FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mag Link Power Adapter
#16480 07/13/11 06:16 AM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

My daughter called this evening. She has a 13.5" MacBook (2006, 1.83 GHz) and the power adapter blew. She bought a new one and was going to attach it when she noticed that the replacement is 85 watt. Her machine uses a 60 watt.

She wanted to know if she could use it.

I told her I wasn't sure. I didn't know if the wattage meant the amount the adapter is capable of delivering but that the machine would only draw what it needs...or...if the output was a constant 85 watts and that her machine would be getting more than necessary, with the possibility of internal component damage.

Should she have an adapter with matching wattage?

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 07/13/11 06:18 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: MagSafe Power Adapter
ryck #16481 07/13/11 09:03 AM

According to Intel-Based Apple Portables: Identifying the right power adapter:

Quote:
Power adapters for Intel-based Apple portables are available in 45W, 60W, and 85W varieties. Although you should always use the proper wattage adapter for your Apple portable, you can use an adapter of a higher wattage without issue.

For instance If you have a MacBook (13-inch Late 2009) that normally uses a 60W adapter, you can also use an 85W adapter with that computer.

Last edited by dkmarsh; 07/13/11 09:13 AM. Reason: edited subject to be more search-friendly

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #16483 07/13/11 10:59 AM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Thanks. She has subsequently dropped a note with a JPEG of the unit (which I would include but I don't have a website) and it shows that it is the cable itself, not the adapter, that blew.

The fault is at the adapter end of the cable, where the Maglink cable exits the adapter and is just past the strain relief. The cable has been blown right out, and has the burnt look of a dead short such as you see with a shorted A/C cable, so I'm assuming it's cable fatigue from being wrapped/unwrapped for storage.

This may be a goofy question, but I have to ask: Is there any chance that something in the computer itself would cause a malfunction in the adapter which then blew the cable? The logical side of me says the adapter simply converts the 120V A/C to something else, which then goes one-way to the Maglink end but.....

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 07/13/11 11:28 AM. Reason: Additional Info

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #16487 07/13/11 02:24 PM

My son bought a new power adaptor for his Macbook Pro at the Apple Store a couple of weeks ago and was told they are recommending the 85 watt adaptor to everyone regardless of which MacBook or MacBook Pro the user has. So I think your daughter is safe on that question.

As to cause of the burnout, my first suspicion would be physical damage to the power cord such as getting pinched in the hinge of a briefcase or snagged in a zipper as you initially surmised. But there are others, such as V1 who are more qualified to comment on the possibility of an internal short causing the burnout.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #16493 07/13/11 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
My son bought a new power adaptor for his Macbook Pro at the Apple Store a couple of weeks ago and was told they are recommending the 85 watt adaptor to everyone regardless of which MacBook or MacBook Pro the user has.

Was your son given a reason for the recommendation? (The two are listed at the same $79 in the Apple Store, so corporate greed can't be blamed.)

Related question: Does the 85W adaptor draw more AC power than does the 60W?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
ryck #16494 07/13/11 05:49 PM

> "I'm assuming it's cable fatigue from being wrapped/unwrapped for storage."

Virtual1 has posted (more or less) that using those watchmacallits on the power block for wrapping the cable is a recipe for disaster. (I know that my natural tendency is to pull a bit harder on the cable than I probably ought to in order to get things "just so.")

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #16498 07/13/11 07:17 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: artie505
Virtual1 has posted (more or less) that using those watchmacallits on the power block for wrapping the cable is a recipe for disaster.

Yes. In the note I sent back to my daughter, I said:

"Looking at the JPEG, I see the blown section is just where the cable strain relief ends. That's the plastic piece that goes around the cable and extends from the adapter about a 1/2 inch. It appears that you likely fold the cable there, at a right angle, when you wrap it for storage.

If so, don't do that.

You should allow the cable to come out about an inch and have it gently curve to where you wrap it. There are a number of wires (probably four) inside the cable and, if it's bent at a right angle, a couple of the wires have to travel farther than the other two.

I know it sounds strange, because the distance is so tiny, but after many, many, folds the wires will finally break. If they then touch the others you have a "short" and kaboom."

Maybe I should send an amending note with the recommendation that she simply coil the cable and skip the wrapping.

ryck

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
artie505 #16501 07/13/11 08:34 PM

The reason given is the 85 watt adaptor will work on any Macbook or Macbook Pro that has a magSafe connection whereas the smaller power supplies will not. At this particular store it appeared they were stocking the 85 watt adaptor exclusively, but neither of us investigated that closely.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #16504 07/13/11 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
The reason given is the 85 watt adaptor will work on any Macbook or Macbook Pro that has a magSafe connection whereas the smaller power supplies will not. At this particular store it appeared they were stocking the 85 watt adaptor exclusively, but neither of us investigated that closely.

Makes sense, particularly inventory-wise; thanks.

Re: Mag Link Power Adapter
ryck #16517 07/14/11 04:00 PM

watts (and current) are supplied on-demand. the power supply need only be able to meet or exceed the rating to work. Voltage and frequency need to match however.

Apple's original macbooks shipped with a paltry 60w adapter. it's perfectly fine to run them off the 85w adapters. you may need to run a firmware update if the machine is behind on its updates, since the new magsafes won't be recognized by the original mobo's firmware.

Also the latest are the ones that run the cord away at 90 deg, sometimes that can cause problems with other cables or arrangements, or if the case is bent (mbp) it may not meet properly.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #16527 07/15/11 05:45 AM

I've always thought it would be a good idea for Apple to either replace or augment the default strain-protector with a relatively stiff spring about 1 1/2 - 2" long.

Any thoughts?

artie505 #16568 07/18/11 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Any thoughts?

Ya, it wouldn't look nearly as stylish and clean as the current solution. And that's a big thing to overcome in redesigning an Apple product.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard