for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Two Wish Applications
#16444 07/08/11 02:14 PM
OP Offline

While in System Profiler, I noted that I have 2 copies of something called "wish" (below). I know not what they are, how they got installed, etc. And thus I am even more curious about the need of two copies.

Is it safe to delete the older version?

Wish:
Version: 8.5.7
Last Modified: 7/22/09 10:45 PM
Kind: Intel
64-Bit (Intel): Yes
Get Info String: Wish Shell 8.5.7,
Copyright © 1989-2009 Tcl Core Team,
Copyright © 2002-2009 Daniel A. Steffen,
Copyright © 2001-2009 Apple Inc.,
Copyright © 2001-2002 Jim Ingham & Ian Reid
Location: /System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5/Resources/Wish.app

Wish:
Version: 8.4.19
Last Modified: 7/22/09 10:18 PM
Kind: Intel
64-Bit (Intel): No
Get Info String: Wish Shell 8.4.19,
Copyright © 2009 Tcl Core Team,
Copyright © 2002-2009 Daniel A. Steffen,
Initial MacOS X Port by Jim Ingham & Ian Reid,
Copyright © 2001-2002, Apple Computer, Inc.
Location: /System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.4/Resources/Wish.app

Last edited by cyn; 07/09/11 03:11 PM. Reason: Topic moved from the Lounge to Mac OS X Applications.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Two Wish Applications
Pendragon #16445 07/08/11 02:28 PM

Jay

I-Mac 2.4ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 3gb/500 O.S..10.6.8
Jay-bird #16446 07/08/11 02:43 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Jay-bird

Alas, I am now I'm even more confused. The link indicates that Wish is a .exe for Windows. And, my versions are, in part, copyright by Apple. For me, the .exe and Windows issues beg even more questions. confused

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #16448 07/08/11 03:09 PM

This Apple discussion covers the subject pretty well.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #16450 07/08/11 03:23 PM

Is there an English version of that link? confused blush

One of the people says "....perform a Spotlight search, Show All, and there it is" but that's not the case on my machine. Spotlight doesn't seem to know where it is, although Profiler knows of its existence in the two versions Pendragon mentioned.

I had already done a Spotlight search, hoping to find it and use "Get Info", but nada.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 07/08/11 03:25 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #16452 07/08/11 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
One of the people says "....perform a Spotlight search, Show All, and there it is" but that's not the case on my machine. Spotlight doesn't seem to know where it is, although Profiler knows of its existence in the two versions Pendragon mentioned.

I had already done a Spotlight search, hoping to find it and use "Get Info", but nada.

ryck

As ganbustein explained in another thread, Spotlight/Finder won't show System files unless they are specifically included as search parameter. By default they are not, which is probably why you got 'nada' too. I suspect that 'clintbradford' in the Apple discussions thread you refer to had forgotten that he had changed Spotlight's default setting when he suggested the Spotlight search.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #16455 07/08/11 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut

As ganbustein explained in another thread, Spotlight/Finder won't show System files unless they are specifically included as search parameter.

I can't say I didn't miss that....I did....however, it even re-reading hasn't shed any more light for me. I read down the page a bit and found this.

Originally Posted By: ganbustein
Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Did you already know those to be System files (and if so, how?), or did you hypothesize that that was the case (and if so, whence came your intuition?)?

I was almost certain they were. Preference files are considered "system files", and these are essentially preference files even if not in ~/Library/Preferences.

A "system file" appears to be anything that a user would not normally open. Thus, a "system file" is pretty much anything that is neither a document, an application, nor a folder.

Good point. When searching for Wish I wouldn't automatically assume it was a system file, or automatically anything else for that matter. So, I went back to the System Profiler and saw that it finds Wish under the heading "Applications", which suggests Spotlight should have found it. Confusion creeps in.

Not to worry. I'll just enter the suggested Spotlight search parameters (he said to himself hopefully) but could not figure out how - unless I'm missing something obvious.

Anyway, back to Pendragon's original question "Is it safe to delete the older version", I'm assuming that it's okay to delete the non-Intel version on an Intel machine.

Now, if I could just find it.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 07/08/11 07:55 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #16457 07/08/11 10:59 PM

Here's how to find Wish Shell via Spotlight (note that these steps are for a Mac running OS X 10.5.8, so if the default folder selection issue I mention has been changed in Snow Leopard, that step will be able to be skipped):

Navigate, in Finder, to your boot volume's /System folder. In the Finder window toolbar, type wish into the search box.

Just below the toolbar, you'll see something like this:

Code:
Search:    This Mac  "System"  |  Contents  File Name		Save  +

By default, This Mac will be highlighted, meaning that Spotlight will search your entire Mac, subject to the normal limitation that System files are not included (assuming you haven't taken steps to ensure that they're always included in such Mac-wide searches).

Click "System" instead, to change the location of the search to /System. (At this point, my search yields 157 results, almost entirely C Header Source Files.) To isolate the application result(s), click on the Kind column heading and scroll up or down as needed until you reach Application in the list of results. Or, more formally, click the plus sign at the far right of the bar below the toolbar; this adds another search criterion, which by default is Kind is Any. Click Any and select Application from the pop-up menu. (In my case, this yields a single result: Wish Shell.app.)

Revised approach: In this particular case, it turns out that only a smattering of the results include wish in the name, so it would've been just as quick to click on File Name to change the initial search criterion from Contents as it was to filter by Kind.

To replicate this revised search in Terminal, paste the following command:

mdfind -onlyin /System "kMDItemDisplayName == *Wish*"

If you get accustomed to it, mdfind is a far quicker and more easily customizable interface to the Spotlight engine. The downside, of course, is that the results aren't clickable, so when you need to inspect individual files to see which result is the one you're looking for, it's much more cumbersome than using a regular Spotlight search results window.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #16459 07/09/11 03:16 AM

We have lift-off. However, I get many fewer results than you.

Navigate, in Finder, to your boot volume's /System folder. In the Finder window toolbar, type wish into the search box.

Click "System" instead, to change the location of the search to /System. (At this point, my search yields 157 results, almost entirely C Header Source Files.)

For me, that search method got these:

jawt.h Plain Text
wish.htm HTML Document
Wish Application
Wish Application

The two Wish Applications had quite different icons. One was a blue feather and the other was a blue feather on a red background with the letters tcltk. Get Info said the blue feather was 8.5.7 and the blue feather/red background was 8.4.19

To replicate this revised search in Terminal, paste the following command:

mdfind -onlyin /System "kMDItemDisplayName == *Wish*"

This search generated:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.4/Resources/Wish.app
/System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5/Resources/Wish.app

Thanks for taking the time to lay out these sets of instructions. It's been most interesting and educational.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 07/09/11 03:24 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #16461 07/09/11 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
It's been most interesting and educational.

ryck

Except, of course, for the answer to your original question: can the 'older' version of wish.app be deleted? I confess I don't know the answer, but I wouldn't be so quick to say 'yes', as Snow Leopard's 8.4.19 version doesn't appear to be identical to the one present in Leopard (v. 8.4). That difference suggests a possible utility of the 32-bit version in Snowy. Perhaps someone else can chime in with more pertinent information.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #16464 07/10/11 03:33 AM

Wish v 8.4.19 is 32 bit and v 8.5.7 is 64 bit (but it gets kinda lost with Wish being all the way down at the bottom of System Profiler's Apps list and the "64-Bit Intel" column heading being all the way up at the top).

Edit: I just noticed that the 32/64 bit thing is disclosed in Harv's original post, but the "64-bit (Intel): Yes/No" presentation neatly fools the eye.

Last edited by artie505; 07/10/11 04:02 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard