FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Unable to load ebay site
#17715 09/30/11 08:44 PM
OP Offline

For the last couple of weeks when I try to access ebay, the site will not load - a page saying - Request Timeout the server timed out while waiting for the brower's request. This also happens when trying to log into Hotmail.
I have Snow Leopard.
There are no problems in loading other sites. Could the problem be in my computer? Would really appreciate some help with this. Eliza.

Re: Unable to load ebay site
elizatyt #17716 09/30/11 10:25 PM

1. With which browser(s) and version(s) thereof are you experiencing your issue?

2. Have you tried clearing both caches and stored (pertinent) cookies?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #17725 10/01/11 05:02 AM
OP Offline

I'm using Safari 5.0.2
Have cleared both cache and cookies and the first time I tried ebay the home page loaded. Tried to browse, but pages would not load. I shut that window and tried ebay again and got the Time Out notice.
With Hotmail, I get to the sign in page then it will not load further.
Eliza

elizatyt #17727 10/01/11 06:53 AM

Have you tried logging in to a test user account to see whether your issues follow you? (If you haven't already got one you can create one in /Apps/Sys Prefs > Accounts.)

Have you tried a browser other than Safari?

Have you considered updating your Safari installation? (You can get to v 5.0.5 by simply running the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1, and from there you can get to v 5.1 with this standalone d/l.)

Last edited by artie505; 10/01/11 06:59 AM. Reason: Add links

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
elizatyt #17733 10/01/11 09:20 AM

Do you have any third-party plugins installed? If so, try disabling them and see what happens.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Loading problems
#17744 10/01/11 10:25 PM
OP Offline

I've had to start a new question as the browser would not load on the 'reply'
Thanks for the suggestions. I have only a very basic knowledge of computers and could not follow the instructions to create a new user account.
Have downloaded Firefox, still cannot access ebay or hotmail.
I tried to update Safari - have 5.0.2.
Tried to update System, have 10.6.4, but need 10.6.8
Jon - I have not downloaded any plugins.
I downloaded MacKeeper Security Tools and ran the program, it said I have 2 critical issues, and 948 junk files. The only way it will fix that problem is for me to provide an email address - and the password. I cannot understand why I would need to give the password , surely that is private info? I'm really
confused now!

Last edited by alternaut; 10/06/11 07:53 PM. Reason: Merged this new thread with existing thread.
Re: Loading problems
elizatyt #17745 10/01/11 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: elizatyt
I downloaded MacKeeper Security Tools and ran the program, it said I have 2 critical issues, and 948 junk files. The only way it will fix that problem is for me to provide an email address - and the password. I cannot understand why I would need to give the password , surely that is private info?

If anyone said they need a password from me, I'd respond in the same way as you. A loud warning bell rings.

I would never give that kind of information to anyone I don't know, and very few people I do know.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 10/02/11 04:39 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
elizatyt #17746 10/02/11 02:31 AM

How are you connected to the Internet? A faulty proxy server setting in your network settings might cause this.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
elizatyt #17747 10/02/11 06:33 AM

They're not necessarily gospel, but based on the reviews posted here I wouldn't install MacKeeper on my worst enemy's Mac! (I tried the d/l link on the MacUpdate page and got an empty file.)

Edit: > I've had to start a new question as the browser would not load on the 'reply'

What, precisely, happened when you clicked on "Reply?"

Last edited by artie505; 10/02/11 07:16 AM.

elizatyt #17748 10/02/11 06:49 AM

> I [...] could not follow the instructions to create a new user account.

Here ya go...
  1. Launch System Preferences...found in your Mac's Applications folder.
  2. Click on "Accounts" in the "System" section.
  3. Click on the padlock and authenticate with your password.
  4. Click on the plus sign (beneath "Login Options").
  5. Fill in the blanks in the dialog box with which you're presented, and click on "Create Account."
  6. Check the "Allow user to administer this computer" box.
  7. Log in to your new account to see whether your issues follow you.
Alternatively, you can log in to your guest account, but my personal preference is a test Admin account.

elizatyt #17749 10/02/11 07:05 AM

> I tried to update Safari - have 5.0.2.
Tried to update System, have 10.6.4, but need 10.6.8

Clarifying my instructions for updating your OS X and Safari installations: Running the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 will update OS X to v 10.6.8 and Safari to v 5.0.5.

From there you can get to Safari 5.1 with this standalone d/l.

(Note that clicking on the blue type will take you directly to the Apple Web pages from which you can d/l the updates.)

elizatyt #17786 10/02/11 11:10 PM

Quote:
I downloaded MacKeeper Security Tools and ran the program, it said I have 2 critical issues, and 948 junk files. The only way it will fix that problem is for me to provide an email address - and the password. I cannot understand why I would need to give the password , surely that is private info? I'm really
confused now!

Are you sure what MacKeeper was requesting? If it was asking for your userid and password for your computer, that would not be an unexpected request for an application that may be deleting files from the systems area of your computer. In fact those files cannot be deleted without your userid and password. There are a large number of commonly used applications such as Cocktail, OnyX, CleanApp, TinkerTool System, that require you to enter your password before they can perform their particular magic on your computer.

If it was, in fact, asking for your email address or a network password my yellow caution lights would be flashing.

I have no direct or indirect experience with MacKeeper and so I am not qualified to comment on it functionally.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #17789 10/03/11 04:09 AM
OP Offline

I have been trying all the things suggested,- logging in as a guest, nothing changed. Tried to update to Mac OSX10.6.8., using the link supplied. The address showed up in the address bar, the blue line only moved to the first three letters then stopped (froze?) then a Request Timeout window appeared. The same thing happened when I tried the reply button yesterday, but worked fine today, for me to reply now.
The MacKeeper wanted the email address and password, would not function when I did not supply the info. That program went in the trash which I emptied.

Thinking I must have a bug I tried to buy a Security Program, tried Norton, the home page loaded but as I'm unable to upgrade to OSX 10.6.8, could not proceed
Tried McAfee, but the home page froze. When I was comparing the 2 programmes earlier, that page loaded o.k. This is how erratic my computer is behaving.
Many thanks for all the suggestions, I really do not know what to do now. Eliza.

joemikeb #17791 10/03/11 08:28 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I tried the d/l link on the MacUpdate page and got an empty file.

It's a new one on me; the "Install" package is a "d/l manager."

So I allowed MacKeeper to scan my installation, and I wasn't terribly impressed with its results...this stuff (It turns out that "Anti-Theft" is some sort of ZeoBit [developer] d/l.) and a list of out of date apps, the info regarding which was not 100% correct.

Further, I did not at all like the "Your system status is critical. [....]" message on this page...scare tactics, but to what end I can't guess.

I next discovered that MacKeeper requires you to create and log in to an account with ZeoBit before it "Fix(es) Issues".

I note that it had not asked for either my password or e-mail address up to that point (other than to install), but the account creation dialog asked for both.

Uninstalling MacKeeper was a bit of a nuisance...deleting it from /Apps required authentication, and it tried to run some sort of "Get-It-Free" nonsense by me first.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
There are a large number of commonly used applications such as Cocktail, OnyX, CleanApp, TinkerTool System, that require you to enter your password before they can perform their particular magic on your computer.

And therein lies my issue with OnyX and TinkerTool system, the only ones of that bunch that I've tried... I resent being asked for my password without knowing what it's going to be used for, and that means something more specific than "It may be needed for something."

System Preferences, by way of example, only asks for authentication if you get into an area that requires it, which, in my opinion, makes it a well-behaved app. (Yasu works similarly.)

elizatyt #17793 10/03/11 08:41 AM

I have been trying all the things suggested,- logging in as a guest, nothing changed. Tried to update to Mac OSX10.6.8., using the link supplied. The address showed up in the address bar, the blue line only moved to the first three letters then stopped (froze?) then a Request Timeout window appeared. The same thing happened when I tried the reply button yesterday, but worked fine today, for me to reply now.
The MacKeeper wanted the email address and password, would not function when I did not supply the info. That program went in the trash which I emptied.

Thinking I must have a bug I tried to buy a Security Program, tried Norton, the home page loaded but as I'm unable to upgrade to OSX 10.6.8, could not proceed
Tried McAfee, but the home page froze. When I was comparing the 2 programmes earlier, that page loaded o.k. This is how erratic my computer is behaving.
Many thanks for all the suggestions, I really do not know what to do now. Eliza.

First, stay away from Norton, stay away from Norton, stay away from Norton!!! It is well-documented as being poisonous to Macs. (I can't speak for McAfee other than to say that there are no known Mac viruses out there yet.)

Your potpourri of issues has got me thinking that it's time to change direction and get down to some basics here... Launch /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, select your HD in the sidebar, run "Repair (not Verify) Permissions," and let us know if anything changes.

I think it's time to wish you mucho good luck! smile

elizatyt #17829 10/03/11 06:21 PM

It is possible that absolutely nothing is wrong with your computer, and the problem is in your Internet connection. Sites like eBay use secure connections, which are different from normal connections. If something is wrong with your computer's Internet connection, it is possible to be able to connect to some sites but not others.

It is also possible that your computer is infected with malware that tries to hijack connections to secure sites like eBay and steal your passwords. This malware usually comes disguised as phony "updates" to Adobe Flash. It looks very official; you'll go to a Web site and you'll see a realistic-looking message. complete with official Adobe logos, that tells you you have to update Flash. It will download an updater program that also has realistic Adobe logos and looks very official.

But it is not a Flash update. It is actually a program that searches for certain popular Web sites in your browser address bar, such as PayPal or eBay, and then tries to redirect you to fake sites that steal your passwords.

Have you done any updates like that lately?

tacit #17849 10/03/11 10:50 PM
OP Offline

I've just lost the reply I had made, it would not load and timed out. So will try again. artie505 I tried your suggestion - twice, and it seems some things were repaired, some not. I tried to copy and paste to show what had happened but managed to clear the window. It said on the not fixed ones - should be 80, is 0

tacit - yes I did download an update for Flash ( i thought). I did what should never be done, and downloaded from a link, not the web page. Seems that could be the problem ? What programme could fix it? I will wait for advice before I attempt anything.
Many thanks for your help. Eliza.

elizatyt #17852 10/03/11 10:59 PM

I don't recall ever seeing "Repair Permissions" report that something wasn't repaired.

I'd like to know what that was all about.

Edit: If you launch Disk Utility and hit command-L you may find that the log that comes up still contains the results of your running "Repair Permissions."

Additionally, I've been thinking that a good cache clearing may do your Mac some good, so I'll suggest that you download OnyX (freeware) and run its "Automation" tab; it will ask for your password, but it's a trusted utility, so not to worry.

Last edited by artie505; 10/03/11 11:09 PM.

artie505 #17853 10/04/11 03:46 AM
OP Offline

I did the command L, so have copy and pasted some of the log. Could give you an idea of what is what ? I did clean out both the cache and cookies a few days ago.Tk. you, Eliza.

2011-10-04 06:45:46 +1100: Group differs on "Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBiTunesPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/Resources/MBiTunesSmartPlaylist.tif", should be 80, group is 0.
2011-10-04 06:45:46 +1100: Repaired "Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBiTunesPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/Resources/MBiTunesSmartPlaylist.tif".
2011-10-04 06:45:46 +1100: Group differs on "Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBiTunesPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/Resources/MBiTunesSong.tif", should be 80, group is 0.
2011-10-04 06:45:46 +1100: Repaired "Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBiTunesPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/Resources/MBiTunesSong.tif".
2011-10-04 06:45:46 +1100: Group differs on "Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug- 0.
2011-10-04 06:45:46 +1100: Repaired "Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBiTunesPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/_CodeSignature".
2011-10-04 06:45:46 +1100: Group differs on "Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBiTunesPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be 80, group is 0.
2011-10-04 06:45:46 +1100: Repaired "Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBiTunesPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources".
2011-10-04 06:45:46 +1100: Group differs on "Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBiTunesPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/version.plist", should be 80, group is 0.
2011-10-04 06:45:46 +1100: Repaired "Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBiTunesPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/version.plist".
2011-10-04 06:46:01 +1100: Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/libruby.dylib", should be lrwxrwxrwx , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
2011-10-04 06:46:01 +1100: Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/libruby.dylib".
2011-10-04 06:46:29 +1100: Permissions differ on "usr/libexec/cups/backend/fax", should be lrwx------ , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
2011-10-04 06:46:29 +1100: Repaired "usr/libexec/cups/backend/fax".

elizatyt #17855 10/04/11 07:23 AM

I did the command L, so have copy and pasted some of the log. Could give you an idea of what is what ? I did clean out both the cache and cookies a few days ago.Tk. you, Eliza.

There's nothing in that laundry list that looks particularly out of line (to me, anyhow) (Edit: ...certainly nothing that wasn't repaired); I wouldn't worry about it. Just a note, though, that there are some items that get repaired every time you run "RP," no matter how many times you run it, so don't worry if you see recurring items.

As for your having cleared your cache and cookies, I suspect that you used Safari's built-in options, but, noting that some utilities get deeper into the system than do Safari's options, I'm changing my OnyX recommendation to TinkerTool System...shareware that you can run in test mode at no cost; run its entire cache clearing functionality and see if it turns the trick.

Good luck.

Last edited by artie505; 10/04/11 07:25 AM.

elizatyt #17925 10/05/11 05:54 PM

tacit - yes I did download an update for Flash ( i thought). I did what should never be done, and downloaded from a link, not the web page. Seems that could be the problem ? What programme could fix it? I will wait for advice before I attempt anything.
Many thanks for your help. Eliza.

Do this:

Click on System Preferences.

In System preferences, click on Network.

On the left-hand side, click on how you get access to the Internet. (If you access the Internet wirelessly, click AirPort. If you access the Internet by plugging a cable into your computer, click Ethernet.)

Click the button that says Advanced.

You'll see some tabs across the top of the window that say things like TCP/IP, DNS, WINS, 802.1x, and so on. Click the one that says DNS.

What numbers do you see in the DNS pane?

tacit #17974 10/06/11 04:15 AM
OP Offline

Tacit, I followed your instructions and when Airport was clicked it said Status on.
Airport is turned on but is not connected to a network.
I clicked on DNS, there was nothing in the pane. By the + - box at the bottom of the page was IPv4 or IPv6. I'm using a Telstra Internet Dongle for connection.

Talked to the teck's where I bought the computer, and I now have a separate side to the computer, it opens with a different log in. This should have enabled me to download the update for Mac OS X Snow Leopard, but I was unable to download any updates.
Where to now ??? Many thanks, Eliza.

elizatyt #18006 10/06/11 05:15 PM

If AirPort status says you aren't connected to the Internet, you must be getting your Internet connection some other way (or else you wouldn't be here). Does it still say that if you look at it now?

tacit #18014 10/06/11 07:38 PM
OP Offline

Checked the DNS Window, and now have 10.4.85.138
showing.
Nothing in the window yesterday, these numbers there today. I'm only using the
dongle to connect to the internet. Eliza.

elizatyt #18022 10/06/11 08:13 PM

Just to get on the proper footing here, is your internet dongle a USB modem of the types listed here? Does it appear in the left column of your Network System Prefs panel (along with Ethernet, Airport, Bluetooth etc.) or under the Location pull down menu at the top of the pref panel?

alternaut moderator
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard