Can't Install 10.6.8
#16333 06/27/11 11:39 PM
OP Offline

My grief continues on my wife's 24" white iMac, 2006 vintage

Safari crashes every 30-45 minutes.
SystemUIServer crashes, once, twice daily
System Preferences crashes, once, twice daily
Airport Base Station crashes, once, twice daily

I tried to install both the Combo and Incremental 10.6.8 updater but that does not work. Even in Safe Boot mode, I am told that the checksum could not be validated (or some such wording). I twice (re)downloaded the updater in case my copy was corrupt, but still no joy.

I also tried installing 10.6.8 from a different volume and again, same problem.

When I try the incremental update via Software Update, the install gets about 95% completed when I am advised that a problem was encountered, installation terminated, and to contact the developer.

DiskWarrior indicates no uncorrectable directory errors.
Repairing permissions was to no avail.

I have never been unable to update my OS.

It seems as though my OS is so hosed that I cannot even update it. Can that be?

Now what?

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Can't Install 10.6.8
Pendragon #16334 06/28/11 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
I am told that the checksum could not be validated (or some such wording).

Almost certainly bad RAM. Around 50% of the time I discover bad ram it's due to an installer failing to run due to checksum error. Though in most cases for me, it's when trying to do a base install off install media. (which in the past drove me to check the installer logs looking for the package verify error, vs the other option, io error indicating bad media, but I install off HDDs now so there's no reason to check to see which of the two is at fault)

Run your hardware test disc.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Pendragon #16335 06/28/11 03:32 AM

I tried to install both the Combo and Incremental 10.6.8 updater but that does not work. Even in Safe Boot mode, I am told that the checksum could not be validated (or some such wording). I twice (re)downloaded the updater in case my copy was corrupt, but still no joy.

Strictly regarding the validity of the combo download (as suggested here), the "sha1 digest" value is unique. To calculate it, we run this (blue) terminal command on the downloaded dmg file:

openssl sha1 /path/to/MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8.dmg
SHA1(/path/to/MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8.dmg)= 7e22a53b62bf16f44fbba4042606af91888335cf

We can get the proper "/path/to/" part via drag/drop or copy/paste.

If you get 7e22a53b62bf16f44fbba4042606af91888335cf then the download is fine. Any other value and it's borked.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 06/28/11 03:42 AM.
Hal Itosis #16339 06/28/11 11:25 AM
OP Offline

For the fourth time, I (again) downloaded 10.6.8 Combo and this time, it worked as designed. But I haven’t a clue re why I enjoyed success this time and failed so miserably before. Can it be divine retribution for my past (and present) misdeeds? Nah.

Though a bit premature, it now looks like the myriad of crashes I was having with Safari & 10.6.7 are now put to rest. We’ll see in a few days…

But before celebrating, my thanks to all of you who have held my hand and provided a bit training. Truly, ‘Twas most comforting in my hour(s) of need.

Hal, I could not get the SHA1 Terminal command to work. When I tried, nothing happened. Clearly operator error, but (when you have too much spare time) please provide more detailed instructions. Perhaps after your holiday-

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #16340 06/28/11 01:37 PM

Perhaps these additional details will help, Harv.....

Open a Finder window to show the file you wish to check....in this specific case that would most likely be your Downloads folder in order to show the MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8.dmg file.

Now open Terminal and copy/paste Hal's command -- openssl sha1 -- then add a space behind that command

Lastly, drag the file (you wish to check with that Terminal command) from the Finder window which you setup in advance into the Terminal window......Terminal will automagically write the path to that file immediately following the space behind the command.

Now all you have to do is hit Return and watch for the output of the command to appear on the line below where you input it.

As Hal sez, the result should be 7e22a53b62bf16f44fbba4042606af91888335cf if you checked the .dmg file that contains the MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8.pkg....

if you do this process like I did the first try, and actually mount the disk image in order to run the command on the MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8.pkg file contained therein, your checksum result should be 602121cc80e95c6928ade823b87c6264d40dd21c..........

Your mileage shouldn't vary.....

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
Pendragon #16341 06/28/11 02:12 PM

Hal, I could not get the SHA1 Terminal command to work. When I tried, nothing happened. Clearly operator error, but (when you have too much spare time) please provide more detailed instructions.

If you got no error message immediately, then it was working. All you needed to do was wait. Did you panic and quit terminal prematurely perhaps? (it takes time for a 1 gig file... about 15-20 seconds on my speedy MBP). Or did the $ prompt come back with no text at all... error or otherwise? (unlikely in this case, though many other commands do succeed silently).

If you still have one of those former downloads, you can try again (but it seems unnecessary now i suppose).

PS: in general, along with any "it didn't work" issues in terminal, also enclose a copy of the actual session text (including the command part entered by the user).

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 06/28/11 02:27 PM.
Hal Itosis #16344 06/28/11 05:22 PM
OP Offline

Finally this Grasshopper catches on...

Ah, 'twas the leave a space at end of "sha1" (or rather, the absence thereof) that done me in. Now, back to string theory, or something easy.

And all is once again sweetness and light in the 'Dragon realm (thanks to you guys).

Harv

Pendragon #16345 06/28/11 07:50 PM

Harv, Things may not be well in the realm of the dragon. Even though you finally got a good download, you still have not isolated the reason for the three bad downloads, and I am curious about what that may be. The Airport Base Station When you say

Am I correct in assuming that is an external Airport Base Station, or are you using your Mac to originate a wireless network? confused

If it is the former bad RAM in your Mac cannot cause the Airport Base Station to crash so the bad downloads would more likely be the result of a problem in...
  1. Your internet connection
  2. Your DLS/Cable/Satellite modem
  3. A bad ethernet cable between the modem and Airport Base Station
  4. A failing airport base station
  5. Flakey or noisy power going to your modem and/or Airpoort Base Station
In either case, it is a problem that needs to be identified and solved or it will inevitably bite you again.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #16346 06/28/11 10:00 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Harv, Things may not be well in the realm of the dragon. Even though you finally got a good download, you still have not isolated the reason for the three bad downloads, and I am curious about what that may be. The Airport Base Station When you say

Am I correct in assuming that is an external Airport Base Station, or are you using your Mac to originate a wireless network? confused

If it is the former bad RAM in your Mac cannot cause the Airport Base Station to crash so the bad downloads would more likely be the result of a problem in...
  1. Your internet connection
  2. Your DLS/Cable/Satellite modem
  3. A bad ethernet cable between the modem and Airport Base Station
  4. A failing airport base station
  5. Flakey or noisy power going to your modem and/or Airpoort Base Station
In either case, it is a problem that needs to be identified and solved or it will inevitably bite you again.

Indeed I do use an external WiFi base station (Airport Extreme), so that may well be suspect, including the cable and the cable modem.

Power seems stable, though I could still have spikes, etc. and not know it, but because my entire system is through an UPS, this is not (yet) at the top of my suspect list.

So for now, I'll start with the easy fix, e.g., replacing the modem> AirPort Ethernet cable.

Is there a way to ascertain the health of the base station? If it were failing, how would I distinguish between a HW and a SW problem?

Harv

Pendragon #16347 06/28/11 11:13 PM

> Is there a way to ascertain the health of the base station? If it were failing, how would I distinguish between a HW and a SW problem?

For what it's worth, and I can't cite any references, I've been told by Apple tech support @ AppleCare that base stations suffer sudden catastrophic failure.

Edit: It may pay you to check out Resetting an AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule FAQ.

Last edited by artie505; 06/28/11 11:16 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #16348 06/29/11 01:23 AM

Even if you finally got it to run, I still suggest running your apple hardware test on your ram

Pendragon #16353 06/29/11 03:14 PM

Quote:
Is there a way to ascertain the health of the base station? If it were failing, how would I distinguish between a HW and a SW problem?

Technically there is no software per se in the base station, but there is firmware that can be updated through Airport Utility and there was a recent update to Airport Utility available through Software Update. The Current Version of Airport Utility is 5.5.3. What the current firmware version is for your base station depends on the specific bas station you have, but for Time Capsule, and Airport Express base stations capable of 802.11n it is 7.5.2, older Airport Express 802.11g base stations are 6.3. I have encountered flakey base stations that were "fixed" by resetting them to factory default using the external "reset" button and then going through the setup routine again, but I hasve also encountered Base Stations that cuold not be fixed and had to be discarded.

Unfortunately the only way I know of to determine if the problem is in your ethernet cable, your modem, or your base station is to swap them out — one at a time.

Again wireless interference could cause downlaod problems, but would not cause your Airport Base Station to crash, but you can check for WiFi interferfence with a software utility such as WiFi Analyzer (free), Wifi Scanner ($0.99), or AiRadar ($19.99) from the App Store. As is often true the usefulness of these is proportional to their cost.

By-the-way I agree with V1's recommendation to test the RAM. It can't hurt and all it takes is time.

— Albert Einstein
Virtual1 #16354 06/29/11 03:17 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Even if you finally got it to run, I still suggest running your apple hardware test on your ram

Even though not my idea, seems like good counsel. So indeed I did run the HW test. I then ran the TTP Memory test. Both indicated no problems.

Do you think it wise to run either/both the expanded HW test and the full suite of TTP tests?

P.S. I did run the full TTP test suite and passed everything without error.

Last edited by Pendragon; 06/30/11 11:36 AM. Reason: Added postscript

Harv

Pendragon #16391 07/06/11 04:36 AM

> Do you think it wise to run either/both the expanded HW test and the full suite of TTP tests?

I know not of TTP, Harv, but if you only ran AHT once, and not extended, you ought to run the extended test in "loop mode." (It's control-L, I believe, and you probably ought to give it at least an overnight.)

And I second joemike's "reset" suggestion; it has bailed me out several times.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #16405 07/06/11 02:27 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
> Do you think it wise to run either/both the expanded HW test and the full suite of TTP tests?

I know not of TTP, Harv, but if you only ran AHT once, and not extended, you ought to run the extended test in "loop mode." (It's control-L, I believe, and you probably ought to give it at least an overnight.)

And I second joemike's "reset" suggestion; it has bailed me out several times.

I'll run the AHT extended test, likely in a few days, as my schedule is presently quite full. As I have not done that before, it should be quite the learning experience.

Re resetting my Airport Extreme, I have not done that either. Will I need to renter my settings, passwords, preferences, etc., or will it be merely as if I powered down (that I have done)?

Harv

Pendragon #16406 07/06/11 02:36 PM

Running the full TTP suite a second time is probably a waste of time since the memory test is only one cycle and the majority of the time is spent in the surface scan. As far as I know there is no benefit to multiple surface scans and they are very time consuming.

Memory (RAM) tests on the other hand often require several passes to detect latent errors. Whether you use AHT or TTP to run the memory test is IMO immaterial. The AHT test is limited by the number of passes (five is a recommended minimum) and TTP by time (I would allow time for at least five full sets).

— Albert Einstein
Pendragon #16408 07/06/11 04:04 PM

> Re resetting my Airport Extreme, I have not done that either. Will I need to renter my settings, passwords, preferences, etc., or will it be merely as if I powered down (that I have done)?

When I've reset my AirPort Express Base Station I've had to re-enter all of my settings, as if the BS was brand new, so I guess resetting your Extreme will require the same re-entry.

artie505 #16415 07/06/11 09:38 PM

You will have to reenter everything in the Airport Base Station. It will be just like you received it from the Apple factory.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #16432 07/07/11 12:25 PM

Running the full TTP suite a second time is probably a waste of time since the memory test is only one cycle and the majority of the time is spent in the surface scan. As far as I know there is no benefit to multiple surface scans and they are very time consuming.

Yep. Although there can be a window of time where a block sometimes reads bad and sometimes not, it's a very small window, as in a matter of a few days. In almost all cases, a single complete surface scan is conclusive.

Memory (RAM) tests on the other hand often require several passes to detect latent errors. Whether you use AHT or TTP to run the memory test is IMO immaterial. The AHT test is limited by the number of passes (five is a recommended minimum) and TTP by time (I would allow time for at least five full sets).

I've seen this one all over the board. When identifying bad ram, in around 85% of cases, every memory test will fail. Most of the rest fail within 5 loops. Only very rarely will ram require more loops to identify a problem. I run them overnight just to be sure though. If you have a lot of ram, you can get in as few as 15-20 complete loops in 8 hrs though.

Virtual1 #16456 07/08/11 10:00 PM
OP Offline

Well, I finally finished my chores. I ran a 5 loop memory test, no problems, and reset my Airport Extreme (after taking a screenshot of all settings) and while I can't say that anything is improved since I successfully ran the 10.6.8 combo updater, I at least know what (if anything) is not wrong. AFAIK, the combo updater cured all ills. Since then, things are better that ever, perhaps even (more better) than when the machine was new.

As far as I can tell, the only change was that I learned a few things thanks to your gracious gift of time and expertise. Always, 'tis greatly appreciated.

Harv

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard