FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Free House Opportunity
#14604 03/07/11 04:38 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

It seems that the end of the world is nigh. However, if you're like me and figure the odds might be against it, this could be a financial opportunity.

Since these folks are so certain that we're not going to be around after May 11, I'm sure they wouldn't mind betting on it. If I should happen to see them, and any are homeowners, I'm going to ask them to bet their house. If we're around after May 11 the house is mine.

And, if we're not around........well, talk about a great hedge.

ryck

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Free House Opportunity
ryck #14605 03/07/11 05:48 PM

My partner Zaiah and I are hosting an End of the World party on that day. I've always found it entertaining to host parties on days that various religious groups cave called the end of the world, and you'd be surprised how often that is. (I hosted my first End of the World party in 1989.) One of her friends actually has a Web site that tracks religious doomsday end-of-the-world predictions. In the US alone, there are often about 20 a year.

Last time I looked, the world hadn't ended. Still, I suppose it's a good idea to check HasTheWorldEnded.com every so often just to make sure.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
ryck #15689 05/23/11 12:00 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Whew! That was a close one. Well, I'm glad we're still all here (although some of my friends might argue I'm not all here - but, what do they know?)

I never did get any takers on the bet. Tacit, I hope your party was a par-tay!!.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 05/23/11 11:11 AM. Reason: spelling

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
tacit #15690 05/23/11 11:00 AM

Originally Posted By: tacit
[...] a Web site that tracks religious doomsday end-of-the-world predictions. In the US alone, there are often about 20 a year.

Last time I looked, the world hadn't ended. Still, I suppose it's a good idea to check HasTheWorldEnded.com every so often just to make sure.

I'm afraid the world may have ended; your link is dead! frown

Does that Web site also track the fallout from unfulfilled predictions, i.e. the fates of the predictors, their organizations, and their followings?

I'd love to see such a compilation, although I suspect that I'd be appalled by it.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #15691 05/23/11 11:14 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
Does that Web site also track the fallout from unfulfilled predictions, i.e. the fates of the predictors, their organizations, and their followings?

In this case, I think a few of the followers may now have a frown . One news report said that some had actually quit their jobs and sold their homes in anticipation.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 05/23/11 11:14 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #15692 05/23/11 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: ryck
In this case, I think a few of the followers may now have a frown . One news report said that some had actually quit their jobs and sold their homes in anticipation.

ryck

The media in NYC reported that a retired Staten Island postal worker had spent close to his entire life's savings spreading the word.

Rather than make me wonder, stuff like this just plain frightens me!

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #15694 05/23/11 06:08 PM

One of the things I'm worried about is that some of these people may end up committing suicide because the end of the world failed to happen on schedule. frown

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #15697 05/24/11 09:16 AM

Preacher Harold Camping says Rapture actually coming in October. What's the old saying? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

From my perspective, considering how obvious it is that this guy is a crackpot, once would be enough to shame me. But, as Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #15698 05/24/11 09:42 AM

I'd like to know how he recalculated and what he's going to do when he's wrong again.

On the other hand, though, he has given his followers a reason to live another five months (if they can afford to). (Edit: Ref. tacit)

And finally, since I'd have expected him to have spent every last penny while money still had value, I wonder where he got the $ for the motel (or does he just figure that there'll be no more collection agencies after October 21)?

Last edited by artie505; 05/24/11 10:29 AM.

artie505 #15699 05/24/11 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By: ryck

ryck

The media in NYC reported that a retired Staten Island postal worker had spent close to his entire life's savings spreading the word.

Rather than make me wonder, stuff like this just plain frightens me!

The frightening thing is these people can VOTE!

...JER (-: >
ryck #15700 05/24/11 12:08 PM

> One news report said that some had actually quit their jobs and sold their homes in anticipation.

That just registered... The guy who spent his life savings put his money where his mouth was.

But what's the purpose behind quitting your job and selling your house when you're toast...fait accompli? Reaffirmation of faith? confused

artie505 #15701 05/24/11 12:37 PM

More, from the NY Times. And he says that he won't return anybody's money.

Last edited by jchuzi; 05/24/11 12:40 PM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #15702 05/24/11 06:50 PM

he should be thrown in jail for shouting "Fire" in a movie theatre...

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #15704 05/24/11 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: roger

A public stoning, perhaps by the people whose money he won't return, sounds more appropriate to me.

Edit: The least he could do is support all those who tapped out in anticipation of the end until the "real" end.

Last edited by artie505; 05/24/11 07:43 PM.

jchuzi #15705 05/24/11 07:42 PM

He already made a fool of himself in 1994, so who's more foolish...he for doing it again, or his supporters for believing him again?

artie505 #15706 05/24/11 09:11 PM

But what's the purpose behind quitting your job and selling your house when you're toast...fait accompli? Reaffirmation of faith? confused

While I do not subscribe to Harold Camping's apacolyptic interpretation of the biblical texts nor to their literal interpretation, there is at least a modicum of justification for selling or giving away all your property found in all three of the synoptic Gospels, the parable of the Rich Young Man where Jesus tells him…
Originally Posted By: Matthew 19:21 NRSV
If you wish to be perfect, go, sell your possessions, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me."

How this passsage should be understood has been the subject of countless sermons, lectures in seminaries and schools of theology, and discussed over untold millions of gallons of spirits in taverns going back even before the reformation. But for those who interpret the bible litterally (usually in English and preferably English as written by the interpreters of the King James bible it is a no brainer. If the apacolypse is coming and you want to build up browny points in heaven then sell your goods and give the mooney to the poor — you will have no need of them anyway.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #15708 05/24/11 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: roger

A public stoning, perhaps by the people whose money he won't return, sounds more appropriate to me.
Another biblical quote seems appropriate here.

Originally Posted By: John 8:7 NRSV
When they kept questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let anyone among you whi is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her."

While I do not, in any way, believe in Harold Camping's apacolyptic interpretations of the biblical texts, it seems reasonably obvious that he is a "true" believer no matter the accuracy of his predictions. If we are going to start stoning everyone who believes differently than we do, that could truly bring about the apacolypse.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #15709 05/24/11 09:33 PM

Great post! Thanks. smile

Maybe ryck took his comment out of context and left out the "gave it away" part, maybe that part wasn't reported, and maybe it just plain didn't happen, but I do see your point.

And I guess quitting your job is an affirmation of faith.

joemikeb #15710 05/24/11 09:49 PM

On the one hand, of course, but on the other hand, his status as a "true believer" is subject to doubt, because I haven't heard about his having given away all of his earthly possessions, and, indeed,

Quote:
But Mr. Camping said his company — which is a nonprofit — would also not return donations given by his followers in advance of the May 21 prediction. “We’re not at the end,” he said, “Why would we return it?” <Harold Camping Predicts October Date for the Apocalypse - NYTimes.com>

***Edit: which seems to be directly opposed to

Quote:
He added that his company — which had bought billboard space nationwide to promote the May 21 date — would not promote his new prediction, Oct. 21. (Same article)

I've always felt that the only honest "guru" is a poor one... Or has he already gained so firm a place in heaven that he doesn't need to score any more points?

Last edited by artie505; 05/24/11 09:57 PM.

artie505 #15716 05/25/11 04:31 PM

Well, of course there is the unspoken and unwritten sub-text ..but just in case I am wrong... blush

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #15733 05/27/11 03:37 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I guess we can give the last word to Conan O'Brien: "The pastor who incorrectly predicted the Rapture for Saturday said he had a very tough weekend. To make it worse, his friends keep calling him, saying, "Hey, it's not the end of the world!"

ryck

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
joemikeb #15747 05/28/11 07:06 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Well, of course there is the unspoken and unwritten sub-text ..but just in case I am wrong... blush

And therein lies the difference between leaders and followers... Leaders hedge their bets! shocked

artie505 #15760 05/28/11 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

And therein lies the difference between leaders and followers... Leaders hedge their bets! shocked

Growing up in the Texas oil fields, I learned the biggest winners didn't hedge their bets. Of course the odds were they would be the biggest losers but they inevitably went for broke in spite of the odds and When they hit — they hit BIG. If they missed they were hitting you up for a 10¢ cup of coffee the next day but because everyone knew they had "bet the farm" and held nothing back, someone was usually willing to back their next venture. [Comment: The oil patch is not the same place today that it was then. Today, it is all MBAs and CPAs and no one risks their own wealth.)

I am of the opinion the same is true in religious matters as well. In the long run Harold Camping has lost his credibility and much of his following. Hedging his bet only serves to erode his position even further.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard