FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What are you doing up at this hour?
#17084 08/19/11 07:02 AM
OP Offline

Will do. Good heavens, what are you doing up at this hour?

Edit: Originally a reply to artie505 in Macbook will not TURN ON, this post and 3 follow-up replies were detached to form a separate thread in the Lounge.

Last edited by cyn; 08/21/11 01:46 AM.
Re: What are you doing up at this hour?
slolerner #17086 08/19/11 07:19 AM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
Will do. Good heavens, what are you doing up at this hour?

Was it Lenny Welch who sang "The night time ain't no right time... Aaah, but it's my time?"

And it has been since that wonderful high school day night when I discovered that the world didn't end when my parents went to sleep.

And you...?

Edit: Somebody's got to see to it that New York remains "The city that never sleeps!" (And you get to understand what "The Wasteland" is all about, too. grin )

Last edited by artie505; 08/19/11 07:26 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #17094 08/19/11 09:06 PM
OP Offline

Quote:
Somebody's got to see to it that New York remains "The city that never sleeps!"

Someone told me that's why New Yorkers are so nasty. (We really aren't.) I just don't sleep well. And the computer always beckons. I kind of liked when I only had one and it was in the shop. Detox.

slolerner #17096 08/19/11 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
Quote:
Somebody's got to see to it that New York remains "The city that never sleeps!"

Someone told me that's why New Yorkers are so nasty. (We really aren't.) I just don't sleep well. And the computer always beckons. I kind of liked when I only had one and it was in the shop. Detox.

There are nasty people everywhere I've ever been, and for my money, those who think "New Yorkers are so nasty" can go back to the 3rd world cities from which they come! (The bars I frequent are likely among the mellowest places in the world...after the amateurs go home at 12-1 AM.)

The week + that my deuced Mac(hina) was in the shop was the most pleasant time I've spent in a while! laugh

Last edited by artie505; 08/19/11 11:36 PM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #17111 08/20/11 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
those who think "New Yorkers are so nasty" can go back to the 3rd world cities from which they come!

It is remarks like that create New York's reputation for being so parochial and even nasty among the citizenry of the rest of the Unites States of America and the world.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #17112 08/20/11 09:16 PM

My first reaction was from a slightly different perspective, as the wording of the comment made me wonder why both first and second world citizens were excluded. If nothing else, that doesn't fit my recollection from my time there in the 80s. To be clear, I had a great time then, and I certainly loved New York and New Yorkers.

alternaut moderator
joemikeb #17115 08/20/11 10:55 PM

Quote:
It is remarks like that create New York's reputation for being so parochial and even nasty among the citizenry of the rest of the Unites States of America and the world.

Born and raised in the Midwest, migrated to NYC for 17 years, and now back home, I can attest that New Yorkers are kinder and NYC neighborhoods are more neighborly than anything I've ever experienced anywhere else I've lived.

dboh #17118 08/21/11 05:57 AM

Originally Posted By: dboh
Born and raised in the Midwest, migrated to NYC for 17 years, and now back home, I can attest that New Yorkers are kinder and NYC neighborhoods are more neighborly than anything I've ever experienced anywhere else I've lived.

I reckon that depends a lot on WHERE in NYC you are, truth be told.

I love big cities--I'm definitely an urban boy--but I have yet to see any city that doesn't have its fair share of meanness. A lot of it comes down to the monkeysphere; human beings are only able to form real emotional connections with, at most, about 150 or so other human beings. That's your monkeysphere. Everyone outside of it isn't really a person--more a sketch of prejudices and assumptions. When you yell at some #$!& who's cut you off in traffic, you're yelling at a caricature; odds are you wouldn't yell at your nephew or the woman who flirts with you from the apartment down the hall for doing the exact same thing.

And I'm up at this hour procrastinating. Tomorrow, painfully early in the morning, I have to get up to help a lovely young lady who's become a close friend of mine drive from Portland to Boston, which is going to be quite a lengthy excursion. And I haven't even packed yet.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
alternaut #17119 08/21/11 06:09 AM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
My first reaction was from a slightly different perspective, as the wording of the comment made me wonder why both first and second world citizens were excluded.

I said "3rd world cities" because, silly boy... There's New York, and there are 3rd world cities! grin

But, seriously, I could have said something more recognizably humorous, e.g. stolen a line from Gilda Radner and said "can go back to New Jersey," but some of the 3rd world cities would probably have found that insulting. shocked

Edit: OK... "3rd world" cities would have been clearer; sorry for being obscure.

Last edited by artie505; 08/21/11 09:04 AM.

joemikeb #17120 08/21/11 06:18 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
those who think "New Yorkers are so nasty" can go back to the 3rd world cities from which they come!

Nonsense!

That's a catchphrase...the same thing I'd expect to hear if I was drinking in some bar (I say bar because I gravitate to bars.) in Fort Worth, TX ragging on any one of a number of real or imaginary "Texan" stereotypes, and the tone of voice in which it would be said delivered would vary, depending on the bar I was in and/or the person to whom I was talking, from polite to nasty, from forceful to forcible....

On the other hand, though, the tone of your response gives me the impression that you've either swallowed the New Yorker stereotype hook, line, and sinker or have got a corroborating story to tell.

Last edited by artie505; 08/21/11 06:23 AM.

tacit #17122 08/21/11 08:16 AM

Safe journey! smile

artie505 #17124 08/21/11 09:35 AM

You Know You're A New Yorker When ...

This is humorous because, as with most stereotypes, there's at least a grain of truth.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
slolerner #17125 08/21/11 03:16 PM

Watching a 34m:54sec preview of the Summer Night Concert Schoenbrunn 2011.

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
MicroMatTech3 #17129 08/21/11 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: MicroMatTech3
Watching a 34m:54sec preview of the Summer Night Concert Schoenbrunn 2011.

No offense intended, but I ABSOLUTELY HATE clicking on a link and being subjected to an ad!!! mad

This seems to be a recent "innovation," and I wonder how many viewers besides from me simply close the page and opt to ignore the linked content rather than endure?

artie505 #17256 08/29/11 02:38 PM

Safely in Boston! We altered our plans to arrive before the hurricane, though it occurs to me that most folks seem to run away from hurricanes rather than toward them.

We started out with three people and arrived with two; in Louisville, Kentucky, we encountered a couple of Guatemalans who made off with one of our number. (Long story, there; eventually, I'll probably blog about it.) Along the way, we saw the world's largest prairie dog, got surprised by rattlesnakes, fell down a trapdoor that led to a dark slide that plunged us into the boiler room of a very old building in St. Louis, took pictures on the edge of a cliff in Utah, spent a night in a former fundamentalist Mormon polygamous compound, found a 5-legged cow, got paced for a while by an Apache attack helicopter, went spelunking, visited a museum of psychiatry, and rode a creaking, rickety Ferris wheel that spun really, really fast on the top of a skyscraper.

Incident with the Guatemalans aside, it was an awesome trip.

artie505 #17258 08/29/11 03:10 PM

No offense intended, but I ABSOLUTELY HATE clicking on a link and being subjected to an ad!!! mad

This seems to be a recent "innovation," and I wonder how many viewers besides from me simply close the page and opt to ignore the linked content rather than endure?

You'd better get used to it. It's becoming more and more common for videos to be preceded with ads. Banners are easily blocked, these are not.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
artie505 #17259 08/29/11 03:27 PM

Quote:
No offense intended, but I ABSOLUTELY HATE clicking on a link and being subjected to an ad!!!

Artie505, I agree with you, but I suspect the alternative would be a pay-per-click model. I am seeing more and more sites that require a login/membership to access and have a limited number of "free" accesses per month, and still have advertising. The New York Times now charges around $20 a month for unlimited access. Someone has to pay the bills.

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/29/11 03:30 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
tacit #17260 08/29/11 06:43 PM

I just can't resist puzzles like these, so I allowed myself some guesses along an easterly route even though that forces me to start with what I couldn't figure.

Originally Posted By: tacit
Along the way, we [...] took pictures on the edge of a cliff in Utah, spent a night in a former fundamentalist Mormon polygamous compound, [...] got paced for a while by an Apache attack helicopter

Beats me, too many possibilities for each item, aside from the fact that the Apache may have been checking out that Mormon compound's visitors... smirk

Along the way, we saw the world's largest prairie dog, got surprised by rattlesnakes, [...] found a 5-legged cow

That's gotta be Larry Farmer's Prairie Dog Town in Oakley. Btw, what happened to the ice cream cone-shaped dairy parlor across the road? tongue

Along the way, we [...] visited a museum of psychiatry

This could be St. Joe's Glore Psychiatric Museum, not to be confused with the (farther out of the way) paranoid take others have on the topic. shocked

Along the way, we [...] fell down a trapdoor that led to a dark slide that plunged us into the boiler room of a very old building in St. Louis, went spelunking, [...] and rode a creaking, rickety Ferris wheel that spun really, really fast on the top of a skyscraper.

Definitely sounds like Bob Cassily's City Museum. Now that's uniquely awesome! cool

alternaut moderator
tacit #17264 08/30/11 03:22 AM

....spent a night in a former fundamentalist Mormon polygamous compound....

Not much to add except something I've always wondered about the various groups that extol polygamy, and the fact that the belief always seems to be that men should have bunches of wives. You never hear of a sect where it's thought wives should have bunches of husbands. Seems to me there's a women's lib issue in there somewhere.

ryck

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
joemikeb #17265 08/30/11 05:55 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Quote:
No offense intended, but I ABSOLUTELY HATE clicking on a link and being subjected to an ad!!!

Artie505, I agree with you, but I suspect the alternative would be a pay-per-click model. I am seeing more and more sites that require a login/membership to access and have a limited number of "free" accesses per month, and still have advertising. The New York Times now charges around $20 a month for unlimited access. Someone has to pay the bills.

You are, of course, correct! frown

alternaut #17266 08/30/11 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
I just can't resist puzzles like these, so I allowed myself some guesses along an easterly route even though that forces me to start with what I couldn't figure.

Right you are on Prairie Dog Town, the Glore Museum, and City Museum. smile I basically have the soul of an 8-year-old, so City Museum was the most delightful place I've been in a very long time.

The former Fundamentalist Mormon compound was in the outskirts of Salt Lake City, and has become cheap apartments for college kids. The apartments are very strangely arranged; each one is four bedrooms arranged around a central living room attached to a huuuuuuge kitchen.

The Spelunking was at Meramec Cavern in Missouri. Had we had more time, we probably would have stopped at a bunch of other caves too.

Originally Posted By: ryck
Not much to add except something I've always wondered about the various groups that extol polygamy, and the fact that the belief always seems to be that men should have bunches of wives. You never hear of a sect where it's thought wives should have bunches of husbands. Seems to me there's a women's lib issue in there somewhere.

And you're absolutely right--it is a women's issue.

Of all the various groups that practice polygamy, nearly all practice polygyny--one man with many wives. The number of cultures that allow polyandry (one woman with many husbands) is small, and even then, the women are still forced to have the husbands that are chosen for them. Usually, polyandrous societies practice "fraternal polyandry," also called "adelphogamy" or "Leviratic polyandry" (after the Levi tribe of ancient Israelites, who practiced it), where a woman who marries a man also marries that man's brothers. The Biblical story of Onan is about fraternal polyandry; in those times, if the first husband died before having a male heir, it was the responsibility of his brothers to impregnate his wife and produce an heir to carry on his name.

So historically, the practice of polygamy has pretty uniformly been bad for women. Even polyandrous societies generally don't allow women to choose their partners at will. That's why I and my partners prefer polyamory; in fact, the partner I live with in Portland went out on a date while I've been away, so she will likely have a new boyfriend when I return. smile

tacit #17267 08/30/11 04:32 PM

... City Museum was the most delightful place I've been in a very long time.

Disbelieving exhilaration was the feeling I got (and still get) when visiting the City Museum. It's like nothing you'd expect in a 'museum', and a work in continuous progress. Amazingly imaginative.

The former Fundamentalist Mormon compound was in the outskirts of Salt Lake City, and has become cheap apartments for college kids. The apartments are very strangely arranged; each one is four bedrooms arranged around a central living room attached to a huuuuuuge kitchen.
Sounds very much like a layout seen in Georgia Tech's dorms, the ones that are '96 Olympic Village 'hand-me-downs'.

The Spelunking was at Meramec Cavern in Missouri. Had we had more time, we probably would have stopped at a bunch of other caves too.
I considered the proximity of Meramec and other caves to your I-70 itinerary, but enjoyed an 'Occam's shave' by lumping the spelunking in with the City Museum. laugh

As to polygamy and its 'fairness' vis-a-vis women, that's always been a bothersome non sequitur to me. Sociologically understandable, perhaps, but never from the point of view of equality.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #17274 08/31/11 01:43 PM

City Museum looks amazing!!

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #17277 08/31/11 05:55 PM

City Museum *is* amazing. If I knew how to go about finding venture capital or philanthropic donors, I'd work on creating something like it in Portland. Anyone got a spare couple million dollars floating around, or know anyone who does?

slolerner #17353 09/09/11 03:23 AM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard