Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Flash Bashing Express
joemikeb #19626 12/15/11 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
From my knowledge of Macromedia, the originator of Flash

Just an FYI. While Macromedia popularized Flash, it originated as Futurewave's Futuresplash before Macromedia bought it and renamed it Flash. Interesting aside... Futurewave actually tried to sell it to Adobe first, but they passed on it.

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
Kevin M. Dean #19628 12/15/11 03:05 PM

Interesting, I was only aware of Flash as a Macromedia product. Thanks for the additional background.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Hal Itosis #19694 12/17/11 07:11 PM

Technical Cyber Security Alert TA11-350A: Flash and related vulnerabilities. This report includes the suggestion to 'Disable Flash in Adobe Reader and Acrobat'.

alternaut moderator
artie505 #19800 12/21/11 11:16 PM

Flash prefs reverted to default again...13 days since the last time. mad

Edit: Am I the only one experiencing this?

Last edited by artie505; 12/21/11 11:17 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #19801 12/21/11 11:55 PM

I get the same thing. Instead of trashing a plist and a cache, I tried simply resetting my preferences. They seem to stick for awhile and then revert. I can't explain it.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #19802 12/22/11 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
I get the same thing. Instead of trashing a plist and a cache, I tried simply resetting my preferences. They seem to stick for awhile and then revert. I can't explain it.

All I do is reset my prefs; it's easier than and just as effective as trashing stuff.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Hal Itosis #19803 12/22/11 02:18 AM

Quote:
If someone wants to play interactively, or shop at a website with fancy wiggling special effects... let THEM download flash. The rest of us news-watchers and you-tubers should be free to enjoy basic (normal) video, delivered via some standard protocol, etc.

Interestingly, Facebook now refuses to let me watch embedded YouTube videos, insisting I must download the latest version of Flash—fat chance! says I tongue —but the same videos are viewable without incident, in Flash, at YouTube.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #19806 12/22/11 05:42 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Interestingly, Facebook now refuses to let me watch embedded YouTube videos, insisting I must download the latest version of Flash—fat chance! says I tongue —but the same videos are viewable without incident, in Flash, at YouTube.

So far i haven't seen that misbehavior (using MacOS 10.6.8, Safari 5.1.2, Flash Player 11.1.102.55 and ClickToFlash 2.5.6)

Does that happen with every YouTube link, or most, or?

Does the preview image (if there is a preview image) have the play button (a right-pointing arrow)?

There has been a history of facebook/youtube problems with respect to the play button which i have experienced myself sometimes (seemingly randomly), when posting links. [[e.g., no play button, no preview and/or a Captcha instead of either.]] But those issues seemed to go away once i adopted youtube's shorter URLs (replacing the "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=" part with "http://youtu.be/").

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 12/22/11 05:48 AM.
Hal Itosis #19808 12/22/11 11:05 AM

Quote:
So far i haven't seen that misbehavior (using MacOS 10.6.8, Safari 5.1.2, Flash Player 11.1.102.55 and ClickToFlash 2.5.6)

OS X 10.5.8, Safari 5.0.6, Flash Player 10.1.102.64. Happens with every YouTube link, though it only started within the last week or so. The preview image does have the play button.

There may have been another site or two at which I've encountered the out-of-date Flash admonishment, but clearly Facebook implemented some kind of under-the-hood change (no flies on those Facebook engineers!).

No doubt upgrading Flash would be the simple solution, but
  1. I've disliked Flash for a long time
  2. I don't generally watch videos, due to
    1. minimal DSL download speeds
    2. a preference for reading-based rather than TV-based self-education, which preference no doubt dates to the highly-restricted TV-watching environment of my childhood (thanks forever, Mom!)
  3. I've enlisted as a foot soldier in the ersatz War on Flash by those embracing HTML 5 and the open Web, so I run with Flash off in both Safari and Camino and click to activate Flash content that I just can't live without (not much).
Doing away with Flash altogether will have to await my next computer upgrade, since pre-Intel Mac browsers don't seem to be able to handle a lot of HTML 5 content.

dkmarsh #19810 12/22/11 06:47 PM

OS X 10.5.8, Safari 5.0.6, Flash Player 10.1.102.64. Happens with every YouTube link, though it only started within the last week or so. The preview image does have the play button.

Based on a few test clips I can confirm this with the same config on a 20" G5 'iSight' iMac. Fortunately (I seem to be a tad more visually inclined despite my voracious reading habit smirk ), the direct link to the Youtube clip present next to the embedded clip window bypasses the Flash update requirement.

alternaut moderator
dkmarsh #19811 12/22/11 06:49 PM

i agree with the anti-Flash sentiment... but wouldn't having the latest version also be 'wiser' (safer) then?

Anyway, regardless of version, a seasoned flash-hater should add the ClickToFlash Safari extension to the equation (and perhaps it might even alleviate your current ailment as well).

Hal Itosis #19812 12/22/11 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
... a seasoned flash-hater should add the ClickToFlash Safari extension to the equation ...

I second that! tongue

alternaut moderator
alternaut #19816 12/23/11 12:12 AM

Any specific reason to prefer the Extension to the WebKit plugin, which is already in use here?

dkmarsh #19817 12/23/11 03:17 AM

No, as long as the functionality is the same or comparable (I am not familiar with the plugin's use).

Edit:
A bit more detail may be appropriate here. The extensions* work as advertised right 'out of the box', but allow for detailed custom settings. They are also under continuous development and see regular updates. That said, updating 32-bit Macs like ours is not particularly straightforward, as installing the latest update directly may (and in our case will) crash Safari. To prevent that you need to re-install version 2.4.1 first, uninstall it, and only then install the latest version.

As a user of the Webkit plugin you should be able to assess how its functionality and configurability compare with those of the extensions.

*) There are actually two related extensions, ClickToPlugin and ClickToFlash, the latter of which represents a special case of the former. This allows for control of all plugins, not just Flash.

Last edited by alternaut; 12/23/11 06:50 PM. Reason: added some detail

alternaut moderator
dkmarsh #19821 12/23/11 07:58 PM

Any specific reason to prefer the Extension to the WebKit plugin, which is already in use here?

Yes... the extension was updated to version 2.5.6 yesterday, while the plugin posted its final beta back on April 1st 2010.

The very first words on the WebKit plugin's page are:
Quote:
Note: Safari 5.1 drops support for WebKit Plugins, which unfortunately includes ClickToFlash. Try out Marc Hoyois’ ClickToPlugin Safari Extension.

Oh wait... you still have OS 10.5.8 and Safari 5.0.6?
Nevermind... but why not run Snow Leopard instead?

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 12/23/11 08:02 PM.
Hal Itosis #19822 12/23/11 09:34 PM

Oh wait... you still have OS 10.5.8 and Safari 5.0.6?
Nevermind... but why not run Snow Leopard instead?

Won't run on a G5... frown

alternaut moderator
alternaut #19823 12/23/11 10:13 PM

...Let alone a G4.

artie505 #20109 01/15/12 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505

All I do is reset my prefs; it's easier than and just as effective as trashing stuff.
I think that I have found the cause. I checked my Flash preferences and they were OK (Block all sites from storing information on this computer). I then used Flush, which found no Flash cookies, of course, but deleted the relevant preference file. Immediately, my Flash preferences reverted to default (Allow sites to save information on this computer). I reset my preferences and then used Cocktail (via its Pilot setting) to clear Flash Player caches and Flash Player cookies. Again, Flash preferences reverted to default. I reset them and they seem to be holding.

Have you been doing anything similar?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #20110 01/15/12 03:29 PM

I think that I have found the cause. I checked my Flash preferences and they were OK (Block all sites from storing information on this computer). I then used Flush, which found no Flash cookies, of course, but deleted the relevant preference file. Immediately, my Flash preferences reverted to default (Allow sites to save information on this computer). I reset my preferences and then used Cocktail (via its Pilot setting) to clear Flash Player caches and Flash Player cookies. Again, Flash preferences reverted to default. I reset them and they seem to be holding.

Have you been doing anything similar?

Funny you should post today, because my prefs reverted to default just last night (for the first time since I last reported on Dec. 21), but what, precisely, do you think is the cause?

The only utility I use is Yasu, which doesn't clear anything that causes reversion...just tried.

On the other hand, I cleared two Flash cookies (two separate occurrences...via Safari Cookies) last night, but I've cleared other such cookies in the interim with no reversion.

I'm still at a loss, but I'm trying to be fastidious about watching what's happening.

jchuzi #20188 01/21/12 03:21 AM

> "the relevant preference file"

Will you please identify it?

My prefs just reverted...yet again, and I found that /Users/artie/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/settings.sol had been deleted; resetting my prefs resulted in the file's being recreated.

Now I've got to figure out what's causing that file to be deleted. (This time it disappeared when I cleared a Flash cookie with Safari Cookies, but deleting Flash cookies doesn't always have this result.)

artie505 #20197 01/21/12 10:43 AM

> "the relevant preference file"

Will you please identify it?

My prefs just reverted...yet again, and I found that /Users/artie/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/settings.sol had been deleted; resetting my prefs resulted in the file's being recreated.

I deleted ~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player (the entire folder) and it was re-created when I reset my preferences. Unlike you, my preferences have not reverted to defaults. I don't know why yours did. Maybe you should delete the entire Flash Player folder?

Jon

jchuzi #20198 01/21/12 10:48 AM

> Maybe you should delete the entire Flash Player folder?

For the moment, I think I'll just watch and see if I can discern some sort of pattern.

Please keep me posted on whether your prefs stick or revert.

Thanks.

artie505 #20221 01/22/12 10:57 AM

> Maybe you should delete the entire Flash Player folder?

For the moment, I think I'll just watch and see if I can discern some sort of pattern.

Please keep me posted on whether your prefs stick or revert.

Thanks.

That was short-lived; my prefs reverted again, /Users/artie/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/settings.sol was not deleted, and I've got absolutely no recollection of having seen any Flash cookies. confused

I'm still confused, though, by the fact that this exchange has remained our private venue; is it that nobody else is experiencing the issue or that nobody else cares?

Edit: I just trashed everything on my deuced Mac(hina) that had "Flash," "Macromedia," or "Adobe" in its path and reinstalled Flash; let's see what happens.

Last edited by artie505; 01/22/12 11:29 AM.

artie505 #20237 01/23/12 01:49 AM

That was short-lived; my prefs reverted again, /Users/artie/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/settings.sol was not deleted, and I've got absolutely no recollection of having seen any Flash cookies. confused

I'm still confused, though, by the fact that this exchange has remained our private venue; is it that nobody else is experiencing the issue or that nobody else cares?

Edit: I just trashed everything on my deuced Mac(hina) that had "Flash," "Macromedia," or "Adobe" in its path and reinstalled Flash; let's see what happens.

fwiw, the script in this post is still the version i use today to view (and optionally delete) those flash cookies & caches. [Run without arg to just list items. Run with any arg to delete everything except adobe's own sol file.]

Hal Itosis #20241 01/23/12 04:46 AM

fwiw, the script in this post is still the version i use today to view (and optionally delete) those flash cookies & caches. [Run without arg to just list items. Run with any arg to delete everything except adobe's own sol file.]

On the one hand, I think I now know what to do with your script ( wink ), but on the other hand, I have no more than a vague idea what "run without any arg" means, even after perusing Unix FAQ (for OS). (Edit: Does it mean to omit

Code:
if [ $# -ne 0 ] && [ $k -ne 0 ]
then  # clear cookies & caches but preserve useful files and directory trees:

GoToFolder $DR1 &&
	ls -d1 {macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys,#SharedObjects/*}/* \
		2>/dev/null |grep -v $PREF |tr '\n' '\000' |xargs -0 rm -fR
	((x+=$?))

GoToFolder $DR2 && ls -d1 AssetCache/*/* 2>/dev/null |grep -v $CASH |
		tr '\n' '\000' |xargs -0 rm -fR
	((x+=$?))

[ $x -eq 0 ] && printf '\e[30;42m FLASH COOKIES CLEARED \e[0m\n' >&2
fi

from the script?)

That aside, though, I accomplish the same thing via Safari Cookies > Flash Cookies.

But what does your script accomplish as respects Flash prefs (apparently) spontaneously reverting to default?

Last edited by artie505; 01/23/12 04:51 AM.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard