for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Requiem for Rosetta
#16407 07/06/11 03:12 PM
OP Online

This is not a troubleshooting issue per. se. more like a tip in preparation for the Lion upgrade.

By now Mac users know, or should know, that Rosetta will not be a part of OS X 10.7 (Lion) when it is released this month. Surprisingly, some supposedly Universal applications have embedded PPC components lurking in wait to surprise us after the installation of Lion. Theoretically you could go through each application and do a Get Info to see the application type but even then you might miss some support utility that will bite you. The best tip for checking I have found came from Small Dog Computing and I learned about a feature of System Profiler I was unaware of:
Originally Posted By: Small Dog Tech Tails
To view all of the applications on your machine regardless of location, open up System Profiler. You can do that either by going to the Apple Menu on the top left of your screen, selecting “About This Mac…” and hitting “More Info…”, or by navigating to Applications/Utilities and opening “System Profiler” from there. Once open, you should see “Software” in the lower lefthand column. Make sure the triangle is pointing down (click it if it isn’t) and select “Applications.” If you’re an app pack rat like I am, this could take a while to load, but eventually all of your applications will show up in a nice long list.

Once your applications appear, you can click on the “Kind” column to sort by kind. You will most likely have three kinds: Intel, Universal and PowerPC. Some lucky people may still also have Classic apps on their system. If you have any Classic apps and you’re running 10.5 or later, please note those apps don’t open so it would be in your best interest to remove them from your machine. Draw your attention to the PowerPC apps. Those are the ones that will not run under Lion.
I uncovered three apps on my system that are PPC, one of which I really like and have depended on and another is a game I have enjoyed for years, and the third is one I do not remember ever installing or using. Unfortunately, a visit to the developer's web sites showed no signs of their intention to update their software to Intel compatibility. crazy

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Requiem for Rosetta
joemikeb #16410 07/06/11 04:50 PM

Nobody is safe. Remember adobe creative suite previously shipped with a PPC-only versioncue, and as you are probably aware, rosetta doesn't work for system preferences. That caused a lot of people some grief.

Spotting what's going to blow up in advance is going to be quite a challenge. I know I've been surprised by the things that have triggered a rosetta download. Microsoft office 2008 has a PPC scheduling daemon for example. Prepare for ambush...

It would be useful to have a way to UNinstall rosetta and run for a week to see what crawls out of the woodwork. Is that easy to do?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #16413 07/06/11 07:19 PM

You could always keep a Snow Leopard partition...

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #16414 07/06/11 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: freelance
You could always keep a Snow Leopard partition...

I'm going to go that one better... I'm about to sell my 2.0 GHz iBook G4, and I intend to bill it as the ultimate "Bridge" Mac: With its factory supplied Panther in one partition and Leopard 10.5.8 in another, you can fax, run Classic apps, run PPC apps, and, as a bonus, run the latest versions of Safari and iTunes and both enjoy a safe browsing experience and keep your iDevices up to date with the latest iOS, to boot.

It's a perfect machine for those who can't let go.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #16435 07/07/11 02:54 PM

This morning I received a caution from Intuit concerning Quicken for Mac (2005, 2006, 2007) and they provided this link .

ryck

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
freelance #16466 07/10/11 11:57 PM

Or refrain from going with the Lion...

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN
joemikeb #16467 07/11/11 12:04 AM

This is indeed the best way to learn, which app is Intel, Universal or PPC. The good old Get info may be misleading or not tell you the right thing. One of my stat programs, InStat, that I have been using for years and which was updated in 2009 (shame on GraphPad!) is shown as "Application" in the get info (go figure...). However, System Profiler correctly lists it as a PPC app.
Off. Two points. First, for users of Rosetta, I would recommend to take a hard look at Lion and decide whether they need it at all (I don't quite get what it does better than SL), unless they need a new computer that will have it by default.
Second, what was the great reason beside generic "move on" behind killing Rosetta??? This small app does not hurt anything...
I hope some third party emulator emerges to replace the venerable Rosetta.

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN
macnerd10 #16469 07/11/11 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: macnerd10
Second, what was the great reason beside generic "move on" behind killing Rosetta??? This small app does not hurt anything...
I hope some third party emulator emerges to replace the venerable Rosetta.

Obsolete a bunch of apps and utils to generate Mac App Store sales?

I, too, would like to see a replacement for Rosetta (which apparently can't be installed in Lion).

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
macnerd10 #16472 07/11/11 12:14 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: macnerd10
what was the great reason beside generic "move on" behind killing Rosetta??? This small app does not hurt anything...

The reason is simple, it is the ongoing cost of maintaining the Rosetta and by implication the apps that it supports. Apple has always developed their software and hardware using a seven year "sliding window" model with new technologies coming on at the front and older, obsolete technologies dropping off the back. This is one of the reasons Apple can turn a new OS release in 18 months while it takes Microsoft five years or more. It is also part of the reason Apple can sell Lion for $29 for what is essentially a "family pack".

Whether you upgrade or not is, of course, your choice, but using Rosetta as an excuse seems questionable logic. I have serious doubts about any application that is still PPC. The developer's dedication to the product has to be highly suspect, or non existent, and the attendant risk of using an apparently unsupported app seems to me significant.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #16688 07/25/11 09:03 PM

Take my Hemera clipart collection for instance, cost a considerable amount of money for lots of images. Nothing wrong with it and I still use it. It does need Hemera's Image Browser though and yes, that's PPC. Hemera has gone bust, so no Intel there. Apple wants me to just chuck it in the bin. I don't think so.

I already installed said browser in Win 7 on Parallels and it works fine. Problem solved, well, sort off. The thing is, I'm more and more thinking about indeed chucking it in. All my Macs I mean and switch the other way around. No compatibility issues there.

Sounds bitter perhaps and I still love Macs, however my love for Apple has long turned to quite the opposite.

Hermie #16691 07/25/11 09:40 PM

you just need to browse folders of images? doesn't sound too daunting. Maybe load it into iphoto or something.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #16703 07/26/11 03:27 PM

Yes, if it were that easy I could browse the catalogs in GraphicConverter. However, one needs the Hemera browser for knowing on what physical media the image is located and to export it in the desired format. It's made for that and the whole shebang is unusable on Mac without Rosetta.

Hermie #16704 07/26/11 05:18 PM

Open Package Contents and move all the pics somewhere else?

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
joemikeb #16716 07/27/11 01:12 PM

I wrote this to Steve Jobs and await a reply: "I am TICKED!

I have been a loyal Apple supporter/user/shareholder since the beginning. I still have a working Mac SE/30 to run a piece of indispensable software that requires the former. I upgrade regularly and buy new Mac often - currently a 21.5" iMac 8 GB 1 TB HD with 3.6 GHz i5 CPu and 15" Mac book Pro with 500 GB HD and also 2TB Time Capsule. Still working are a G4 iBook and G4 Desktop.

I cannot LIVE without Quicken 2007. I have put up with Intuit's windoze preference, since current features are adequate. Quicken Essentials is a CROCK! and iBank is still a work in progress when it comes to reporting. I have finances in multiple countries and a complex tax return. I HATE WINDOZE and will NEVER RUN it on my Mac - I ran a large DOS network for many years ("a departmental "cloud"). I know Windoze shortcomings well and it is JUST NOT COOL! And I was in computing 30 years before Apple was born!

Since you are killing Rosetta with OS X Lion and thus Quicken 2007, I WILL NOT upgrade and will delay buying my usual new Macs for some years - both our loss. Shame! As a shareholder I would expect you to treat your users better. "

David PR Bailin #16733 07/28/11 01:29 PM

Hope you sent an email to Intuit, because they're the one's who are the problem after not upgrading Quicken for 5 years.

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard