Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Icon view, some showing thumb, some not
tacit #16255 06/23/11 03:26 AM

[see what i mean?]

kevs #16256 06/23/11 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Tacit,
you lost me because the whole point of DNG is to get rid of the sidecar file!

I use Adobe DNG converter to convert from CR2 to DNG.

OK, then; let's experiment: In the same folder of files that's pictured in your uploaded image, change the name of a file that is now showing a preview, and tell us whether the preview remains intact or disappears. It apparently makes no difference how you change the name, but for consistency, make the same change you made to the non-high-res image files. (Make a command-D copy of the file before you play with it, so you don't risk losing your preview.)

Your results will lock directly into tacit's hypothesis.

Edit: As per Hal's comment, command-D risks losing you preview; instead of doing that, option-dragging a file to, say, your desktop will create a dupe without a name-change.

Last edited by artie505; 06/23/11 05:13 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #16257 06/23/11 04:59 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505

It may not be that simple. If for some reason those low-res saves lack the same implanted metadata, the two types may react differently to manual renaming. [also, it would be a whole lot simpler if questions were answered and information was not withheld... but, the game is afoot. Proceed at will.]

(Make a command-D copy of the file before you play with it, so you don't risk losing your preview.)

That in itself is akin to renaming (as the word 'copy' gets appended). Perhaps option-drag to another location would be more consistent with the spirit of your experiment? [so that the file isn't renamed.]

Hal Itosis #16258 06/23/11 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis

It may not be that simple. If for some reason those low-res saves lack the same implanted metadata, the two types may react differently to manual renaming. [also, it would be a whole lot simpler if questions were answered and information was not withheld... but, the game is afoot. Proceed at will.]

Yep, and double triple-yep! But let's not get side-tracked by possibilities or impossibilities until the former manifest themselves and the latter cease to do so (as unlikely as that may be).

(Make a command-D copy of the file before you play with it, so you don't risk losing your preview.)

That in itself is akin to renaming (as the word 'copy' gets appended). Perhaps option-drag to another location would be more consistent with the spirit of your experiment? [so that the file isn't renamed.]

Excellent point; thanks! It actually brushed against the edge of my consciousness but stopped short of registering. frown

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #16259 06/23/11 05:21 AM

But let's not get side-tracked by

Right.
smile
At times (well, since post #1 really) it seems this hasn't been a thread about “solving a problem.” More like: how long is it possible to defer a solution.
smile
E.g.,
Quote:

That sentence would have been gorgeous in post #1.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 06/23/11 05:26 AM.
Hal Itosis #16260 06/23/11 05:41 AM

But let's not get side-tracked by

Right.
smile
At times (well, since post #1 really) it seems this hasn't been a thread about “solving a problem.” More like: how long is it possible to defer a solution.
smile
E.g.,
Quote:

That sentence would have been gorgeous in post #1.

I'd love to respond to that with a bit of reality, but... frown mad

artie505 #16264 06/23/11 05:19 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Good idea, I just added text to the good files, yet the previews remain so far.

kevs #16267 06/23/11 08:07 PM

How can you happily continue to post while not addressing the question asked in these two posts:

(ignoring them merely proves my point, which i will happily coninue to make). In case it still hasn't "occurred" to you, knowing the state of the icons before you "added text" would be a useful piece of information. [fwiw, learning that you renamed those items shouldn't have taken all this effort on our part either. You can VOLUNTEER information as well.]

ganbustein #16268 06/24/11 04:55 AM

Quote:
For example, killall bash would be frightening, if bash didn't already trap SIGTERM. (You test that at your own risk. I'm afraid to.)

Code:
Last login: Fri Jun 24 01:51:05 on console
Artie-s-Computer-4:~ artie$ killall bash
No matching processes belonging to you were found
Artie-s-Computer-4:~ artie$ sudo killall bash
Password:
No matching processes were found
Artie-s-Computer-4:~ artie$ 

Hal Itosis #16271 06/24/11 02:37 PM

This is attached to Hal's post for convenience only but it is intended for the benefit of all.

Rather than criticizing someone for unresponsiveness, it seems to me the better response would be to reply in kind and not respond to their questions. Over the years I have found unresponsiveness is far more likely to elicit the desire behavior than criticism. frown

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #16291 06/24/11 11:04 PM

No matter how many times Charlie Brown comes running up to kick the ball, Lucy always pulls it away. You'd think Charlie Brown would simply stop trying to make the kick, wouldn't you?

Hal, artie, and kevs: enough.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
kevs #16302 06/25/11 06:21 AM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Good idea, I just added text to the good files, yet the previews remain so far.

OK, then, kevs... Because it's got to be even more unsatisfying to you to see your threads languish than it is to me, I'm going to take one last shot at this and ask you to please explain, in detail, your aversion to going into Terminal, where the answers to many of your issues may lie?

Terminal is quite benign unless you "sic" it on something, and the commands that Hal has posted are no more than information gatherers that won't change anything on your Mac and just may yield insights into, if not answers to, your issues. (Rest assured that if a command is going to change something you'll be fully forewarned.)

Heck, kevs, you ran Terminal, albeit indirectly, when you cleared your caches with TinkerTool System, and you did so with absolutely no guarantee that Marcel Bresink got his commands straight, nor is there any guarantee that your having run his commands didn't clear some cache that you'll ultimately regret having cleared. (By way of example, there's one maintenance utility that I've called out four times already for either clearing the wrong cache or clearing one that shouldn't ought to be cleared.) Edit: On the other hand, though, when Hal gives you a command to run you know precisely what it's going to do.

If you begin copying and pasting commands posted by Hal, ganbustein, V1, et al and following their accompanying instructions you may be pleasantly surprised by both how many of your issues get resolved and how quickly they get resolved.

Remember that Hal and I, in particular, have got substantial time and effort invested in many of your threads (including at least four that I've [Edit: directly or indirectly] brought to conclusion) and want to see results almost as badly as, sometimes, I think, worse than, you do.

Last edited by artie505; 06/25/11 10:25 AM.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard