for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New SL iMac queries
#16817 08/04/11 04:57 PM
OP Offline

Having waited 8 hours for the delivery man today, I've finally at 6pm, unpacked one of the two brand new SL iMacs and am installing it.

First tiny little glitch, it will be very obvious to everyone else, I hope.

Brand new, so I told it the owner's name (my boss) let's call him John Smith.

Network (local network in this office) shows John Smith's iMac.

Boring. Not the name we chose. Renamed the HD icon on the desktop to (what he'd chosen), Sherlock. Then went into System Prefs, Sharing, typed in Sherlock.

Now, other Macs on this local office network are showing both

John Smith's iMac
and
Sherlock.

(to pre-empt the next question, yes I did counsel against "Sherlock" as a network name because it's already a Mac application.......)

So how do I get rid of John Smith's iMac on the Finder>Network display on the other iMacs here, please?

I'm sure it's something really simple. Thank you in advance.

(goes back to installing software..........)
(will probably have other SL questions too.......)

Thanks again <wrings hands and smiles>

Re: New SL iMac queries
Bensheim #16825 08/04/11 07:08 PM
OP Offline

OK I've sorted that out. It was my thinking back to OS9 days and a permissions mistake on the HD icon. Once I'd undone that, it no longer shows up on networked computers.

However, I've (because I was so tired when I was doing it) entered the wrong password when setting up Mail. Went back and corrected it, but a test mail from that computer to this hasn't arrived. Can I reinstall Mail, only, from the Apps disk which came with the new iMac. I'll find out tomorrow when I give it a shot, I guess.

Bensheim #16826 08/04/11 07:45 PM

It is not easy to install Mail separately and fortunately there is absolutely no need to do so.
  1. First delete the account:
    1. In Mail > Preferences > Accounts select the account in the left hand pane of the Window
    2. At the bottom of the accounts list pane click on the minus sign (-).
  2. After deleting the account, click on the plus sign at the bottom of the accounts list pane and setup the account again. After entering the account address and password Mail will "test" the account and password to validate it. If your entries do not validate you have almost certainly made an error in either the address or password.
  3. when you enter the address and password for the Outgoing (SMTP) server mail will once again test the validity of your entries. If they do not work, then go back and try again.

You can also go to /Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access, find the passwords for the IMAP or POP server — as appropriate — and the SMTP server then go back to Mail > Preferences > Accounts and re-enter the data, but I find simply deleting and the account easier and more reliable.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #16828 08/04/11 07:56 PM
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, you're a wonderful person. Please write that down somewhere.

I'm really tired now, but will check all that out tomorrow.

I've had a look around the net, and other people suggest deleting the com.apple.mail.plist

Elsewhere, I see many other people having probs with Mail when they upgrade from Tiger to SL, but in this case I think (I hope) it was just me.

Thanks again, will report back tomorrow.

You didn't ask, so I'll tell you anyway. My first impression of SL? Fast, there are some user interface tweaks I could have done without, all will be revealed when the new computers go into production. < gulp >

ps. I'm alone here, internet my only hope, so thanks again for responding in your usual BRILLIANTly calm and helpful way.

Bensheim #16841 08/05/11 11:35 AM
OP Offline

Just to report that Joe's fix worked. Email now up and running on new iMac.

Twice it said that a certificate was not necessarily to be trusted, but I had no option but to carry on.

Interesting that iWork copied over from the to-be-taken-out G4, didn't run, I had to instal it afresh. Another application demanded a registration key, which fortunately I'd saved on another Mac. That was a relief, the people who make it are not superfast at responding to emails.

Another one said 'you need Rosetta for this, shall we look for it for you' and down it came, so that's working too.

I am finding it odd that networked discs (other computers in this office) do not show up on the desktop as in Tiger. If there's a way of making this work/show, can someone please tell me? Thanks.

And more thanks to this excellent forum.

Bensheim #16843 08/05/11 12:48 PM

Quote:
Just to report that Joe's fix worked. Email now up and running on new iMac.

Having had similar problems myself in the recent past, I was pretty confident my fix would work, but I am glad you are up and running.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #16851 08/05/11 06:40 PM
OP Offline

This is taking hours, all day and still not there yet. Today I started on the second new SL iMac for my own desk. This is far more complicated as I use far more 3rd party s/w than yesterday's one.

It's strange to me, that a very old application ClarisWorks, works on 10.6 with the aid of Rosetta which software updater obligingly finds and installs for you.

DeltaGraph I copied over and only had to re-supply the licence number. iWork I had to reinstal and re-supply the licence number. A microsoft suite to my surprise, just copied over without hassle, all it wanted was a software update, no licence number.

So just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water, I tried FileMakerPro, my essential database without which I cannot work and the license for which was the most expensive I have ever bought in my life.

Does it work in Snow Leopard? Does it heck. Rinkydinky Clarisworks, works, but not big expensive Filemaker. Rummaging around the web, of course I find many other people in the same situation! And Filemaker blame Apple, and Apple blame Filemaker. FM's fix is a download which works only after it refuses to work 6 times......every time you load it. Their solution is to BUY an upgrade for a further HUNDRED AND TWELVE POUNDS.

mad

I'll think about it, but now I am definitely not going to commit the other two iMacs in this office to upgrading from Tiger to SL, yet.

Give them all a week in production first, perhaps. (2 Tigers and 2 S.Leopards.)

more follows, no doubt. Kind words would be appreciated even if you've all seen it all before. Thank you.

Bensheim #16908 08/09/11 03:44 PM
OP Offline

We Are Finally Live in this office on the new iMacs with Snow Leopard!

3 resounding cheers for my work here, on my own (apart from some small but vital help from folks here) and all in the nick of time with the boss arriving within the half hour.

New iMacs installed, tested, ready for work.
Old Macs in another room to be taken back to first base for onward disposal.
Clean, neat, desks.
SPIFFY looking computers.
EXCELLENTLY working computers (I'm typing this on one of them)

The final s/w download arrived this morning, after all that grief (another thread).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And boy oh boy is this new iMac fast! I've just been working on a routine Numbers spreadsheet. On the old G4 when I pressed apple-S (save) a scroll bar would appear and crawl across the screen while it saved to disk. On the new SL iMac, apple-S goes 'blink' or 'bam' or whatever word one can type to indicate that it saves 'snap' just like that! Amazing.

Snow Leopard question to you'all who have been using it for longer than 2 days:

That stack thing. Do you like it? Do you use it? If you get rid of it, can you get it back again?

Bensheim #16911 08/09/11 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Bensheim
That stack thing. [...] If you get rid of it, can you get it back again?

If you're referring to the Downloads and Documents folders in the dock, you can control their (single click) appearance by clicking on them and holding the mouse button down until a popup control menu appears. Then modify as desired.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #16912 08/09/11 09:49 PM

It should probably be noted that any folder in the Dock (i.e. one placed there by the user as well) is handled the same way.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #16946 08/11/11 04:03 PM

I get rid of that by making a folder in my home called DOCK. there, I place ALIASES to folders I want to put in the dock and to behave traditionally. Then I drag the aliases from DOCK into the dock. and they appear as folders in the dock, and stay that way.

I've also needed to use this fix when placing network shares in the dock, they blew up badly with early releases of 10.5. These are much better behaved.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
alternaut #16952 08/11/11 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
you can control their (single click) appearance by clicking on them and holding the mouse button down until a popup control menu appears. Then modify as desired.

Are you sure that isn't Control+Click (or right click} that brings up the Context menu which offers the option to display in Fan, Grid, List, or Automatic. Automatic defaults to Fan when there are only a few items to display. If there are too many items for the fan display then Dock switches to a grid display. You can find a full description of the Dock and the various stack options in this Apple Knowledge Base article.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #16956 08/11/11 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: alternaut
you can control their (single click) appearance by clicking on them and holding the mouse button down until a popup control menu appears. Then modify as desired.

Are you sure that isn't Control+Click (or right click} that brings up the Context menu which offers the option to display in Fan, Grid, List, or Automatic.

It's all of the above: click-hold, Control-click and right-click (when applicable). I normally use a Logitech multi-button mouse, so I unearthed the single-button wireless Apple mouse that came with my iMac, and the results are the same. That is, in Leopard (haven't tried it in Snowy or Lion).

alternaut moderator
alternaut #16958 08/12/11 12:03 AM

Quote:
It's all of the above: click-hold, Control-click and right-click

Hmmm? I can't get click-Hold to work using a wireless trackpad in Lion. Maybe I am not holding my mouth right — again.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #16961 08/12/11 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Maybe I am not holding my mouth right — again.

Darn, that pose looks so fetching on you... smirk

alternaut moderator

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard