for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iTunes and AirPort
#17002 08/14/11 06:27 AM
OP Online

I doubt that there's anything that can be done about this, but I'm curious about why it happens...

When I put my deuced Mac(hina) to sleep by shutting the clamshell, iTunes sometimes makes an immediate connection with my Base Station when I re-open the clamshell and sometimes times out and reverts to my internal speakers, necessitating my re-selecting my Base Station.

Mail.app, on the other hand, invariably times out before fetching new mail.

Is the issue that iTunes is a slower starter than Mail and sometimes suffers from local interference...sometimes doesn't?

Thanks for any insight. smile

Edit: My Base Station and MacBook are 3 inches apart.

Last edited by artie505; 08/14/11 10:51 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: iTunes and AirPort
artie505 #17011 08/14/11 03:19 PM

Sounds more like a race condition, your airport tying to reconnect while applications are trying to re-establish network connections.

You'd think OS X would have some mechanism in place to make apps wait 5 sec or so after wakeup for the network to come back up before trying to use it, but I don't think that happens. So, probably down to pot luck.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #17025 08/15/11 01:31 AM
OP Online

"Race" is the exact word I've used in my musings, but I'm wondering why Mail and Safari always lose while iTunes sometimes wins/sometimes loses?

> You'd think OS X would have some mechanism in place to make apps wait 5 sec or so after wakeup for the network to come back up before trying to use it, but I don't think that happens.

Good idea; maybe you can sell it to Apple.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #17027 08/15/11 01:47 AM

I doubt you could "sell" the idea to Apple, but you can suggest it to them at Apple's Product Feedback. Don't expect a response — you won't get one, but this may show up either in a future Lion Update or OS X Upgrade. Most probably in a future OS X Upgrade.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #17028 08/15/11 03:12 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I doubt you could "sell" the idea to Apple, but you can suggest it to them at Apple's Product Feedback. Don't expect a response — you won't get one, but this may show up either in a future Lion Update or OS X Upgrade. Most probably in a future OS X Upgrade.

I posted at both Hardware and Software Feedback since this issue is not clearly restricted to either.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard