Re: Kernel Panic?
artie505 #17102 08/20/11 05:35 AM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

The three are:

EyeTV Helper
Microsoft AU Daemon
AdobeResourceSynchronizer

The EyeTV Helper has an icon that is the same as EyeTV's icon in the Dock while the other two have the same icon - the one that looks like two sheets of paper with the pencil, brush and ruler forming an A.

For some reason, only the EyeTV Helper and AdobeResourceSynchronizer have the boxes checked.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 08/20/11 05:36 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #17103 08/20/11 06:34 AM

Originally Posted By: ryck
The three are:

EyeTV Helper
Microsoft AU Daemon

The EyeTV Helper has an icon that is the same as EyeTV's icon in the Dock while the other two have the same icon - the one that looks like two sheets of paper with the pencil, brush and ruler forming an A.

For some reason, only the EyeTV Helper and AdobeResourceSynchronizer have the boxes checked.

ryck

I'm not familiar with any of those items, so I won't suggest that you mess with them.

You can, however, try moving

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginitems.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist
~/Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist

to your desktop and restarting to see what happens.

(Edited) If you don't see any changes in your situation you can simply restore them to ~/Library/Preferences and overwrite any new files (only the 3rd one, but unpopulated, in my instance) that have been created.

If, however, you see positive changes, we can take it from there.

Note: It didn't occurr to me until just now to mention that when you ran the OS X 10.6.8 Combo it overwrote Safari 5.1 with Safari 5.0.5 (which, for some unknown reason, Software Update doesn't pick up on), so you need to d/l and install the v 5.1 standalone to get current if you haven't already done so. (Edit: You can check your current version of Safari at Safari > menu bar > Safari > About Safari.)

Edit: The checked boxes tell OS X to hide the applications when you log in, so I guess the unchecked box means that that app isn't visible under any circumstances.

Last edited by artie505; 08/20/11 07:39 AM. Reason: Edit and clarify

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #17126 08/21/11 04:36 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: artie505
You can, however, try moving

I did that and interestingly, on restart, only com.apple.loginwindow.plist appeared in the Prefs Folder. I figured that having the other prefs might require some change, so I removed and re-added the Volume Control.

However, on re-start I still have only com.apple.loginwindow.plist. The Terminal instruction defaults read com.apple.systemuiserver shows a list with the Volume Control.

I then did the same as above in my User Library except that it only contained:

com.apple.loginitems.plist
loginwindow.plist

and on restart only com.apple.loginitems.plist appeared in the Prefs Folder.

The non-appearance of the other Prefs doesn't seem to be having any adverse effects so I'll just leave them out and let the system restore them when it thinks they're necessary. Since everything seems to be okay, and the Menu Bar is not only loading okay but also loading more quickly, I'll press on.

Thanks for everything so far.

Note: It didn't occurr to me until just now to mention that when you ran the OS X 10.6.8 Combo it overwrote Safari 5.1 with Safari 5.0.5 (which, for some unknown reason, Software Update doesn't pick up on), so you need to d/l and install the v 5.1 standalone to get current if you haven't already done so.

I'm running Safari 5.1

Thanks for the heads-up.

ryck

Update:

At this log-in the machine took a moment to pop in my All Sites pages so I checked toe Prefs folder and the User Library now has loginwindow.plist. So it appears: "Just leave them alone and they'll come home, wagging their tails behind them".

Last edited by ryck; 08/21/11 06:31 PM. Reason: Correction & Add Info

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #17131 08/22/11 08:22 AM

Originally posted by artie500: You can, however, try moving

I did that and interestingly, on restart, only com.apple.loginwindow.plist appeared in the Prefs Folder.

Aside from the fact that what you've reported does not jive with my (repeated) experience, while researching another issue I just deleted ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist and it hasn't been recreated after multiple restarts, so I'm assuming that it became a redundant leftover when I upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard.

I figured that having the other prefs might require some change, so I removed and re-added the Volume Control.

However, on re-start I still have only com.apple.loginwindow.plist. The Terminal instruction defaults read com.apple.systemuiserver shows a list with the Volume Control.

Whoa there! You've gotten your apples and oranges confused... SystemUIServer has nothing to do with Login Items; the former controls the icons on the right side of your menu bar, while your Login Items are the apps and/or utilities that automatically launch at log-in.

loginwindow.plist

I dunno, ryck... Under the same circumstances, I just moved both files to my desktop and restarted, and, again, only loginwindow.plist was recreated. I'm confused , but I don't think it's critical.

The non-appearance of the other Prefs doesn't seem to be having any adverse effects so I'll just leave them out and let the system restore them when it thinks they're necessary. Since everything seems to be okay, and the Menu Bar is not only loading okay but also loading more quickly, I'll press on.

You've got your apples and oranges confused again... If you look in /Apps/Sys Prefs > Accounts > Login Items you'll likely find that it has not repopulated itself fully, if at all, and whichever of

EyeTV Helper
Microsoft AU Daemon

is/are not present is/are not launching at login, which is probably costing you functionality. Further, I not only doubt that OS X will restore them, I've got no idea how to restore them (which is why I didn't suggest that you mess with them), so it may be helpful if you've still got the original files that you moved.

On the other hand, though, it seems like one of those three items was affecting the loading of your menu bar!

> I'm running Safari 5.1

Thanks for the heads-up.

Aaah! I just searched this thread and found that you've apparently never rerun the OS X 10.6.8 Combo, so my heads-up was moot.

> Update:

At this log-in the machine took a moment to pop in my All Sites pages so I checked toe Prefs folder and the User Library now has loginwindow.plist. So it appears: "Just leave them alone and they'll come home, wagging their tails behind them".

Thoroughly confused in addition to not even knowing what your "All Sites pages" are.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #17132 08/22/11 09:59 AM

Originally posted by artie500: You can, however, try moving

I did that and interestingly, on restart, only com.apple.loginwindow.plist appeared in the Prefs Folder.

...what you've reported does not jive with my (repeated) experience...

When I moved the three plists in question, my experience duplicated rycks's—only com.apple.loginwindow.plist reappeared during the restart.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
artie505 #17133 08/22/11 10:18 AM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Aside from the fact that what you've reported does not jive with my (repeated) experience, while researching another issue I just deleted ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist and it hasn't been recreated after multiple restarts, so I'm assuming that it became a redundant leftover when I upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard.

Isn't that interesting. Even though I'm also Snow Leopard 10.6.8, I get different results.

~Hard Drive/Library/Preferences ....still only has com.apple.loginwindow.plist and things are working fine.

The only change, and it's cosmetic, is that the picture behind the login window reverted to that purple, cosmos thing that the OS comes with. However, even after restoring it to one of Apple's Nature images, no other plist has yet appeared. I thought that changing a "preference" might create a plist to keep track of it.

loginwindow.plist

I dunno, ryck... Under the same circumstances, I just moved both files to my desktop and restarted, and, again, only loginwindow.plist was recreated. I'm confused , but I don't think it's critical.

Another interesting one. In my case ~User/Library/Preferences ....has com.apple.loginwindow.plist and loginwindow.plist.

You've got your apples and oranges confused again... If you look in /Apps/Sys Prefs > Accounts > Login Items you'll likely find that it has not repopulated itself fully, if at all, and whichever of

EyeTV Helper
Microsoft AU Daemon

is/are not present is/are not launching at login, which is probably costing you functionality. Further, I not only doubt that OS X will restore them, I've got no idea how to restore them (which is why I didn't suggest that you mess with them), so it may be helpful if you've still got the original files that you moved.

On the other hand, though, it seems like one of those three items was affecting the loading of your menu bar!

Actually, I didn't realize that would happen by removing a plist....however it's not an issue. I did keep the previous plists but I don't think I'll need them.

I started EyeTV and opened the Help file. The EyeTV Helper was restored in Login Items.

I checked around and learned that Microsoft AU Daemon is associated with MS Office 2004 and allows for checking updates automatically. I opened the MS Updater and set it to Automatic and Microsoft AU Daemon is back in Login Items.

The AdobeResourceSynchronizer is another story. It seems this has been a problem for a few people (a real CPU hog). Now, the plot thickens.

I located AdobeResourceSynchronizer (Applications Folder - right click on Adobe Reader - Show Package Contents/Contents/Support) and dragged it to the trash. Then my CleanApp opened and it had nearly 20 entries called:

AdobeResourceSynchronizer_Date and File number_User-Names-iMac.crash

They are all in a document called:

/Users/usernames/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/AdobeResourceSynchronizer...et cetera

Thoroughly confused in addition to not even knowing what your "All Sites pages" are.

My bad. Terminology failure...I meant the Top Sites...that little grid near the top left of Safari that provides images of the sites you most often frequent.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 08/22/11 10:24 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
dkmarsh #17134 08/22/11 10:27 AM

Got me beat!

I just did it again...moved com.apple.loginitems.plist and loginwindow.plist to my desktop and restarted, and once again, loginwindow.plist was recreated, and I've got my expected functionality; how about you in your circumstances?

Note: As I mentioned, com.apple.loginwindow.plist has not been recreated, so on the assumption that it's no longer necessary, I trashed it.

dkmarsh #17135 08/22/11 10:52 AM

Quote:
When I moved the three plists in question, my experience duplicated rycks's—only com.apple.loginwindow.plist reappeared during the restart.

Correction: only loginwindow.plist reappears.

I note that my Tiger volume has no com.apple.loginitems.plist; login items in Tiger appear to be maintained by loginwindow.plist. In Leopard, that functionality appears to have been taken on by com.apple.loginitems.plist—its contents are similar to those of loginwindow.plist, but include redundant data and "com.apple.loginitems.legacypref" entries.

However, since my Leopard installations have all been completely fresh, loginwindow.plist cannot have been a holdover from Tiger, so apparently it still plays some necessary role in Leopard.

dkmarsh #17136 08/22/11 11:34 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Quote:

Correction: only loginwindow.plist reappears.

I note that my Tiger volume has no com.apple.loginitems.plist; login items in Tiger appear to be maintained by loginwindow.plist. In Leopard, that functionality appears to have been taken on by com.apple.loginitems.plist—its contents are similar to those of loginwindow.plist, but include redundant data and "com.apple.loginitems.legacypref" entries.

However, since my Leopard installations have all been completely fresh, loginwindow.plist cannot have been a holdover from Tiger, so apparently it still plays some necessary role in Leopard.

So we're left with ryck's anomaly.

I was confused by the fact that loginwindow.plist and com.apple.loginitems.plist seem to have overlapping functionality, but since the former is recreated and the latter follows on its heels I've just accepted the fact that that's the way it is.

The rest of your analysis agrees with my own conclusions.

artie505 #17141 08/22/11 05:10 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

And, on my machine, this morning ~Hard Drive/Library/Preferences ....continues to have only com.apple.loginwindow.plist.

However ~User/Library/Preferences now has three .... com.apple.loginwindow.plist, loginwindow.plist, and com.apple.loginitems.plist.

Perhaps that's a result of restoring EyeTV Helper and Microsoft AU Daemon.

So we're left with ryck's anomaly.

....and ryck is happy at this point, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. Everything is working well and I probably should let things go along until something happens that provides a meaningful clue. There is also the possibility that, even with an anomaly, things are fixed.

FYI....I opened the last of those AdobeResourceSynchronizer logs that CleanApp found and, in case it's of interest, the contents follow.

ryck

Process: AdobeResourceSynchronizer [150]
Path: /Applications/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Support/AdobeResourceSynchronizer.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeResourceSynchronizer
Identifier: com.adobe.AdobeResourceSynchronizer
Version: ??? (10.1)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [113]

Date/Time: 2011-08-21 09:52:15.350 -0700
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x9a0bfc13 CFSetGetValue + 83
1 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x9a0c5bb9 __CFRunLoopFindMode + 137
2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x9a0efaae CFRunLoopRemoveSource + 158
3 ...e.AdobeResourceSynchronizer 0x0003030f CNetWatcher::Stop() + 97
4 ...e.AdobeResourceSynchronizer 0x0000c7da CSynchronizerApp::shutdownNetChangeNotifier() + 46
5 ...e.AdobeResourceSynchronizer 0x0000d9bb CSynchronizerStartupGuard::~CSynchronizerStartupGuard() + 39
6 ...e.AdobeResourceSynchronizer 0x0000dd0c CSynchronizerApp::run() + 786
7 ...e.AdobeResourceSynchronizer 0x0000c73d main + 169
8 ...e.AdobeResourceSynchronizer 0x0000c676 start + 54

Thread 1: Dispatch queue: com.apple.libdispatch-manager
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x93828382 kevent + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x93828a9c _dispatch_mgr_invoke + 215
2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x93827f59 _dispatch_queue_invoke + 163
3 libSystem.B.dylib 0x93827cfe _dispatch_worker_thread2 + 240
4 libSystem.B.dylib 0x93827781 _pthread_wqthread + 390
5 libSystem.B.dylib 0x938275c6 start_wqthread + 30

Thread 2:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x93827412 __workq_kernreturn + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x938279a8 _pthread_wqthread + 941
2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x938275c6 start_wqthread + 30

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):
eax: 0x00000000 ebx: 0x9a0bfbcc ecx: 0x00000028 edx: 0x00000010
edi: 0xbffff6ec esi: 0xbffff6b8 ebp: 0xbffff678 esp: 0xbffff640
ss: 0x0000001f efl: 0x00010283 eip: 0x9a0bfc13 cs: 0x00000017
ds: 0x0000001f es: 0x0000001f fs: 0x00000000 gs: 0x00000037
cr2: 0x00000000

Binary Images:
0x1000 - 0xfcfe7 +com.adobe.AdobeResourceSynchronizer ??? (10.1) <281A4BD0-8496-A9C3-ED3E-59051F3398E6> /Applications/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Support/AdobeResourceSynchronizer.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeResourceSynchronizer
0x162000 - 0x217fe7 libcrypto.0.9.7.dylib 0.9.7 (compatibility 0.9.7) <AACC86C0-86B4-B1A7-003F-2A0AF68973A2> /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.7.dylib
0x25d000 - 0x283fff libssl.0.9.7.dylib 0.9.7 (compatibility 0.9.7) <9203FADE-F4F2-2245-A32E-BD88819D314D> /usr/lib/libssl.0.9.7.dylib
0x292000 - 0x2bafff +AdobeAXE8SharedExpat ??? (???) <6DE8E2CA-91EC-77D7-E674-D336B7D09AF5> /Applications/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeAXE8SharedExpat.framework/Versions/A/AdobeAXE8SharedExpat
0x2c1000 - 0x2deff7 +AdobeBIB ??? (???) <83F5EE67-C9F9-DC7C-681B-F2EEA04DD6D1> /Applications/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeBIB.framework/Versions/A/AdobeBIB
0x2e5000 - 0x344fe7 +AcroSQLite ??? (???) <5C62F963-9742-B74F-CC84-E734E1DC7610> /Applications/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Frameworks/AcroSQLite.framework/Versions/A/AcroSQLite
0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe4163b dyld 132.1 (???) <4CDE4F04-0DD6-224E-ACE5-3C06E169A801> /usr/lib/dyld
0x90003000 - 0x90027ff7 libJPEG.dylib ??? (???) <EA97DEC5-6E16-B51C-BF55-F6E8D23526AD> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libJPEG.dylib
0x9003b000 - 0x90041fff com.apple.CommonPanels 1.2.4 (91) <2438AF5D-067B-B9FD-1248-2C9987F360BA> /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CommonPanels.framework/Versions/A/CommonPanels
0x90223000 - 0x902cbffb com.apple.QD 3.36 (???) <FA2785A4-BB69-DCB4-3BA3-7C89A82CAB41> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/QD.framework/Versions/A/QD
0x90383000 - 0x90387ff7 libGIF.dylib ??? (???) <2123645B-AC89-C4E2-8757-85834CAE3DD2> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libGIF.dylib
0x90388000 - 0x903ceff7 libauto.dylib ??? (???) <29422A70-87CF-10E2-CE59-FEE1234CFAAE> /usr/lib/libauto.dylib
0x9053b000 - 0x90545fe7 com.apple.audio.SoundManager 3.9.3 (3.9.3) <5F494955-7290-2D91-DA94-44B590191771> /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonSound.framework/Versions/A/CarbonSound
0x9055a000 - 0x905aaff7 com.apple.framework.familycontrols 2.0.2 (2020) <596ADD85-79F5-A613-537B-F83B6E19013C> /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FamilyControls.framework/Versions/A/FamilyControls
0x905b3000 - 0x9065ffe7 com.apple.CFNetwork 454.12.4 (454.12.4) <DEDCD006-389F-967F-3405-EDF541F406D7> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CFNetwork.framework/Versions/A/CFNetwork
0x90660000 - 0x90686ffb com.apple.DictionaryServices 1.1.2 (1.1.2) <43E1D565-6E01-3681-F2E5-72AE4C3A097A> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/DictionaryServices.framework/Versions/A/DictionaryServices
0x90687000 - 0x90724fe3 com.apple.LaunchServices 362.3 (362.3) <15B47388-16C8-97DA-EEBB-1709E136169E> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/LaunchServices
0x90769000 - 0x90817ff3 com.apple.ink.framework 1.3.3 (107) <233A981E-A2F9-56FB-8BDE-C2DEC3F20784> /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Ink.framework/Versions/A/Ink
0x90818000 - 0x9090cff7 libiconv.2.dylib 7.0.0 (compatibility 7.0.0) <061ABF36-8BA9-79C1-6CE7-EC69A4998F51> /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
0x90f7d000 - 0x9129dff3 com.apple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 861.39 (861.39) <5C59805C-AF39-9010-B8B5-D673C9C38538> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Versions/A/CarbonCore
0x912af000 - 0x91347fe7 edu.mit.Kerberos 6.5.11 (6.5.11) <F36DB665-A88B-7F5B-6244-6A2E7FFFF668> /System/Library/Frameworks/Kerberos.framework/Versions/A/Kerberos
0x913df000 - 0x913e8ff7 com.apple.DiskArbitration 2.3 (2.3) <E9C40767-DA6A-6CCB-8B00-2D5706753000> /System/Library/Frameworks/DiskArbitration.framework/Versions/A/DiskArbitration
0x913f0000 - 0x913f0ff7 com.apple.Accelerate.vecLib 3.6 (vecLib 3.6) <ABF97DA4-3BDF-6FFD-6239-B023CA1F7974> /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/vecLib
0x9226c000 - 0x922a6fe7 libssl.0.9.8.dylib 0.9.8 (compatibility 0.9.8) <C62A7753-99A2-6782-92E7-6628A6190A90> /usr/lib/libssl.0.9.8.dylib
0x922a7000 - 0x922bbffb com.apple.speech.synthesis.framework 3.10.35 (3.10.35) <57DD5458-4F24-DA7D-0927-C3321A65D743> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/SpeechSynthesis.framework/Versions/A/SpeechSynthesis
0x922bc000 - 0x922bffe7 libmathCommon.A.dylib 315.0.0 (compatibility 1.0.0) <1622A54F-1A98-2CBE-B6A4-2122981A500E> /usr/lib/system/libmathCommon.A.dylib
0x92470000 - 0x92475ff7 com.apple.OpenDirectory 10.6 (10.6) <0603680A-A002-D294-DE83-0D028C6BE884> /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenDirectory.framework/Versions/A/OpenDirectory
0x924bc000 - 0x924c6ffb com.apple.speech.recognition.framework 3.11.1 (3.11.1) <7486003F-8FDB-BD6C-CB34-DE45315BD82C> /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/SpeechRecognition.framework/Versions/A/SpeechRecognition
0x924ee000 - 0x92510fef com.apple.DirectoryService.Framework 3.6 (621.12) <A4A47C88-138C-A237-88A5-877E5CAB4494> /System/Library/Frameworks/DirectoryService.framework/Versions/A/DirectoryService
0x9258b000 - 0x925f5fe7 libstdc++.6.dylib 7.9.0 (compatibility 7.0.0) <411D87F4-B7E1-44EB-F201-F8B4F9227213> /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib
0x926cb000 - 0x926d1fe7 com.apple.CommerceCore 1.0 (9.1) <521D067B-3BDA-D04E-E1FA-CFA526C87EB5> /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommerceKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CommerceCore.framework/Versions/A/CommerceCore
0x926d3000 - 0x92737ffb com.apple.htmlrendering 72 (1.1.4) <4D451A35-FAB6-1288-71F6-F24A4B6E2371> /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HTMLRendering.framework/Versions/A/HTMLRendering
0x92738000 - 0x9273fff3 com.apple.print.framework.Print 6.1 (237.1) <F5AAE53D-5530-9004-A9E3-2C1690C5328E> /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Print.framework/Versions/A/Print
0x92740000 - 0x927a1fe7 com.apple.CoreText 151.10 (???) <5C2DEFBE-D54B-4DC7-D456-9ED02880BE98> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreText.framework/Versions/A/CoreText
0x927a6000 - 0x928a7fe7 libxml2.2.dylib 10.3.0 (compatibility 10.0.0) <C75F921C-F027-6372-A0A1-EDB8A6234331> /usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib
0x928a8000 - 0x928a8ff7 com.apple.vecLib 3.6 (vecLib 3.6) <FF4DC8B6-0AB0-DEE8-ADA8-7B57645A1F36> /System/Library/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/vecLib
0x928a9000 - 0x92a2bfe7 libicucore.A.dylib 40.0.0 (compatibility 1.0.0) <D5980817-6D19-9636-51C3-E82BAE26776B> /usr/lib/libicucore.A.dylib
0x92ef1000 - 0x92efffe7 libz.1.dylib 1.2.3 (compatibility 1.0.0) <33C1B260-ED05-945D-FC33-EF56EC791E2E> /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib
0x92f00000 - 0x92fb9fe7 libsqlite3.dylib 9.6.0 (compatibility 9.0.0) <52438E77-55D1-C231-1936-76F1369518E4> /usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib
0x92fba000 - 0x92fbeff7 IOSurface ??? (???) <89D859B7-A26A-A5AB-8401-FC1E01AC7A60> /System/Library/Frameworks/IOSurface.framework/Versions/A/IOSurface
0x93043000 - 0x93459ff7 libBLAS.dylib 219.0.0 (compatibility 1.0.0) <C4FB303A-DB4D-F9E8-181C-129585E59603> /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libBLAS.dylib
0x93539000 - 0x93561ff7 libxslt.1.dylib 3.24.0 (compatibility 3.0.0) <315D97C2-4E1F-A95F-A759-4A3FA5639E75> /usr/lib/libxslt.1.dylib
0x93745000 - 0x937c7ffb SecurityFoundation ??? (???) <C4506287-1AE2-5380-675D-95B0291AA425> /System/Library/Frameworks/SecurityFoundation.framework/Versions/A/SecurityFoundation
0x937c8000 - 0x93800fe7 libcurl.4.dylib 6.1.0 (compatibility 6.0.0) <242954AD-3BE1-29E8-E2E0-08063201F105> /usr/lib/libcurl.4.dylib
0x93801000 - 0x939a8ff7 libSystem.B.dylib 125.2.11 (compatibility 1.0.0) <2DCD13E3-1BD1-6F25-119A-3863A3848B90> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
0x939a9000 - 0x93a29feb com.apple.SearchKit 1.3.0 (1.3.0) <9E18AEA5-F4B4-8BE5-EEA9-818FC4F46FD9> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/SearchKit.framework/Versions/A/SearchKit
0x93a2a000 - 0x93a36ff7 libkxld.dylib ??? (???) <9A441C48-2D18-E716-5F38-CBEAE6A0BB3E> /usr/lib/system/libkxld.dylib
0x93a37000 - 0x93ca8fef com.apple.Foundation 6.6.7 (751.62) <5C995C7F-2EA9-50DC-9F2A-30237CDB31B1> /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation
0x93ca9000 - 0x93de6fe7 com.apple.audio.toolbox.AudioToolbox 1.6.7 (1.6.7) <2D31CC6F-32CC-72FF-34EC-AB40CEE496A7> /System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/AudioToolbox
0x93de7000 - 0x9410bfef com.apple.HIToolbox 1.6.5 (???) <21164164-41CE-61DE-C567-32E89755CB34> /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/HIToolbox
0x942e9000 - 0x943c3fff com.apple.DesktopServices 1.5.11 (1.5.11) <800F2040-9211-81A7-B438-7712BF51DEE3> /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/DesktopServicesPriv
0x945e0000 - 0x945f2ff7 com.apple.MultitouchSupport.framework 207.11 (207.11) <6FF4F2D6-B8CD-AE13-56CB-17437EE5B741> /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MultitouchSupport.framework/Versions/A/MultitouchSupport
0x94a42000 - 0x94a45ff7 libCoreVMClient.dylib ??? (???) <F58BDFC1-7408-53C8-0B08-48BA2F25CA43> /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libCoreVMClient.dylib
0x94bce000 - 0x94bd2ff7 libGFXShared.dylib ??? (???) <801B2C2C-1692-475A-BAD6-99F85B6E7C25> /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGFXShared.dylib
0x94bd3000 - 0x94f3eff7 com.apple.QuartzCore 1.6.3 (227.37) <E323A5CC-499E-CA9E-9BC3-537231449CAA> /System/Library/Frameworks/QuartzCore.framework/Versions/A/QuartzCore
0x950c8000 - 0x950e8fe7 libresolv.9.dylib 41.0.0 (compatibility 1.0.0) <BF7FF2F6-5FD3-D78F-77BC-9E2CB2A5E309> /usr/lib/libresolv.9.dylib
0x950e9000 - 0x951ebfe7 libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib 0.9.8 (compatibility 0.9.8) <015563C4-81E2-8C8A-82AC-31B38D904A42> /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib
0x951ec000 - 0x95266fff com.apple.audio.CoreAudio 3.2.6 (3.2.6) <156A532C-0B60-55B0-EE27-D02B82AA6217> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudio
0x954c8000 - 0x95cb7557 com.apple.CoreGraphics 1.545.0 (???) <1D9DC7A5-228B-42CB-7018-66F42C3A9BB3> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics
0x95cba000 - 0x95cfefe7 com.apple.Metadata 10.6.3 (507.15) <460BEF23-B89F-6F4C-4940-45556C0671B5> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Metadata
0x961c3000 - 0x961deff7 libPng.dylib ??? (???) <25DF2360-BFD3-0165-51AC-0BDAF7899DEC> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libPng.dylib
0x9632d000 - 0x9639cff7 libvMisc.dylib 268.0.1 (compatibility 1.0.0) <595A5539-9F54-63E6-7AAC-C04E1574B050> /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libvMisc.dylib
0x96487000 - 0x9649bfe7 libbsm.0.dylib ??? (???) <14CB053A-7C47-96DA-E415-0906BA1B78C9> /usr/lib/libbsm.0.dylib
0x9649c000 - 0x968d1ff7 libLAPACK.dylib 219.0.0 (compatibility 1.0.0) <5E2D2283-57DE-9A49-1DB0-CD027FEFA6C2> /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libLAPACK.dylib
0x96a01000 - 0x96a03ff7 com.apple.securityhi 4.0 (36638) <6118C361-61E7-B34E-93DB-1B88108F8F18> /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/SecurityHI.framework/Versions/A/SecurityHI
0x96b59000 - 0x96ba2fe7 libTIFF.dylib ??? (???) <579DC328-567D-A74C-4BCE-1D1C729E3F6D> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libTIFF.dylib
0x96c75000 - 0x96d22fe7 libobjc.A.dylib 227.0.0 (compatibility 1.0.0) <9F8413A6-736D-37D9-8EB3-7986D4699957> /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib
0x96dd9000 - 0x96dd9ff7 com.apple.Carbon 150 (152) <095157D7-B4EE-F73D-72E9-6C5EF55C55E2> /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Carbon
0x978c6000 - 0x978c6ff7 com.apple.ApplicationServices 38 (38) <8012B504-3D83-BFBB-DA65-065E061CFE03> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices
0x978c7000 - 0x978ffff7 com.apple.LDAPFramework 2.0 (120.1) <131ED804-DD88-D84F-13F8-D48E0012B96F> /System/Library/Frameworks/LDAP.framework/Versions/A/LDAP
0x97900000 - 0x97902ff7 libRadiance.dylib ??? (???) <5920EB69-8D7F-5EFD-70AD-590FCB5C9E6C> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libRadiance.dylib
0x97c7a000 - 0x97d32feb libFontParser.dylib ??? (???) <D57D3834-9395-FD58-092A-49B3708E8C89> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libFontParser.dylib
0x98c86000 - 0x98cc9ff7 libGLU.dylib ??? (???) <FB26DD53-03F4-A7D7-8804-EBC5B3B37FA3> /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLU.dylib
0x98d48000 - 0x98e28fe7 com.apple.vImage 4.1 (4.1) <D029C515-08E1-93A6-3705-DD062A3A672C> /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vImage.framework/Versions/A/vImage
0x98e29000 - 0x98febfeb com.apple.ImageIO.framework 3.0.4 (3.0.4) <027F55DF-7E4E-2310-1536-3F470CB8847B> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
0x98fec000 - 0x9901dff7 libGLImage.dylib ??? (???) <0EE86397-A867-0BBA-E5B1-B800E43FC5CF> /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLImage.dylib
0x9903b000 - 0x9903cff7 com.apple.audio.units.AudioUnit 1.6.7 (1.6.7) <838E1760-F7D9-3239-B3A8-20E25EFD1379> /System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework/Versions/A/AudioUnit
0x9904b000 - 0x99060fff com.apple.ImageCapture 6.1 (6.1) <B909459A-EAC9-A7C8-F2A9-CD757CDB59E8> /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageCapture.framework/Versions/A/ImageCapture
0x99081000 - 0x990b4ff7 com.apple.AE 496.5 (496.5) <BF9673D5-2419-7120-26A3-83D264C75222> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AE.framework/Versions/A/AE
0x990b5000 - 0x99180fef com.apple.CoreServices.OSServices 359.2 (359.2) <7C16D9C8-6F41-5754-17F7-2659D9DD9579> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/OSServices.framework/Versions/A/OSServices
0x99181000 - 0x991c5ff3 com.apple.coreui 2 (114) <2234855E-3BED-717F-0BFA-D1A289ECDBDA> /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/CoreUI
0x991c6000 - 0x99213feb com.apple.DirectoryService.PasswordServerFramework 6.1 (6.1) <00A1A83B-0E7D-D0F4-A643-8C5675C2BB21> /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PasswordServer.framework/Versions/A/PasswordServer
0x99214000 - 0x99267ff7 com.apple.HIServices 1.8.3 (???) <1D3C4587-6318-C339-BD0F-1988F246BE2E> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIServices.framework/Versions/A/HIServices
0x99268000 - 0x992abff7 com.apple.NavigationServices 3.5.4 (182) <8DC6FD4A-6C74-9C23-A4C3-715B44A8D28C> /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/NavigationServices.framework/Versions/A/NavigationServices
0x992ac000 - 0x992acff7 com.apple.Accelerate 1.6 (Accelerate 1.6) <3891A689-4F38-FACD-38B2-4BF937DE30CF> /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Accelerate
0x99348000 - 0x99355ff7 com.apple.NetFS 3.2.2 (3.2.2) <DDC9C397-C35F-8D7A-BB24-3D1B42FA5FAB> /System/Library/Frameworks/NetFS.framework/Versions/A/NetFS
0x993f7000 - 0x99431ff7 libcups.2.dylib 2.8.0 (compatibility 2.0.0) <038731B1-CC44-3943-E3DE-4BAAA203EB72> /usr/lib/libcups.2.dylib
0x99432000 - 0x99435ffb com.apple.help 1.3.2 (41.1) <8AC20B01-4A3B-94BA-D8AF-E39034B97D8C> /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Help.framework/Versions/A/Help
0x99436000 - 0x99473ff7 com.apple.SystemConfiguration 1.10.8 (1.10.2) <50E4D49B-4F61-446F-1C21-1B2BA814713D> /System/Library/Frameworks/SystemConfiguration.framework/Versions/A/SystemConfiguration
0x99474000 - 0x99493ff7 com.apple.CoreVideo 1.6.2 (45.6) <EB53CAA4-5EE2-C356-A954-5775F7DDD493> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreVideo.framework/Versions/A/CoreVideo
0x99494000 - 0x994b5fe7 com.apple.opencl 12.3.6 (12.3.6) <B4104B80-1CB3-191C-AFD3-697843C6BCFF> /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Versions/A/OpenCL
0x994b6000 - 0x99572fff com.apple.ColorSync 4.6.6 (4.6.6) <7CD8B191-039A-02C3-EA5E-4194EC59995B> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ColorSync.framework/Versions/A/ColorSync
0x99581000 - 0x99582ff7 com.apple.TrustEvaluationAgent 1.1 (1) <2D970A9B-77E8-EDC0-BEC6-7580D78B2843> /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/TrustEvaluationAgent.framework/Versions/A/TrustEvaluationAgent
0x9958e000 - 0x99629fe7 com.apple.ApplicationServices.ATS 275.16 (???) <873C8B8A-B563-50F7-7628-524EE9E8DF0F> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Versions/A/ATS
0x996c7000 - 0x9992dff7 com.apple.security 6.1.2 (55002) <64A20CEB-E614-D35F-7B9F-246BCB25BA23> /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Versions/A/Security
0x99fd8000 - 0x99fe3ff7 libGL.dylib ??? (???) <3E34468F-E9A7-8EFB-FF66-5204BD5B4E21> /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib
0x9a04e000 - 0x9a04eff7 com.apple.CoreServices 44 (44) <51CFA89A-33DB-90ED-26A8-67D461718A4A> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices
0x9a08d000 - 0x9a208fe7 com.apple.CoreFoundation 6.6.5 (550.43) <10B8470A-88B7-FC74-1C2F-E5CBD966C051> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation
0x9a252000 - 0x9a263ff7 com.apple.LangAnalysis 1.6.6 (1.6.6) <3036AD83-4F1D-1028-54EE-54165E562650> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LangAnalysis.framework/Versions/A/LangAnalysis
0x9a55f000 - 0x9a5f1fe7 com.apple.print.framework.PrintCore 6.3 (312.7) <7410D1B2-655D-68DA-D4B9-2C65747B6817> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/PrintCore.framework/Versions/A/PrintCore
0x9a614000 - 0x9a622ff7 com.apple.opengl 1.6.13 (1.6.13) <025A905D-C1A3-B24A-1585-37C328D77148> /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL
0x9a62e000 - 0x9a64afe3 com.apple.openscripting 1.3.1 (???) <2A748037-D1C0-6D47-2C4A-0562AF799AC9> /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/OpenScripting.framework/Versions/A/OpenScripting
0x9a681000 - 0x9a6c3ff7 libvDSP.dylib 268.0.1 (compatibility 1.0.0) <8A4721DE-25C4-C8AA-EA90-9DA7812E3EBA> /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libvDSP.dylib
0x9a6c4000 - 0x9a6dcff7 com.apple.CFOpenDirectory 10.6 (10.6) <D1CF5881-0AF7-D164-4156-9E9067B7FA37> /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenDirectory.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CFOpenDirectory.framework/Versions/A/CFOpenDirectory
0x9a6dd000 - 0x9a6edff7 libsasl2.2.dylib 3.15.0 (compatibility 3.0.0) <C8744EA3-0AB7-CD03-E639-C4F2B910BE5D> /usr/lib/libsasl2.2.dylib
0x9a93f000 - 0x9a99cff7 com.apple.framework.IOKit 2.0 (???) <3DABAB9C-4949-F441-B077-0498F8E47A35> /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit
0x9a9b6000 - 0x9aac2ff7 libGLProgrammability.dylib ??? (???) <04D7E5C3-B0C3-054B-DF49-3B333DCDEE22> /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLProgrammability.dylib
0xffff0000 - 0xffff1fff libSystem.B.dylib ??? (???) <2DCD13E3-1BD1-6F25-119A-3863A3848B90> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

Last edited by ryck; 08/22/11 05:14 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #17142 08/22/11 05:28 PM

And, on my machine, this morning ~Hard Drive/Library/Preferences ....continues to have only com.apple.loginwindow.plist.

Well, part of the confusion is due to differing uses of the tilde character (~). In Unix, the tilde is used as shorthand for /Users/your_short_username/, so when artie suggested moving those three prefs files, he was explicitly referring to those found in your user Library: ~/Library/Preferences, not the boot volume level Library: /Library/Preferences.

dkmarsh #17148 08/22/11 06:44 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Ah, thanks, yet more lumens. Good to "see things" better.

ryck

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
dkmarsh #17160 08/23/11 05:54 AM

I got lazy recently and began using the tilde rather than /Users/Your short name as had been my habit...short-lived exercise that was!

ryck #17161 08/23/11 07:14 AM

> ~Hard Drive/Library/Preferences ....still only has com.apple.loginwindow.plist and things are working fine.

dkmarsh has discussed the nomenclature issue, but not the file, itself... I've got the same file in /Library/Preferences, and its functionality (in my instance, anyhow) doesn't include anything that has any apparent connection to any of your issues.

> The only change, and it's cosmetic, is that the picture behind the login window reverted to that purple, cosmos thing that the OS comes with. However, even after restoring it to one of Apple's Nature images, no other plist has yet appeared. I thought that changing a "preference" might create a plist to keep track of it.

I'm totally confused by that... The default "Cosmos" image behind the login window can be changed only by a 3rd party app, not by a preference; Apple's "Nature" images (Those located at /Apps/SysPrefs > Desktop & Screensaver > Desktop > Apple are the only such items of which I'm aware.) are desktop images that affect only the default "Cosmos" desktop image.

> At this log-in the machine took a moment to pop in my All Sites pages so I checked toe Prefs folder and the User Library now has loginwindow.plist. So it appears: "Just leave them alone and they'll come home, wagging their tails behind them".

Confused again... How does Safari's "Top Sites" (Terminology failure...I meant the Top Sites...[....]) functionality fit into this discussion?

> The AdobeResourceSynchronizer is another story. It seems this has been a problem for a few people (a real CPU hog).

And that sounds like the answer to your slow-loading menu bar issue... If AdobeResourceSynchronizer was hogging resources when it loaded it would, in all likelihood, have slowed down the entire login process, and if you haven't restored ARS as a Login Item and you're no longer experiencing menu bar hangs, you've got corroborating evidence.

And, finally, please humor me, because the nomenclature issue discussed by dkmarsh has cast a bit of a shadow on your earlier reports.

You've now got com.apple.loginitems.plist,
loginwindow.plist, and
com.apple.loginwindow.plist in /Users/Your short name/Library/Preferences.

Pleeeze, just one last time, move those three files to your desktop, restart, and post which of the three is immediately recreated in /Users/Your short name/Library/Preferences. (Afterwards, you can restore the first two files to /Users/Your short name/Library/Preferences and leave the third one on your desktop; its absence should not have any adverse effects, and it should not be recreated, as it's apparently an unneeded Leopard leftover.)

Many thanks for that last. smile

artie505 #17163 08/23/11 10:48 AM

> The only change, and it's cosmetic, is that the picture behind the login window reverted to that purple, cosmos thing that the OS comes with. However, even after restoring it to one of Apple's Nature images, no other plist has yet appeared. I thought that changing a "preference" might create a plist to keep track of it.

I'm totally confused by that... The default "Cosmos" image behind the login window can be changed only by a 3rd party app, not by a preference; Apple's "Nature" images (Those located at /Apps/SysPrefs > Desktop & Screensaver > Desktop > Apple are the only such items of which I'm aware.) are desktop images that affect only the default "Cosmos" desktop image.

Not sure whence comes your vehemence regarding one's ability to change the login window's default image without a third-party app, but you're incorrect.

I currently have displaying at the login window may_tomatoes.jpg, and this is maintained in /Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist as follows:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>AdminHostInfo</key>
	<string>HostName</string>
	<key>DesktopPicture</key>
	<string>/Library/Desktop Pictures/may_tomatoes.jpg</string>
	<key>RetriesUntilHint</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
	<key>SHOWFULLNAME</key>
	<false/>
	<key>lastUser</key>
	<string>loggedIn</string>
	<key>lastUserName</key>
	<string>dkmarsh</string>
</dict>
</plist>

To effect such a change, copy the desired image to /Library/Desktop Pictures, and then in Terminal enter this command:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow DesktopPicture "/Library/Desktop\ Pictures/image_name"

To assure yourself that this preference is really maintained by this plist, after having made such a change via a third-party app, drag the plist to the Desktop and visit the login window; it will have reverted to cosmos.jpg.

(Further note: I don't think the desired replacement picture needs to be in /Library/Desktop Pictures, but I wasn't able to change the picture to one located in my Pictures folder, apparently because the permissions on an image located there (correctly) preclude its being read by other users.)

BTW, I have plists in /Library/Preferences with the same three names as those we've been discussing in the user's prefs folder. Once again, loginwindow.plist and com.apple.loginitems.plist seem to cover the same territory—in this case, some HP login items of uncertain function which were part of my AIO software installation.

artie505 #17166 08/23/11 11:59 AM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Neither do I understand why it happened, except that it did, so I thought I should report it in case it might shed some light.

> At this log-in the machine took a moment to pop in my All Sites pages so I checked toe Prefs folder and the User Library now has loginwindow.plist. So it appears: "Just leave them alone and they'll come home, wagging their tails behind them".

Confused again... How does Safari's "Top Sites" (Terminology failure...I meant the Top Sites...[....]) functionality fit into this discussion?

Again, I didn't know whether or not it would shed any light. However, since it occurred concurrent with everything else that was being done, I thought I should report it. I don't have sufficient knowledge to know fully what may or may not be important, so I just throw it all in.

> The AdobeResourceSynchronizer is another story. It seems this has been a problem for a few people (a real CPU hog).

And that sounds like the answer to your slow-loading menu bar issue... If AdobeResourceSynchronizer was hogging resources when it loaded it would, in all likelihood, have slowed down the entire login process, and if you haven't restored ARS as a Login Item and you're no longer experiencing menu bar hangs, you've got corroborating evidence.

I hope so. Right now I'm not running either Adobe Reader or Flash but, should I decide to re-install I will check to see if Adobe has popped AdobeResourceSynchronizer back in. If so, I'll just pop it back out.

loginwindow.plist, and

Pleeeze, just one last time, move those three files to your desktop, restart, and post which of the three is immediately recreated in /Users/Your short name/Library/Preferences.

Done and you're welcome. There was now only one and it was: loginwindow.plist

A check of Apps/System Prefs/Accounts/Login Items showed that EyeTV Helper and Microsoft AU Daemon were gone which, I assume, was expected.

Both EyeTV Helper and Microsoft AU Daemon have been restored and I now have the addition of com.apple.loginitems.plist

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 08/23/11 12:10 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
dkmarsh #17167 08/23/11 12:04 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

To effect such a change, copy the desired image to /Library/Desktop Pictures, and then in Terminal enter this command:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow DesktopPicture "/Library/Desktop\ Pictures/image_name"

To assure yourself that this preference is really maintained by this plist, after having made such a change via a third-party app, drag the plist to the Desktop and visit the login window; it will have reverted to cosmos.jpg.

I took a little longer route as I did not know how to do it with software. I opened the Nature pictures file and copied the one I wanted. I did not make any changes to it at all, leaving it exactly the same as Apple has created it.

I opened HD/System/Library/CoreServices and removed DefaultDesktop.jpg and then renamed my Nature jpg as DefaultDesktop.jpg

I put the new DefaultDesktop.jpg into the CoreServices Folder.

Thanks for the Terminal tip.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 08/23/11 12:06 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #17181 08/23/11 10:46 PM

The only change, and it's cosmetic, is that the picture behind the login window reverted to that purple, cosmos thing that the OS comes with. However, even after restoring it to one of Apple's Nature images, no other plist has yet appeared. I thought that changing a "preference" might create a plist to keep track of it.

As I indicated in my previous post, your selection for the login window picture is maintained in /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist, so when you moved that file the selection reverted to the default.

When you restored it to your preferred image, no additional plist appeared because /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist was already in existence. I suspect you'll see the path to that Nature image you restored to the login window if you enter the Terminal command

defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow DesktopPicture

Edited to add: That command is the Terminal equivalent to opening /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist and examining the value of the Desktop Picture attribute; my point in mentioning it is just to show that the change you made is in fact recorded in that plist (assuming that it is!).

Last edited by dkmarsh; 08/23/11 10:52 PM.

dkmarsh #17182 08/23/11 11:42 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

I suspect you'll see the path to that Nature image you restored to the login window if you enter the Terminal command

[font:Courier]defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow DesktopPicture[/font

It appears to be elusive. Entering the command generated the following.

2011-08-23 17:35:36.578 defaults[1344:903]
The domain/default pair of (com.apple.loginwindow, DesktopPicture) does not exist
user-names-imac:~ username$

ryck

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
dkmarsh #17186 08/24/11 05:16 AM

> Not sure whence comes your vehemence....

Nor am I; I thought I had picked up the info somewhere waaay back in MFIF.

Thanks for correcting me.

> BTW, I have plists in /Library/Preferences with the same three names as those we've been discussing in the user's prefs folder. Once again, loginwindow.plist and com.apple.loginitems.plist seem to cover the same territory—in this case, some HP login items of uncertain function which were part of my AIO software installation.

I've got only com.apple.loginwindow.plist.

ryck #17187 08/24/11 05:40 AM

Neither do I understand why it happened, except that it did, so I thought I should report it in case it might shed some light.

It happened because you moved the plist in /Library rather than the one in /Users/Your short name/Library, and thanks for reporting what happened; I learned something new.

I hope so. Right now I'm not running either Adobe Reader or Flash but, should I decide to re-install I will check to see if Adobe has popped AdobeResourceSynchronizer back in. If so, I'll just pop it back out.

I wonder whether it was AdobeResourceSynchronizer, per se, that was at the root of your issue (assuming it's gone) or whether it was a corrupt ARS? I guess you'll find out if it's ever resurrected as a Login Item.

For the moment, though, this thread has apparently reached its logical conclusion.

loginwindow.plist, and

Pleeeze, just one last time, move those three files to your desktop, restart, and post which of the three is immediately recreated in /Users/Your short name/Library/Preferences.

Done and you're welcome. There was now only one and it was: loginwindow.plist

A check of Apps/System Prefs/Accounts/Login Items showed that EyeTV Helper and Microsoft AU Daemon were gone which, I assume, was expected.

Both EyeTV Helper and Microsoft AU Daemon have been restored and I now have the addition of com.apple.loginitems.plist

Great... We've now got consistency, between you, me, and dk, anyhow, on the apparent loginwindow.plist anomaly.

Also, your assumption is correct, and the recreation of com.apple.loginitems.plist is consistent with what I've experienced.

Hopefully, "Case Closed!" is not unwarranted optimism.

artie505 #17188 08/24/11 02:43 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Hopefully, "Case Closed!" is not unwarranted optimism.

Amen. And thanks to you and dk.

ryck

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #17214 08/26/11 04:36 AM

You're very welcome, ryck.

And now that this episode has, hopefully, reached its conclusion, I'm wondering whether our excursion into the world of SystemUIServer was necessary? I hope we never find out!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard