Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: iMac desktops
alternaut #17781 10/02/11 09:59 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

I guess I wasn't clear, re Target Disk Mode. I didn't try to muck around with it at all. I didn't buy a FireWire 800 adapter (at least not yet), so the point was moot from that perspective.
More relevant, like Warren Buffet, if I don't understand it, I don't invest in it. My singular major leap of faith was to bump up to OS X, but that's as far as my skittishness will take me.

RE in Leopard you could add/change keyboard shortcuts via the homonymous tab on the Keyboard & Mouse Preference (System Preferences, Hardware):
There ain't no such thing in Lion; Keyboard is way pared down.
And I've done several Web searches to try to find that lovely little utility, but the only thing that pops up relates to "product key".

grelber #17782 10/02/11 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
1. I didn't see anything in Console's sidebar that looked like it might be what I wanted, eg fax log.
The Image Shack item doesn't seem to be relevant.

2. On my old iMac I could assign virtually anything to the function keys, especially certain frequently used applications such as Word or my browser access — via the control panel Keyboard under Function Key Mappings. I can’t find anything similar in 10.7.1 – certainly not under Keyboard in Preferences. Does it exist? And if so, where?

3. Also nice little utilities such as KeyFinder (chart for all fonts) and Key Caps.

1. But did you try the URL I posted?

In Snow Leopard I've got a fax log, so it seemed reasonable that Lion might generate one. (Edit: In case it's not obvious, fax is under /private/var/log.)

(And you saw where Database Searches > Console Messages is, didn't you?)

2. OS X hasn't got that functionality built in; I use Butler (one of many apps with keyboard mapping functionality) to assign hot keys.

3. The current equivalent of KeyFinder is, I guess, /Apps/Font Book.

Key Caps has been history for so long that I don't even remember precisely what it did, but I think /Apps/Sys Prefs > Language & Text > Input sources > Keyboard & Character Viewer is today's closest built-in approximation.

Last edited by artie505; 10/02/11 10:33 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
alternaut #17783 10/02/11 10:29 PM

> Likewise, a Character Palette and Keyboard Viewer are available via the Input Menu pane of the International preference (System Prefs, Personal). The latter can be placed on the menu bar by selecting one or more languages from the same Input Menu list.

First, that pref moved to Language & Text > Input Sources in SL, and second, a Character Viewer/Keyboard Viewer icon is placed in your menu bar by checking the appropriate box, and that icon used to be the flag associated with your selected language, but beginning with Snow Leopard it is a generic one unless you check at least two languages, in which case you do get a flag.

Edit: Just updating you to SL there. (I have yet to run across anything that indicates that things have changed in Lion.)

Last edited by artie505; 10/02/11 10:53 PM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
grelber #17784 10/02/11 10:35 PM

RE in Leopard you could add/change keyboard shortcuts via the homonymous tab on the Keyboard & Mouse Preference (System Preferences, Hardware):
Create keyboard shortcuts for applications

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #17785 10/02/11 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Create keyboard shortcuts for applications

On my old iMac I could assign virtually anything to the function keys, especially certain frequently used applications such as Word or my browser access [....]

Originally Posted By: Your linked doc
You can create keyboard shortcuts only for existing menu commands. You can’t define keyboard shortcuts for general purpose tasks such as opening an application or switching between applications. (Emphasis added)

artie505 #17792 10/03/11 08:33 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

As I thought.

And I really liked KeyFinder, which would give a chart of the entire keyboard by font and show how to access characters, especially useful in fonts such as Symbol. So now I guess one just guesses.

artie505 #17794 10/03/11 08:45 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

RE 1. But did you try the URL I posted?
In Snow Leopard I've got a fax log, so it seemed reasonable that Lion might generate one. (Edit: In case it's not obvious, fax is under /private/var/log.)

The URL posted led to Apple discussion group, which wasn't relevant.
How do I find /private/var/log — whatever that is?
As I've noted, I have no clue how OS X organizes stuff, how to find anything (trying searches usually just gives me a huge list of stuff that doesn't address the issue; eg, if I search for "fax", it gives me a thousand documents with the word fax in the file name, which in fact do not have the word in the file name). All very frustrating.

RE 3. The current equivalent of KeyFinder is, I guess, /Apps/Font Book.

That doesn't even come close; just a picture of keys without a way to choose where to find things such as 2-em dash (opt+shift+hyphen). This is all going to be a real pain without KeyFinder.

grelber #17797 10/03/11 09:29 AM

1. But did you try the URL I posted?

The URL posted led to Apple discussion group, which wasn't relevant.

2. How do I find /private/var/log — whatever that is?

As I've noted, I have no clue how OS X organizes stuff, how to find anything (trying searches usually just gives me a huge list of stuff that doesn't address the issue; eg, if I search for "fax", it gives me a thousand documents with the word fax in the file name, which in fact do not have the word in the file name). All very frustrating.

3. The current equivalent of KeyFinder is, I guess, /Apps/Font Book.

That doesn't even come close; just a picture of keys without a way to choose where to find things such as 2-em dash (opt+shift+hyphen). This is all going to be a real pain without KeyFinder.

1. Wrong URL... I meant this one: <http://127.0.0.1:631/printers/Modem_interne> (Omit the <>.)

2. Sorry for being unclear... I meant that you should look for /private/var/log in Console's sidebar and, after clicking on the disclosure triangle, see if you've got a fax log.

3. Edit: Your description is of Keyboard Viewer, not Font Book, so check out FB and see if it's at all useful.

Launch Keyboard Viewer and watch what happens when you depress (one at a time) the function and option keys; you may find it helpful.

I'm not really clear about KeyFinder's functionality; maybe somebody more familiar with it can point you in the right direction.

Last edited by artie505; 10/03/11 09:32 AM.

grelber #17798 10/03/11 09:31 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Misc gripes and queries:

Compared to Mozilla 1.0.1, Firefox 7 is a dog. Eg, embedded movies have to await full download before playing and even then aren't part of the browser (except maybe in cache).

What plug-ins might be recommended for Mac OS X and Firefox?
I had to download Flip4Mac's Windows Media Player which got inserted into QuickTime.

What other applications might be good for the Mac? I checked freemacware.com, but I'd grow old and die before being able to wade through all the possibilities.

grelber #17799 10/03/11 09:38 AM

> What plug-ins might be recommended for Mac OS X and Firefox?

> What other applications might be good for the Mac?

Those are more or less rhetorical questions; you'll get useful results only if you tell us what functionality you desire and can't find.

Edit: Personally, I've found all of my 3rd party apps and Safari extensions by perusing MacUpdate: Download Apple Mac Software daily and reading FTM and MFIF posts.

Edit 2: Have you noticed that the cat in your avatar freezes periodically?

Last edited by artie505; 10/03/11 09:43 AM.

artie505 #17800 10/03/11 09:44 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

I couldn't find Keyboard Viewer and when I did a search for it all that showed up was a bunch of my documents which (again) supposedly had that in the file name which isn't the case.
What is wrong with the way I'm searching? I go to a panel which shows me Macintosh HD and I put the search term in the upper right space and the above is what happens/results.

I did as suggested in Console and all that showed up were uninterpretable lists of things the computer did, not a log which a user can comprehend. I'm looking for something far more user-friendly such as I had in fax STF.

artie505 #17802 10/03/11 09:48 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

I don't really know what plug-ins and such I might need.

My avatar doesn't freeze for me as far as I can tell.

grelber #17803 10/03/11 10:02 AM

1. I couldn't find Keyboard Viewer and when I did a search for it all that showed up was a bunch of my documents which (again) supposedly had that in the file name which isn't the case.
What is wrong with the way I'm searching? I go to a panel which shows me Macintosh HD and I put the search term in the upper right space and the above is what happens/results.

2. I did as suggested in Console and all that showed up were uninterpretable lists of things the computer did, not a log which a user can comprehend. I'm looking for something far more user-friendly such as I had in fax STF.

1. The problem with the way you're searching is... You're searching rather than following posted instructions; my posts #17782 and #17783 detail how to access Keyboard Viewer and Character Viewer and get their icon into your menu bar.

2. Is "all that showed up were uninterpretable lists of things the computer did" a description of what you found in Console > /private/var/log > fax, and did you try the URL I posted?

grelber #17804 10/03/11 10:07 AM

1. I don't really know what plug-ins and such I might need.

2. My avatar doesn't freeze for me as far as I can tell.

1. And we've got -0- idea of your computing habits/needs; I suggest that you shelf the question until you've got more OS X experience and, perhaps, an idea of what you don't see that you'd like to see and, conversely, what you do see that you'd prefer to not see.

2. Your avatar is frozen in my Safari at the moment.

artie505 #17805 10/03/11 10:19 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

My short-term memory ain't that good, so I didn't harken back to those two posts.
I don’t know how, but I found that Keyboard Viewer (tiny, barely readable panel) and somehow got it installed in the menu bar. It does what you said, but it’s not as useful as KeyFinder which explicitly defines the keystrokes for particular characters.

And then I came across a panel which is titled Characters showing various things and notes that one can “Add to Favorites”. What does that mean? And how would one use it? What are Favorites and how do they relate to working with a keyboard and writing stuff down? This is all massively confusing.

And yes, it is "a description of what you found in Console > /private/var/log > fax" (ie, of no value).
As for the URL: I don't know which one you're referring to, but I certainly read at one point or another.

artie505 #17806 10/03/11 10:22 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

RE Your avatar is frozen in my Safari at the moment.

Then it's likely Safari that's the culprit. I have yet to it freeze in Firefox 7 (or its predecessor, Mozilla 1.0.1).

grelber #17807 10/03/11 10:36 AM

And then I came across a panel which is titled Characters showing various things and notes that one can “Add to Favorites”. What does that mean? And how would one use it? What are Favorites and how do they relate to working with a keyboard and writing stuff down? This is all massively confusing.

And yes, it is "a description of what you found in Console > /private/var/log > fax" (ie, of no value).
As for the URL: I don't know which one you're referring to, but I certainly read at one point or another.

Character Viewer is a compilation of characters, symbols, fonts, et al that you'll have to completely peruse to understand, and adding items to "Favorites" is simply an easy way to access (Edit: and enter) them again after you've worn out your eyeballs finding them the first time.

OK... Try this: Enter http://127.0.0.1:631/printers/Modem_interne in the address bar of a new Safari window, hit "enter." and see what comes up.

Edit 2: What you're going through is an object lesson in the value of periodic, incremental upgrades.

Further, trying to reconcile OS 9 functionality with that of OS X 10.7 is major-league frustrating, so please bear with me if I seem to get cross occasionally. smile

Last edited by artie505; 10/03/11 10:42 AM.

artie505 #17808 10/03/11 10:47 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

I don't understand.

What's Favorites? It's not 'easy' if I don't know where or what it is or how to use it (make it do my bidding).

I put that URL in and got an online panel. But how does that relate to what I need?
I need a fax log which specifies what I sent (ie, copy of same), time and date stamps, person and place faxed, etc.

And I still need to know how to search and get relevant stuff back. As noted, the only thing that ever pops up is a whack of my Word documents which are completely irrelevant to the search.
There must be some setting for Search that will provide something other than phoney results.

artie505 #17809 10/03/11 10:49 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

RE Edit 2: What you're going through is an object lesson in the value of periodic, incremental upgrades.

I don't get that either. What should I be upgrading?

grelber #17810 10/03/11 10:56 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

I just went back to that CUPS thing and it had identified my printer and modem.
But what good is this if it's not on my machine? I can't imagine wanting to display my personal faxing on the Web.

My head's about to burst because I'm not understanding anything about how my machine works or how to make it do anything I want. I'm just about to disconnect it and go back to my iMac DV SE and Mozilla 1.0.1, because at least I understand what's going on and can get my bidding done — including searches which are relevant, embedded movies which play without having to completely download first, etc etc.

With the exception of a nice keyboard and cool mouse, the new set-up sucks big time.

grelber #17811 10/03/11 11:10 AM

What's Favorites? It's not 'easy' if I don't know where or what it is or how to use it (make it do my bidding).
Character Viewer has three tabs, one of which is Favorites (the others are By Category and By Radical). In it, you can store characters that you frequently use so that you can access them easily. For complete instructions, read Mac OS X 10.7 Help: Enter special characters and symbols.

Character Viewer does not give you the keyboard combinations for those characters (é, for example, can be typed by pressing Option-e, releasing those keys, and then pressing e) but it does allow you to drag the character into your document (or click Insert) but you can view all the combinations by choosing among the ones listed in Accent Codes for the Macintosh. For more characters, see this Google search page.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
grelber #17812 10/03/11 11:14 AM

I don't understand.

1. What's Favorites? It's not 'easy' if I don't know where or what it is or how to use it (make it do my bidding).

2. I put that URL in and got an online panel. But how does that relate to what I need?
I need a fax log which specifies what I sent (ie, copy of same), time and date stamps, person and place faxed, etc.

3. And I still need to know how to search and get relevant stuff back. As noted, the only thing that ever pops up is a whack of my Word documents which are completely irrelevant to the search.
There must be some setting for Search that will provide something other than phoney results.

1. "Favorites" is for "bookmarking" Character Viewer items that you foresee using and re-using; it makes them more easily accessible than searching for them time after time would be.

If you need to use a "Favorite," you launch Character Viewer, hit the "Favorites" tab, select the item you want, and hit "Insert;" your item will be entered in the doc you are working on when you call up CV.

2. As I said, I'm not at all certain that it's of any use to you, but since it purports to be a fax log it may actually contain the info for which you're looking; if you've sent any faxes from your new iMac do they appear under Jobs > Completed Jobs, and is their documentation sufficient for your needs?

> But what good is this if it's not on my machine?

My bad... I should have explained that the "CUPS thing" is on your machine, not on the Internet (but please don't ask me to be any more specific).

3. Many FTMers use EasyFind; I suggest that you d/l it and give it a try. (Personally, I disable Spotlight and use EasyFind exclusively.)

grelber #17813 10/03/11 11:18 AM

RE Edit 2: What you're going through is an object lesson in the value of periodic, incremental upgrades.

I don't get that either. What should I be upgrading?

OS 9 --> OS X 10.0 --> OS X 10.1 --> OS X 10.2 --> OS X 10.3 --> do you get it now?

You'd have learned gradually and shared the learning experience with the entire body of Mac users as opposed to enduring the agony you're now going through.

grelber #17814 10/03/11 11:25 AM

1. My head's about to burst because I'm not understanding anything about how my machine works or how to make it do anything I want. I'm just about to disconnect it and go back to my iMac DV SE and Mozilla 1.0.1, because at least I understand what's going on and can get my bidding done — including searches which are relevant, embedded movies which play without having to completely download first, etc etc.

2. With the exception of a nice keyboard and cool mouse, the new set-up sucks big time.

1. Refer to my most recent earlier post (#17813).

2. It's a function of your being so far behind in the learning experience; give yourself some time.

Edit: And keep one thing in mind...that your old iMac may have many attributes that your new one hasn't got (or that you haven't figured out yet), but immortality is, most assuredly, not one of them!

Last edited by artie505; 10/03/11 01:12 PM.

jchuzi #17818 10/03/11 01:23 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, but that just doesn't allow me to write documents in a convenient way if I have to paddle back and forth from place to place. Just trying to use Symbol font (which doesn't show up in Keyboard Viewer, which only shows U.S. at the top, not the font selected) would be by guess and by golly.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard