for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Reopening welcome screen
#17544 09/22/11 08:34 PM
OP Offline

I just replaced hard drives in MacBook and ppc mini with ssds. I screwed up the process of naming primary adminaccount and wanna start over.

System 10.6.8, MacBook model 1.1

I am impressed by what I have seen of this site during my first visit. Thanks.

Doug

Re: Reopening welcome screen
Doug Smith #17546 09/22/11 09:01 PM

Hi, and welcome to FineTunedMac. smile

If your accounts are pristine you can create new ones in /Apps/Sys Prefs > Accounts, name them as you prefer, make them Admin (by means of the "Allow user to administer this computer" checkbox), and delete the originals; if, on the other hand, they're populated with imported data, wait for further input.

There's no way of which I'm aware to get back to the "Welcome" screen to start over.

Edit: Sorry... There is, but I'm not confident enough of my notes to post them.

I'm happy to hear that you're impressed by FTM; we're always happy to help.

Last edited by artie505; 09/22/11 11:05 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #17551 09/22/11 11:46 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
if, on the other hand, they're populated with imported data, wait for further input.

Create a new, temporary admin account. For example, create a new admin named "god". Then:
  • Go to System Preferences → Accounts
  • Right-click (or control-click) on the account you want to rename. From the contextual menu that pops up, select the only entry, "Advanced".
  • In the dialog that appears, change the name(s) and home folder of the account.
  • Quit System Preferences.
  • If the home folder didn't get renamed automatically, do it manually by opening Terminal in the "god" account, and entering the command:
    sudo mv /Users/oldname /Users/newname
  • Go to System Preferences → Accounts, and commit theocide. (i.e., kill "god").
It took me years to work up the courage to do that to an admin account that I wished had been named differently. When I finally did it, it worked like a charm! (Although, when I did it, I renamed the old user's home folder before going to System Preferences → Accounts → Advanced, so I'm not sure whether it would have been done for me automatically.)

The only downside is that Time Machine will see the renamed home folder as entirely new, and back it up again in its entirety. I tried to head it off by renaming its backup of the home folder, but Snow Leopard's Mandatory Access Controls thwarted that. Even root cannot alter a TM backup.

You still have the option of asking TM to delete the old home folder from the backup. That'll get back the disk space, at the expense of losing your history. But then, I gather you don't have much history yet.

ganbustein #17554 09/23/11 05:43 AM

Thanks for the follow-up. (A few years back I successfully used ChangeShortName, but I believe it's no longer applicable.)

> "commit theocide. (i.e., kill "god")"

I think you meant "deicide."

Edit: Sorry about that... I could only find it in this dictionary, but it is a word.

Last edited by artie505; 09/23/11 09:44 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard