn't really have fax capability in any significant way — see earlier discussions. Log and info maintenance is crucial to me. And so I probably will resort to firing up the old iMac when I have to send faxes.

And further to the issue of the App Store:
When Apple provides me with at least one of the following for my iMac and Lion — a complete user's guide in hard copy or in PDF format, a complete user's guide to install in Mac Help on my iMac so that anything I want to know is resident there and immediately available without having to go online, or a free copy of David Pogue's book on Lion (The Missing Manual) coming out at the end of this month — I'll be glad to consider patronizing the App Store. But until then, Apple ain't getting' eny mo uv ma muney.

Hal Itosis #19206 11/16/11 08:49 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
But does it show how to get this char too? ⌘ or all these? ⇧ ⌥ ⎋
And does it tell you which fonts are actually (capable of) displaying them?

Going back to yesteryear (actually only to early October) ...
Is that command symbol findable in your version of OS X? I can't find it in 10.7.2 using Character Viewer.

One outstanding feature of Lion — new according to one of Pogue's notes (p 238) — is instant accented characters:
By holding down a letter key, a menu of possible accented choices shows up (identical apparently to iPhone).
The (mild) down side is that no longer (with a couple of exceptions) does holding down a key result in multiple expressions of that key's character.
So pretty much everything that I liked about KeyFinder in OS 9 has a counterpart in OS X Lion which is even more easily/rapidly accessible than in KeyFinder. Hotcha!

grelber #19210 11/16/11 10:13 PM

⌘

Is that command symbol findable in your version of OS X? I can't find it in 10.7.2 using Character Viewer.

In the text slot all the way at the bottom, search for: place of interest

[it's derived from a Swedish roadsign indicating historical sites, ruins, etc. -- and before that perhaps a cross. I'll go dig up a few links... back later.]

Sevärdhet (landmark, attraction)

http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/25/2518.html

http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/32/3220.html

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 11/16/11 10:23 PM.
Hal Itosis #19218 11/17/11 03:32 AM

Yep. When I was traveling in Northern and Eastern Europe, I saw that symbol on historical buildings all over the place. Even got a picture of it on the side of a church and blogged about it:

http://tacit.livejournal.com/338706.html

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #19221 11/17/11 10:31 AM

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Hal Itosis #19222 11/17/11 12:02 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

⌘

In the text slot all the way at the bottom, search for: place of interest

Either I'm having a stroke or ...

What text slot? Bottom of what? Where? What's a "place of interest" got to do with finding the symbol on my iMac?

grelber #19223 11/17/11 12:08 PM

In Snow Leopard, you can find ⌘ under Symbols>Technical Symbols in Character Viewer when you select the By Category tab. It's probably the same in Lion.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #19224 11/17/11 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
It's probably the same in Lion.

Well you know what happens when you assume don't you? The layout in Lion is not the same as that in Leopard or Snow Leopard. In Lion there are Arrows, Parenthesis, Punctuation, Currency Symbols,Pictographs, Bullets/Stars, Math Symbols, Letterlike Symbols, Emoji, and Latin. If the command symbol is in there, I am unable to find it. Neither can I find a key combination in Keyboard Viewer that will produce the Command symbol.

Of course neither Character Viewer or Keyboard Viewer show all the tens of thousands of characters and symbols available in the fonts.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #19225 11/17/11 02:56 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

Well you know what happens when you assume don't you? The layout in Lion is not the same as that in Leopard or Snow Leopard. In Lion there are Arrows, Parenthesis, Punctuation, Currency Symbols,Pictographs, Bullets/Stars, Math Symbols, Letterlike Symbols, Emoji, and Latin. If the command symbol is in there, I am unable to find it. Neither can I find a key combination in Keyboard Viewer that will produce the Command symbol.

What he said.

EDIT:
Oops. I didn't follow my own advice and check out what's "hidden" in the gear (action) menu in the Character Viewer. Select "Customize List..." and Technical Symbols is just one of a whole host of choices in addition to the default list.
This also explains the (previously) cryptic comment regarding "place of interest", since that's how it's labeled in the chart. ⌘

And if that weren't embarrassing enough ...
I also neglected to consult Pogue's manual, where on pp 246-248 all is revealed.

Last edited by grelber; 11/17/11 04:10 PM. Reason: ⌘
grelber #19227 11/17/11 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

What he said.

EDIT:
Oops. I didn't follow my own advice and check out what's "hidden" in the gear (action) menu in the Character Viewer. Select "Customize List..." and Technical Symbols is just one of a whole host of choices in addition to the default list.
This also explains the (previously) cryptic comment regarding "place of interest", since that's how it's labeled in the chart. ⌘

And if that weren't embarrassing enough ...
I also neglected to consult Pogue's manual, where on pp 246-248 all is revealed.

So there's no text "slot" to search by name anywhere? Lion users have to scroll and scroll and scroll? Why do i doubt that?

Hal Itosis #19231 11/17/11 07:03 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

So there's no text "slot" to search by name anywhere? Lion users have to scroll and scroll and scroll?

Not as far as I have been able to divine. But there's no scrolling involved (except within each category), and the tech items don't require it at all, since they all fit within a single window not requiring it.

As I've noted elsewhere, the "hidden" and "secret" stuff in Lion makes the cost of Pogue's tomb worth it, even at full cover price ($37 Cdn, $35 US, ca $23 via Amazon).

grelber #19234 11/17/11 09:08 PM

As I've noted elsewhere, the "hidden" and "secret" stuff in Lion makes the cost of Pogue's tomb worth it
AFIK, he's still alive. I think that you meant to write tome.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #19235 11/17/11 09:16 PM

As I've noted elsewhere, the "hidden" and "secret" stuff in Lion makes the cost of Pogue's tomb worth it
AFIK, he's still alive. I think that you meant to write tome.

Though i do admire Pogue and his writing, i wouldn't regard an Action menu (gear icon) sitting in plain sight to be "hidden" or "secret".

Hal Itosis #19239 11/17/11 10:26 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Indeed, I meant tome.

No, the gear is in plain sight, but one needs to open it and explore its contents for the "hidden" and possibly unexpected bits.

grelber #19662 12/16/11 05:43 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Remember the issue about KeyFinder and accented characters?
But of course you do.
Lion, I recently discovered (Pogue, p 238), has obviated all necessity for such, albeit by changing keyboard behavior somewhat.
Holding down any letter key delivers up most of the possible character diacritics one could need/want and selection of same is a simple click away.
Incredible! Unglaublich! Incroyable!
Lovely! Schön! Merveilleux!

grelber #19664 12/16/11 05:50 PM

laugh tongue laugh

alternaut moderator
grelber #19674 12/17/11 12:44 AM

Holding down any letter key delivers up most of the possible character diacritics one could need/want and selection of same is a simple click away.

Welcome to iOS. [that's how it's done on iPhones, iPads and iPods]

Hal Itosis #19723 12/18/11 08:59 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

That's consonant with the cover blurb on Pogue's book:
"What do you get when you cross a Mac with an iPad? Mac OS X 10.7 Lion."

Sometimes it's the little things in life in one's "voyage of discovery" that are uplifting, if not delightful ... almost like being a kid again.

Suffice it to say that my world will continue to exclude iPhones, iPads and iPods (as excessive wastes of time, energy and money, not to mention the disagreeable necessity of having to upgrade such on a regular basis which is more money down the drain). But that's just me. And I likes it just fine.

grelber #19731 12/18/11 07:56 PM

Suffice it to say that my world will continue to exclude iPhones, iPads and iPods (as excessive wastes of time, energy and money, not to mention the disagreeable necessity of having to upgrade such on a regular basis which is more money down the drain). But that's just me. And I likes it just fine.

Seems unnecessary to include that little blurb... unless it satisfies some need for self-justification i suppose. smirk

But (in that same spirit), I will soon be treating myself to a delicious 4S for Christmas. It will be my **first** iPhone.

Hal Itosis #19732 12/18/11 11:29 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

I will soon be treating myself to a delicious 4S for Christmas. It will be my **first** iPhone.

Mazel tov! And enjoy! smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard