Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: iMac desktops
artie505 #17819 10/03/11 01:32 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

If that CUPS thing is on my machine, it's sure doing a good job of hiding. It only shows up if I go to that URL while online.

That Favorites thing is a colossal waste of time (as noted in my post to jchuzi). "Flow" is everything when composing.

Now I'm noticing that my space bar doesn't want to function properly thus allowing words to run together. And there's no way to control for speed of typing (which might alleviate the problem, which (again) would not occur in OS 9 which allows the key speed to be adjusted, not just the 'repeat' speed).

Add to that: I’ve just spent an hour and a half on the telephone with Apple Tech Support, mostly with a supervisor, and they couldn’t do anything for me with regard to any of the stuff we’ve been dancing around with in this forum.
I’m just about ready to throw in the towel — meaning return the equipment to its maker*, continue blissfully on with my iMac DV SE and Mozilla until they crash and burn, and then leave the computer world completely.

Do I sound depressed? Jawohl. But I’m being realistic about wanting to stop the frustration and all other negative issues I’ve been undergoing.

* How do I erase all additions to the computer (programs, files, caches, etc) added to it since I fired it up? I don't want my personal information left on the machine if I return it.

Right now I've got to go back to my old set-up just to retain my sanity, otherwise I might throw myself under a bus.

grelber #17821 10/03/11 03:25 PM

Is this lengthy thread still on the original topic? I lost 10 pounds reading it . . . without reading it all.

smile grin

grelber #17822 10/03/11 04:44 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

As earlier noted, everything about OS X (Lion) is opaque and depressing in the attempt to use it (particularly when even the Search function returns nonsensical and irrelevant information, such as how to search).
I’ll give myself another 24 hours to try to break out of this funk and see this thing as other than a punishment for trying to abandon my old iMac and OS 9.

In any case, I’ve taken steps to return the machine for a refund; Apple is sending me return shipping labels.

But before I do so, I’ll need to erase all (especially personal) information from the machine and have been told by Apple that the following is the appropriate procedure:

Reboot with command-R
Find Recovery HD
Open Disk Utility
Choose HD
Choose Erase

I need to know if this will completely clear everything I’ve put on the machine or that the machine has generated, both online and offline, without residue – ie, that no information can be recovered. So, if anyone out there can confirm that those instructions will do the trick, please let me know.

grelber #17833 10/03/11 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
As earlier noted, everything about OS X (Lion) is opaque and depressing in the attempt to use it (particularly when even the Search function returns nonsensical and irrelevant information, such as how to search).
I’ll give myself another 24 hours to try to break out of this funk and see this thing as other than a punishment for trying to abandon my old iMac and OS 9.

In any case, I’ve taken steps to return the machine for a refund; Apple is sending me return shipping labels.

But before I do so, I’ll need to erase all (especially personal) information from the machine and have been told by Apple that the following is the appropriate procedure:

Reboot with command-R
Find Recovery HD
Open Disk Utility
Choose HD
Choose Erase

I need to know if this will completely clear everything I’ve put on the machine or that the machine has generated, both online and offline, without residue – ie, that no information can be recovered. So, if anyone out there can confirm that those instructions will do the trick, please let me know.

I realized a bit too late to post earlier that you've got some issues going that are causing you much frustration and grief...
  1. You're searching for things with Spotlight rather than typing your search phrases into "Help" (in your menu bar).
  2. You're not asking "Help" for advice about how to do things, thereby forcing yourself to rely on FTM for advice that may not be as in-depth or focused as Apple's might be.
  3. You're overlooking the fact that appropriately worded Google searches can yield reams of meaningful info. (Type your search phrase, followed by a single space, followed by site:apple.com.)
Further, your posts have frequently comprised two or three different issues plus a rant, and that has resulted in responses to several questions being wrapped around each other, which has further resulted in your failing to focus on many of those responses. I can point out at least three instances in this thread in which I've had to repeat the same URL, advice, suggestion two, three, maybe even four times before they've registered in your consciousness.

I urge you to keep going in this endeavor, but I also urge you to break up your posts into individual topics and, further, to post them in the forums in which they belong; you'll get more people reading your posts, have a better chance of getting meaningful responses to questions, and save some of your own sanity.

To you final question, though... The erase technique you got from Apple sounds correct (based on what I've read about Lion), but the tech neglected to tell you about multiple overwrite options: You can do a one, seven, or thirty five pass erase, depending on the sensitivity of your info, your degree of paranoia, and the amount of time you're willing to invest in the process.

Edit: A seven pass erase is military grade.

Last edited by artie505; 10/03/11 06:45 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
grelber #17834 10/03/11 06:59 PM

> If that CUPS thing is on my machine, it's sure doing a good job of hiding. It only shows up if I go to that URL while online.

That's very interesting, but it's not responsive to my question, namely, does "that CUPS thing" > Completed Jobs contain the fax records for which you've been looking?

(If you'd like to know more about "that CUPS thing," I suggest that you post a question in the Networking Forum.)

Aside: I know nothing about this app, so I'm not recommending it, but SimpleKeys for Mac - Assign functions to your keyboard F-keys addresses one of your previously posted needs. (There are similar apps, some free, some more or less costly.)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #17840 10/03/11 07:46 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks once again for your (last 2) responses.

No, the completed jobs record was empty (because as soon as the fax was sent everything disappeared), so there was nothing for CUPS to record. Whatever.

I spent another hour or so on the telephone with an Apple supervisor, again to no avail, except to be patronizingly told that OS X (Lion) is "light-years beyond OS 9". Duh.

I'm just too long in the tooth and have zero interest in waiting for tutorials qua downloads on dial-up to assist me in my search for truth and knowledge and the functioning of OS X. Not to put too fine a point on it — my operative level is: lazy.

I just don't relish the anxiety and frustration of dealing with a computer system that won't do my bidding without advanced training and even more so because the functionality of my OS 9.0.4 is perfectly adequate for everything I do and is actually more useful given the installed programs (which have nothing comparable in OS X) for my purposes. I'm just way too comfortable with OS 9 and Mozilla; I'd rather spend my time watching DVDs of recent movies than put up with the crap of OS X.

Unless something dramatic happens overnight, this sucker is headed back to Apple for a full refund (or possibly I'll sell it to a colleague for what I paid).

So, thanks, artie (et al), for your input and allowing me to vent my anger and frustration. All in all, it's been a gas for the past decade plus for the forums in all their incarnations. It's time to move on. I imagine that I'll continue pop up from time to time in the Lounge.

grelber out.

grelber #17845 10/03/11 10:24 PM

I think you're making a mistake by not allowing yourself enough time to ease into a completely new OS. It may require thinking outside of the box, something you demonstrated more than once in these forums and their predecessors. But the bottom line is that the decision is yours. I can only wish you all the best. Don't be a stranger!

alternaut moderator
grelber #17860 10/04/11 09:07 AM

> No, the completed jobs record was empty (because as soon as the fax was sent everything disappeared), so there was nothing for CUPS to record. Whatever.

That's odd; its not a feature that I made much use of, but I do remember CUPS storing info back when I was faxing resumes, and, after all, a completed job is a completed job.

At any rate, although I really do understand your frustration and its resultant thinking, I also agree with alternaut, and I think it may pay you to reconsider your quite possibly unrealistic "continue blissfully on with my iMac DV SE and Mozilla until they crash and burn, and then leave the computer world completely."

Oh, well... See you 'round the Lounge if nowhere else. smile

Edit: Just noticed that your cat is back to its perambulating.

Last edited by artie505; 10/04/11 09:08 AM.

grelber #18735 10/26/11 09:34 PM

This thread was temporarily closed for a clean up. It is now reopened.

A branch of posts addressing the Magic Mouse has been detached from this thread and is now located in the Peripherals forum. See: Questions about Magic Mouse.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard