for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Date and Time format in menu bar
jchuzi #15743 05/28/11 01:53 AM

Maybe just do a "Get Info" and look at the creation and modification dates of the folder and/or contents?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #15744 05/28/11 04:01 AM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

I, too, had to "authenticate" the application to move it to the trash.

Interestingly, I usually use the PERMANENT ERASER application to secure empty trash. It would not shred wCLOCK . . . so I used the Secure Empty Trash in the Finder drop down menu.

Since I like to tinker with applications because I WANT to - and not because I HAVE to - wCLOCK is history for me. grin

artie505 #15748 05/28/11 09:37 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Maybe just do a "Get Info" and look at the creation and modification dates of the folder and/or contents?
The folder was created May 15, 2011 and modified yesterday.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #15749 05/28/11 10:20 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
The folder was created May 15, 2011 and modified yesterday.

My best (and only) guess is that maybe something in your particular configuration necessitates that App Support folder, but, on the other hand, my experience has been that such stuff is created the first time you launch an app and sits empty until it's needed (although I can't swear that that's universal).

Under any circumstances, though, doesn't that creation date seem odd?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #15750 05/28/11 10:43 AM

Quote:
...maybe something in your particular configuration necessitates that App Support folder...

But it's not an Application Support folder; it's just a routine ~/Library/Caches folder. As for the creation date, perhaps that's a result of Jon's having deleted caches for maintenance purposes on May 14...

I don't suppose you restarted after having installed wClock and before having failed to find such a cache folder? Maybe the cache folder is only created upon first quitting the process, since until then there's nothing to cache.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #15751 05/28/11 11:07 AM

> But it's not an Application Support folder; it's just a routine ~/Library/Caches folder.

Boy, are you ever correct! I mentioned the possibility of an App Support folder earlier in the thread, spaced, and injected it into the present discussion of caches. blush

So I just d/l'ed wClock again, set a single pref, added it to my Login Items, restarted, and still do not have a wClock cache.

> As for the creation date, perhaps that's a result of Jon's having deleted caches for maintenance purposes on May 14.

Now that I'm focused on caches... Yeah, that's a pretty good guess; after all, the 14th did fall on a day of the week. shocked (Sorry, Jon...couldn't resist. grin )

dkmarsh #15752 05/28/11 11:43 AM

Undoubtedly, you're right about my deleting caches on May 14.
Quote:
I don't suppose you restarted after having installed wClock and before having failed to find such a cache folder? Maybe the cache folder is only created upon first quitting the process, since until then there's nothing to cache.
I installed wClock several years ago and believe me, I have restarted once or twice since then. grin

Last edited by jchuzi; 05/28/11 11:44 AM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
artie505 #15753 05/28/11 05:08 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

... Have you visited the developer's Web site to see if there's a FAQ section?

http://www.wolfware.com/

NO longer exits. Hmmmm? That could be a sign why there are the glitches with wClock. shocked

MG2009 #15757 05/28/11 09:12 PM

Interestingly enough, you can still make a donation to the developer at this PayPal site.

Jon

jchuzi #15759 05/28/11 09:45 PM

If I follow your PayPal link, I get the "Sorry — your last action could not be completed" error...

alternaut moderator
MG2009 #15762 05/28/11 11:00 PM

Posted in the Mac OS X 10.0 - 10.5.x forum.

Originally Posted By: MG2009 - Post #15736

Any other applications out there that might WORK with the MBP (2011) using Snow Leopard?

I am confused.

In Mac OS X 10.6.7 - > System Preferences - > Date & Time - > Clock
with the following options checked:
  • Show date and time in menu bar
  • Show AM/PM
  • Show the day of the week
  • Show date

Sat May 28 7:00 PM appears on the right side of my menu bar.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
MG2009 #15763 05/28/11 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: MG2009
... Have you visited the developer's Web site to see if there's a FAQ section?

http://www.wolfware.com/

NO longer exits. Hmmmm? That could be a sign why there are the glitches with wClock. shocked

Truth be told, wClock is the most unintuitive app I've ever run across, so I'm in no way mystified by its disappearance.

What I do find odd, though, is that it can still be d/l'ed despite the fact that the developer's Web site seems to be gone.

MG2009 #15764 05/28/11 11:14 PM

> Any other applications out there that might WORK with the MBP (2011) using Snow Leopard?

I just noticed that... How'd we get from "Leopard 10.5 on an iMAC PPC G5" to Snow Leopard on an MBP?

alternaut #15765 05/28/11 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
If I follow your PayPal link, I get the "Sorry — your last action could not be completed" error...
I (just now) clicked on my posted link and got a message that my PayPal session had timed out. (Probably, a PayPal cookie accounts for the differences that we report.) I originally found the link by going to wClock Help; I found it there as a link to make a donation.

Jon

jchuzi #15766 05/29/11 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Originally Posted By: alternaut
I (just now) clicked on my posted link and got a message that my PayPal session had timed out. (Probably, a PayPal cookie accounts for the differences that we report.) I originally found the link by going to wClock Help; I found it there as a link to make a donation.

I just d/l'ed wClock again to take a look-see... It's odd that clicking on your link yields that error message while the link from wClock Help is still functional.

artie505 #15767 05/29/11 12:13 AM

I'm still curious about why Finder demands authentication before moving wClock to the trash; I don't remember ever having run into that sort of behavior from a 3rd party app before.

Anybody have any insights as to reason or methodology?

artie505 #15768 05/29/11 12:40 AM

artie505,
I'm still curious about why Finder demands authentication before moving wClock to the trash; I don't remember ever having run into that sort of behavior from a 3rd party app before.

I am concerned that you are posting in this thread to follow * your * curiosity rather than addressing the troubleshooting topics posted by MG2009 seeking help from FineTunedMac members in the areas of date and time format in menu bar using some version of Mac OS X.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
artie505 #15770 05/29/11 01:04 AM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

. . . because I have TWO computers.

One runs on 10.5 with a PPC and the other runs on 10.6 with MBP.

dianne #15771 05/29/11 01:14 AM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Although the TIME/DATE options can be found in System Preferences, as expected, the FULL format in the dialogue box shows the day of the week (e.g. Wednesday) in its FULL format; however, when I click OK to add the FULL format to the menu bar, it appears there in the abbreviated form (e.g. Wed).

My goal was to have the FULL format appear in the Menu Bar EXACTLY as it appears in the dialogue box in System Preferences.

P.S. I cannot get it to appear in my preferred way on either the iMAC-PPC (10.5) or the MBPro (10.6) computers - hence, the move to wClock and, failing that, MagiCal.

dianne #15772 05/29/11 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By: dianne
artie505,

I am concerned that you are posting in this thread to follow * your * curiosity rather than addressing the troubleshooting topics posted by MG2009 seeking help from FineTunedMac members in the areas of date and time format in menu bar using some version of Mac OS X.

Oh, get over it, dianne; "the troubleshooting topics posted by MG2009 seeking help from FineTunedMac members in the areas of date and time format in menu bar using some version of Mac OS X" ceased to be an issue when MG2009 reported

Quote:
Mystery solved.

in post #15615! Since then, this thread has dealt, pretty much exclusively, with wClock.

Second... Under any circumstances, I've already addressed "the troubleshooting topics [...]" by linking to MagiCal, which MG2009 has d/l'ed and is, so far, happy with.

Third... The "troubleshooting topics [...]" having been resolved to MG2009's apparent satisfaction, I find your concern with my exploring, in this thread, one of the three wClock issues that arose in this thread, two of which have already been explored in this thread, annoying. (Although I can't link to the post, I note that dkmarsh has already pronounced this very type of exploration after an initial problem has been solved to be acceptable.)

And, finally... The wClock issue about which I posted my curiosity seems to me to be worthy of exploration, and if you don't feel that its exploration in the context within which it arose is acceptable, why don't you just moderate it to its own thread in this or another forum rather than wasting my time and your own? smile

artie505 #15773 05/29/11 05:05 AM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

My fault.

When my original inquiry was resolved in Post #15615, I should have ended there and posted a NEW thread - instead of #15730 - for matters related to the wClock and, thereafter, MagiCal applications.

Sorry about that, Folks.

blush

MG2009 #15774 05/29/11 06:34 AM

My fault.

When my original inquiry was resolved in Post #15615, I should have ended there and posted a NEW thread - instead of #15730 - for matters related to the wClock and, thereafter, MagiCal applications.

Sorry about that, Folks.

blush

Don't be so quick to blame yourself.

Two or more lines of discussion frequently get intertwined during the course of working through an issue, and the Mods are quick to take action when one needs to be split off, but, in this instance, your issue having been resolved apparently left them with no inclination to split the wClock line from its forebear.

As I mentioned, we've discussed three different wClock issues in this thread, and that includes participation by two Mods, dkmarsh and alternaut, with neither having looked askance at it.

MG2009 #15776 05/29/11 07:23 AM

Although the TIME/DATE options can be found in System Preferences, as expected, the FULL format in the dialogue box shows the day of the week (e.g. Wednesday) in its FULL format; however, when I click OK to add the FULL format to the menu bar, it appears there in the abbreviated form (e.g. Wed).

My goal was to have the FULL format appear in the Menu Bar EXACTLY as it appears in the dialogue box in System Preferences

I just re-located this link, which I had trashed for lack of interest (after all this time), but 10.4: Easily add the date to the menubar may help you out.

The procedure doesn't work in Snow Leopard, but I have a recollection of its having worked in Leopard (despite its Tiger pedigree).

artie505 #15777 05/29/11 10:45 AM

I suspect dianne's concern has less to do with adherence to a thread's literal topic than it does with your chronic habit of diverting threads into areas which have no substantive connection to any of the issues covered.

dianne referred to "the troubleshooting topics posted by MG2009 seeking help...in the areas of date and time format in menu bar." Since wClock and MagiCal were offered as solutions, further discussion of issues arising from their implementation—including the apparent inaccessibility of the wClock site and any helpful information which might be had therefrom—is clearly in the spirit of the thread if not the letter.

Discussion of when third-party applications require authentication prior to deletion is, just as clearly, outside of any reasonable definition of what this thread is about. It's a classic case of a thread stimulating interest in a different issue which should be raised for discussion, if desired, in a new thread.

Quote:
The wClock issue about which I posted my curiosity seems to me to be worthy of exploration...

...why don't you just moderate it to its own thread in this or another forum rather than wasting my time and your own?[emphasis added]

Since you seem to have more time on your hands than any of the mods, based on your ongoing provision of about 30% of the posts made here at FTM, the least you can do is to save everybody else's time by learning the difference between participating in a naturally meandering thread and commandeering a thread to satisfy your own curiosity. It's not like this point hasn't been raised a dozen times over the years.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard