FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dvd project using both pictures and video clips
#15797 05/30/11 06:04 AM
blschue Offline OP
OP Offline

I am making a dvd consisting of photos and video clips. What is the aspect ratio for photos so the entire photo is shown? My process is using Photoshop Elements where I changed the photo size so it was never larger than 6 in. width or 4.5 in depth and that included any captions I added to the photos. From there I imported the photos to iphoto and when I use these photos in iMovie I do not get the entire picture. I do not want to create slideshows in iPhoto because I am using audio clips and I want to control the audio and pictures played so they end at the same time. And I also put video clips between sets of photos. When I look at the photos in iPhoto as a slideshow the photos are fine until I click "scale photos to fill screen" and then they are the same as I see them in iMovie. I have spent hours doing this project and I feel that I am back to square 1 because the photos are not what I want. I am using iPhoto 9 version 8.1.2 and iMovie HD version 6.0.3. I am using the older version because I want to use the timeline.
After all that explanation, my question is...... what size should the photos be so they are not clipped in viewing?
Thanks for help on this.

Barb Phillips
15" MacBook Pro OS BigSur 11.7.10
Re: Dvd project using both pictures and video clips
blschue #15799 05/30/11 03:01 PM

Try 4:3.

I can't guarantee perfection since I have notice "adjustments" made moving between different media and different applications.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
blschue #15806 05/30/11 09:51 PM

There is no reason to downsize your photos before importing them into iMovie, you're just reducing the image quality unnecessarily.

By default, the iLife apps scale photos to fit the frame. Look at the "Photo Settings" palette that appears for a selected photo when you have the "Media" button selected. Make sure the "Ken Burns" checkbox is not checked. The top slider adjusts the photo size within the frame; make sure it is slid all the way to the left (the box to the right of the slider should read "1.00") and your photo should be all within the frame. If you adjust the slider before you import your photos, all the photos you import should conform to those settings.

Most photos are not exactly the same size as the video frame so there may be narrow black bars on either side of the picture. If you don't want those to appear, you will either have to slightly increase the size of the photo using the above mentioned slider, which means cropping them slightly top and bottom, or you can adjust the aspect ratio in PE, but be aware that distorts the image a bit, making everything look stretched out side to side. If that doesn't bother you, that's fine.

Also, I suggest adding your photo captions as titles in iMovie, if you can find a style that suits you. I've found that when processing titles and transitions iMovie preserves better resolution in still photos.

MacBook Pro, 2.66 Ghz Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM, 500 GB HD, OSX 10.6.8
bob82xrp #15881 06/06/11 05:16 AM
blschue Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for the info on iMovie. I did use the slider and the pictures were much better. I ended up redoing the project.
Captioning my pictures is a work-in-progress. I have thousands of pictures and a lot of them are old pictures from my mom and I put names as many people as I can.

Barb Phillips
15" MacBook Pro OS BigSur 11.7.10

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard