FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Creating a hyperlink
#16159 06/19/11 08:20 PM
OP Offline

Hi:

I want to add a hyperlink to a website (like here). When I try to do it, it comes with info I don't want on it like this:

Rita/Users/ritamontague/Desktop/Needlework/Patterns/Crochet/Baby Stuff/Onsie.rtfd

I just want a shortcut word, not where it came from. You guys do it on the forum here. I would like to know how it's done.

Thanks so much.

Rita

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Creating a hyperlink
plantsower #16162 06/19/11 10:44 PM

The hyperlink you are showing here will not work on any Web site, because it is linked to your computer, and your computer can't be accessed from here.

The first thing you need to do is take the file that is on your computer and upload it to a Web server somewhere. Do you have any Web server space anywhere?

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
plantsower #16163 06/19/11 10:54 PM

Hi, Rita,

At FTM.com it's done with a (for lack of a better word) "preset;" click on the icon next to the smiley to see for yourself.

Since UBB.threads has gone thorough two variations of link creation (of which I'm aware), I suppose it's conceivable that there are any number of them, so I suggest that you post the format for the Web site with which you're dealing so we can see it for ourselves.

The example you posted shows the UNIX path to a document, though, and that confuses me... A link is generally to a Web site, not to a doc on your own Mac, or are you running your own server, sharing on a local network, or some-such?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #16167 06/20/11 12:51 AM

artie is referring to the "link" icon, second from the left in the row of icons immediately above the text-entry box on a New Reply page or a New Post page.

Once you've solved the problem tacit identified—that of uploading a file you want to link to—you can copy the URL (web address) of that page, then paste it into the first dialog box that pops up when you click the "link" icon. Click Okay, then type the shortcut word into the second dialog box, click Okay, and you're done.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
plantsower #16168 06/20/11 12:59 AM

I didn't get into this - Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire - in depth, Rita, but it looks like it may be your answer.

Quote:
We are still the only file sharing site to offer unlimited downloads, unlimited uploads, unlimited storage, download resuming, zero wait times, and more, all for free. (About MediaFire > About Us)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
tacit #16171 06/20/11 01:29 AM
OP Offline

Nope, I don't. What about converting it to a pdf file. Can I upload that?

Rita

Originally Posted By: tacit
The hyperlink you are showing here will not work on any Web site, because it is linked to your computer, and your computer can't be accessed from here.

The first thing you need to do is take the file that is on your computer and upload it to a Web server somewhere. Do you have any Web server space anywhere?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #16172 06/20/11 01:31 AM
OP Offline

It's my own document that I wanted to share. The website has a reply window just like this. So, I thought I could get the info from you guys. It's the same.
Would a pdf of my document work or would I still have to upload it to a server?

Rita

Originally Posted By: artie505
Hi, Rita,

At FTM.com it's done with a (for lack of a better word) "preset;" click on the icon next to the smiley to see for yourself.

Since UBB.threads has gone thorough two variations of link creation (of which I'm aware), I suppose it's conceivable that there are any number of them, so I suggest that you post the format for the Web site with which you're dealing so we can see it for ourselves.

The example you posted shows the UNIX path to a document, though, and that confuses me... A link is generally to a Web site, not to a doc on your own Mac, or are you running your own server, sharing on a local network, or some-such?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

dkmarsh #16173 06/20/11 01:33 AM
OP Offline

Thank you. Since it's my own document, I ended up just uploading the file as an attachment. That doesn't look like an option here unless I missed it.

Rita

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

artie is referring to the "link" icon, second from the left in the row of icons immediately above the text-entry box on a New Reply page or a New Post page.

Once you've solved the problem tacit identified—that of uploading a file you want to link to—you can copy the URL (web address) of that page, then paste it into the first dialog box that pops up when you click the "link" icon. Click Okay, then type the shortcut word into the second dialog box, click Okay, and you're done.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #16174 06/20/11 01:35 AM
OP Offline

Thanks, Artie. Once again, something I thought would be simple just isn't. Not to me. As mentioned earlier, I just uploaded my document and attached it. Some forums have that capability.

Rita

I din't get into this - Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire - in depth, Rita, but it looks like it may be your answer.

Quote:
We are still the only file sharing site to offer unlimited downloads, unlimited uploads, unlimited storage, download resuming, zero wait times, and more, all for free. (About MediaFire > About Us)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #16179 06/20/11 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
Thanks, Artie. Once again, something I thought would be simple just isn't. Not to me. As mentioned earlier, I just uploaded my document and attached it. Some forums have that capability.

Rita

Simple enough! smile

Nope, though; you can't do the same here, and your doc's being a PDF wouldn't change anything.

artie505 #16180 06/20/11 04:19 AM
OP Offline

Thanks, Artie. Darn about the pdf. mad

Rita

Originally Posted By: plantsower

Rita

Simple enough! smile

Nope, though; you can't do the same here, and your doc's being a PDF wouldn't change anything.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard