An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Topic Options
#17351 - 09/08/11 04:13 PM Printer Idle or Unavailable
llanodolan Offline

On the phone with a Canon Tech for an hour and he concluded it was a Mac issue. Printer shows itself in system pref (printer) but will not communicate when trying to print. I have a Macbook Pro 10.5.8. I never had any problems until now. It was running wireless for over a year, but now I it won't even run via USB. Suggestions?

#17352 - 09/08/11 07:33 PM Re: Printer Idle or Unavailable [Re: llanodolan]
joemikeb Online

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
As I recall in Leopard there was/is an option in System Preferences > Print (&f ax?) to flush the print system. That will delete all your installed printers but the drivers are still there so reinstalling takes only a couple of minutes. That was always a sovereign cure for otherwise inexplicable print problems.

If that does not work or you are reluctant to try it there is a $30 utility called Print Therapy. Be sure and get the version that is appropriate for Leopard (OS X 10.5).

#17354 - 09/09/11 02:43 AM Re: Printer Idle or Unavailable [Re: llanodolan]
dkmarsh Offline

Mac OS X 10.5 Help: Resetting the printing system.

Note that among other things, this action "deletes all printer presets," so if you've got any unusual configurations saved as presets, you might want to make a note of them first.

dkmarsh • member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors

#17355 - 09/09/11 05:26 AM Re: Printer Idle or Unavailable [Re: dkmarsh]
jchuzi Offline

Loc: New York State
One of the nice things about Print Therapy is that it gives you the option to preserve your presets.

OS 10.14.6, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Moderator:  alternaut, cyn