Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: iMac desktops
alternaut #17731 10/01/11 08:38 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Not having a lot of fun dealing with the new iMac and set-up – although I like the wired full keyboard and the Magic Mouse and the galaxy screen saver for the Desktop.

The USRobotics 5637 modem works but is slow (and I can’t find out how to determine transmission rate, which was always visible in the ARA panel) and it doesn’t appear to have an activity log so that I can determine how long each connection session is (again unlike ARA). Tech support at USRobotics advises that a log should be somewhere on my Mac, but if it is I have no way of finding it. Any ideas on any of this?

Somewhere on my old iMac there’s a library of photos from which I chose a desktop picture, but I can’t find it. I’d like to transfer them to my new iMac and put them in a similar library (to use, eg, for the stupid ID picture on logging in to my own computer, which is a royal pain). Anybody have a clue?

As for transferring files I’m just going to copy to a USB drive and be done with it. At least the technique is transparent. It takes a while to load the thumbdrive but it transfers quickly onto the new iMac.

grelber #17732 10/01/11 09:19 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber
I have no idea where to find firmware version.
Please provide explicit instructions.
Apple System Profiler should provide the answer. Look for Boot ROM version; that's the same as firmware version.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
grelber #17734 10/01/11 09:33 AM

> Tech support at USRobotics advises that a log should be somewhere on my Mac, but if it is I have no way of finding it. Any ideas on any of this?

Logs can generally be found via /Applications/Utilities/Console > Log List (If you don't see it, hit "Show Log List" in Console's toolbar.), but since we've no idea what your log is called, the best I can do is suggest that you cruise the list for names that sound pertinent, and check them out.

This may get you an easy answer, though... Launch Console, and select Database Searches > Console Messages from the log list before you try to connect with your ISP; then hit "Connect" and watch for Console messages before, during, and after the connection is made.

You may also be able to find the info for which you're looking in /Apps/System Preferences > Network > Modem > Advanced (but, on the other hand, I'm not even certain that that path is correct).

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #17735 10/01/11 11:38 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

iTunes: 1GB loaded lickety-split and perfectly. Grazie mille for the advice. I tested it by listening to Pepper Rabbit’s “Older Brother” — I had forgotten how teary-eyed that makes me, but I was promptly reminded.

Also re modem: The user’s guide is a bunch of uncoordinated html pages under manuals. Feh. I can’t believe how slow the modem transfers data. Any suggestions? The telephone help isn’t available until Monday. This modem is at least 50% slower than the ARA in my old iMac under OS 9.0.4.

Now I'll check for the log. No dice. Nothing resembles what was suggested. And launching Console doesn't give me anything like Database Searches > Console Messages as an option.

grelber #17736 10/01/11 11:52 AM

As I mentioned in an earlier post, you should be able to keep track of connection time via a simple pull-down menu, once said menu is installed in your menu bar.

Mac OS X 10.7 Help: Showing modem status in the menu bar.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #17740 10/01/11 03:06 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, but I was actually looking for a cumulative log which would show usage.

Ostensibly I should be able to fax via the USB modem using the fax capability of 10.7. As far as I can tell, it doesn’t exist, and I’ve tried looking everywhere for it. In my older iMac I just had to hold down command+option keys when accessing the File menu which would then read Fax (rather than Print). Any ideas?

Add to that grief that I configured Mail for 3 separate accounts and none of it works. The only thing that happens is that a window pops up asking for one account's password and then states that it's wrong. If I go to the email server directly via the Internet it works fine. So much for Mail.

grelber #17741 10/01/11 03:38 PM

Although I'm using Snow Leopard, my guess is that the procedure for faxing in Lion is not too different. In the Finder, go to the Help menu and click Mac Help. Select Mac Help in the new window and type Fax in the search box, then press Return. You'll get a number of articles about faxes. I chose Sending A Fax and it described the procedure.

Since I neither use Mail nor get my email via the Internet (although I could), I can't answer the email question.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
grelber #17743 10/01/11 03:53 PM

... I configured Mail for 3 separate accounts and none of it works. The only thing that happens is that a window pops up asking for one account's password and then states that it's wrong. If I go to the email server directly via the Internet it works fine. So much for Mail.

It looks like your account configuration left something to be desired, or 'something else' in Mail is on the fritz. Without prejudice, chances are it's the former. Did you check with your ISP's web site for 'how to setup' instructions? If you can't find any, we could help digging if you'd let us know the ISP(s) in question.

PS, given your successful iTunes data move I take it Target Disk Mode worked?

alternaut moderator
alternaut #17753 10/02/11 08:02 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

I think there's something wrong with my ISP's email facility. While I can send email I can't receive it from them.

And no, I just used a USB thumbdrive to transfer the files, and everything seems to have worked out.

jchuzi #17754 10/02/11 08:04 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

When talking with an Apple supervisor about Mail, I asked about the fax facility (which exists in 10.5 and 10.6) and he advised that it had been removed in 10.7 (which would be why I couldn't find it). So I'll have to find some software (preferably freeware) to do the trick.

grelber #17756 10/02/11 08:25 AM

A "faxing in lion" Google search turned up, among other hits, TidBITS Networking: How to Fax in Lion and Faxing in MacOS 10.7 (Lion), both of which appear to be useful.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
grelber #17757 10/02/11 08:27 AM

> I think there's something wrong with my ISP's email facility. While I can send email I can't receive it from them.

Please post the details of what happens when you try to fetch mail, including the exact language of any dialog boxes with which you are presented.

grelber #17758 10/02/11 08:43 AM

> And launching Console doesn't give me anything like Database Searches > Console Messages as an option.

Don't you see either this or this when you launch Console?

artie505 #17759 10/02/11 09:02 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

artie, me lad:
Merci for the pointers. Both articles were good but left a bad taste. Nasty, re faxing, so I'm just going to look around for some freeware. Liked the TidBITS site.
My ISP resolved the Mail issue; just had to disable a setting and all is good.

Now how about?: Somewhere on my old iMac there’s a library of photos from which I chose a desktop picture, but I can’t find it. I’d like to transfer them to my new iMac and put them in a similar library

artie505 #17760 10/02/11 09:08 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Easiest way to check for cumulative online time log is to go to my ISP account; they've up-graded access so that it's much simpler to extract info (and save me a honking great amount of time to boot).

grelber #17762 10/02/11 09:33 AM

> Both articles were good but left a bad taste.

If you combine
Quote:
"First, the Print & Fax preference pane from 10.6 Snow Leopard is now called Print & Scan, but when you click the + button to add a device, you can still add a fax modem" (from the TidBITS site and duplicated in the "How to..." linked document)

with the info found in How to fax with Lion (when Apple gets its Website back up and running), i.e. that after adding your modem as a device you can fax directly from a command-P dialog box, it sounds like you've got the built-in faxing capability for which you're looking.

Give it a spin. smile

> Now how about?: Somewhere on my old iMac there’s a library of photos from which I chose a desktop picture, but I can’t find it.

Now you're asking me to be even more psychic than I already am! grin

Is it a library you created, or is it a default OS 9.x library?

I assume you can't search for it because you can remember neither what it's called nor the name of any of the photos it contains?

My recollection of OS 9.x is that its file system is neither terribly extensive nor complex, so, as a last resort, I'll simply suggest that you go through it, folder by folder, until you find what you're looking for.

artie505 #17764 10/02/11 10:24 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes, I've got the USR5637 modem, but it's the software which is no longer in OS X. I have yet to find any freeware.

There were 2 "libraries" or some such from which one could take pictures for use in screen saver or other places.
When I started up this machine it asked me to provide a photo or artwork as an identity icon (which pops up in sign on). Even if I had something here, I wouldn't know how to change that icon.

grelber #17766 10/02/11 11:08 AM

1. Yes, I've got the USR5637 modem, but it's the software which is no longer in OS X. I have yet to find any freeware.

2. There were 2 "libraries" or some such from which one could take pictures for use in screen saver or other places.

3. When I started up this machine it asked me to provide a photo or artwork as an identity icon (which pops up in sign on). Even if I had something here, I wouldn't know how to change that icon.

!@#$%^&... I just lost another post (that I thought I'd saved)! mad

1. (Edit: There is no separate fax software; it's built into the print functionality, and,) as reported in How to fax with Lion, you can fax from Lion without any 3rd party software:
  1. Add your modem as a device.
  2. Launch a doc that you want to fax.
  3. Hit command-P, and somewhere in the dialog box with which you're presented or one of its clickable options you should find a "Fax" option.
2. All I can do is repeat myself: SEARCH!!!

3. Step by step...
  1. Navigate to /Apps/SysPrefs > Account > Your name > Password.
  2. Click on your user picture.
  3. Click on "Edit Picture."
  4. Click on "Choose" in the dialog box with which you're presented and you'll be able to navigate your entire file system and select the picture you prefer to use (when you've found it).

Last edited by artie505; 10/02/11 12:39 PM.

artie505 #17768 10/02/11 02:57 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Apple site still reads: "We'll be back soon." So I'll play with the modem in the interim.

alternaut, dk, tacit, jchuzi, artie et al:
OK, it’s taken a couple of days to get into the new machine, and it’s not so bad.
Of course, about 90% of its capability I’ll never use or understand, but c’est la vie.
I just hope that it’ll unclutter itself from time to time, so that it doesn’t go wonky (like some of the horror stories I’ve come across in the Forums).
So, if not exactly happy, I’m pleased to say that assembled Mac addicts were right (for the most part), and I’d just like to thank all again for the help and other input.
You can certainly expect to see more questions about the system, or my handle isn’t grelber.

grelber #17770 10/02/11 04:00 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

RE faxing
After a little diddling, it did indeed send a fax.
Unfortunately, it did not save a record of the transmission or any other indication that the thing had been sent and to whom. That's a decided downside. However, I'll wait to read the Apple piece to see if there's a solution to that problem.

That Apple discussion forum was worthless — just a bunch of folk kvetching with no useful information.

So I'm no closer to finding a solution to the above problem.

Last edited by grelber; 10/02/11 04:09 PM. Reason: Addendum
grelber #17771 10/02/11 05:03 PM

You might want to invest in a book about Lion. You can find several choices at this Amazon search page but David Pogue's Lion update (available Oct. 31) would be a good bet. I have bought virtually all his previous Missing Manual books and have been very pleased.

Jon

grelber #17773 10/02/11 05:33 PM

Apple site still reads: "We'll be back soon." So I'll play with the modem in the interim.

alternaut, dk, tacit, jchuzi, artie et al:
OK, it’s taken a couple of days to get into the new machine, and it’s not so bad.
Of course, about 90% of its capability I’ll never use or understand, but c’est la vie.
I just hope that it’ll unclutter itself from time to time, so that it doesn’t go wonky (like some of the horror stories I’ve come across in the Forums).
So, if not exactly happy, I’m pleased to say that assembled Mac addicts were right (for the most part), and I’d just like to thank all again for the help and other input.
You can certainly expect to see more questions about the system, or my handle isn’t grelber.

I'm very happy to hear that you've come around, and I expect that you'll eventually come to love the 10% of your new deuced Mac(hina)'s capabilities that you use. (You're not alone... Years ago, in an ad advocating colonoscopies, Julius Erving said that one of the things he intended to do now that he'd turned 50 was find out what the other 90% of his computer did.)

And please feel free to post away; we're here to help, we're happy to help, and we could use the business. tongue

(Apple's Website is back up.)

grelber #17774 10/02/11 05:51 PM

We crossed in the mail.

I saved this tidbit against who knows what sort of need...

Open a page in your browser and enter <http://127.0.0.1:631/printers/Modem_interne> (Edit: Omit the <>.)in the address bar; you'll see this (one of whose tabs is this) and maybe find the info for which you're looking. (I don't know whether it will work for you, because the URL suggests that it deals with internal modems, but it's worth a try.)

Edit: And you may find some sort of fax log in Console's sidebar.

Last edited by artie505; 10/02/11 05:59 PM.

artie505 #17778 10/02/11 09:21 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

I didn't see anything in Console's sidebar that looked like it might be what I wanted, eg fax log.
The Image Shack item doesn't seem to be relevant.

On my old iMac I could assign virtually anything to the function keys, especially certain frequently used applications such as Word or my browser access — via the control panel Keyboard under Function Key Mappings. I can’t find anything similar in 10.7.1 – certainly not under Keyboard in Preferences. Does it exist? And if so, where?

Also nice little utilities such as KeyFinder (chart for all fonts) and Key Caps.

I found the photo files (9.4MB worth) under Appearance in the System Folder on my old iMac. Yippee! I hadn’t accessed it since 2003 (so small wonder I didn’t have a clue where to find it).

grelber #17780 10/02/11 09:46 PM

On my old iMac I could assign virtually anything to the function keys, [...] via the control panel Keyboard under Function Key Mappings. I can’t find anything similar in 10.7.1 – certainly not under Keyboard in Preferences. Does it exist? And if so, where?

Also nice little utilities such as KeyFinder (chart for all fonts) and Key Caps

I understand that the details have changed in Lion, but in Leopard you could add/change keyboard shortcuts via the homonymous tab on the Keyboard & Mouse Preference (System Preferences, Hardware). Likewise, a Character Palette and Keyboard Viewer are available via the Input Menu pane of the International preference (System Prefs, Personal). The latter can be placed on the menu bar by selecting one or more languages from the same Input Menu list. If you cannot find these options, others may be able to provide Lion-specific instructions.

Fixing a loose end: if Firewire Target Disk Mode didn't work for you it might have been because your iMac G3's Firewire is on the fritz, or its firmware wasn't v2.4* or higher as DK indicated. I have an identical iMac model on which TDM works just fine (albeit with firmware v4.19 installed). If yours doesn't and you'd like to update, you can find the updater here: iMac Firmware Update 2.4: Document and Software. The latest firmware for the G3 iMac (including Firewire TDM improvements) is v4.19, but it requires you to run Mac OS 9.1 or higher to install.

*) As Jon suggested, you can find out about your G3's firmware on the System Profile tab of Apple System Profiler, under Product Information at the bottom of the pane and sort of hidden in the Boot ROM version string like this: $0002.4f1.

alternaut moderator
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard