Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Burning a disk
artie505 #15553 05/13/11 04:33 AM
OP Offline

Artie:

Found this one from Texas. It's 99 cents or best offer. It's weird about China, though.

Rita

http://cgi.ebay.com/Verbatim-DVD-R-blank...2a#ht_500wt_951

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #15554 05/13/11 07:38 AM

> From what I've heard (from Donald Trump) China manipulates their currency big time. That's why they can sell so cheaply.

Hi, Rita,

According to my understanding, that's correct.

1¢ is not only an astonishingly low price, though, it underscores the unfair competition issue.

If you were into doing all the clicking, you could actually have bought a 100 DVD "spindle" for $1.

I wonder if that has anything to do with their having disappeared (as far as I can tell) from eBay?

Edit: Hmmm... I just Googled and found that Verbatims are made in Taiwan, India, and Singapore, but not in China; I wonder how that changes the equation?

Any economics mavens out there?

Last edited by artie505; 05/13/11 09:15 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #15555 05/13/11 08:24 AM

Interesting to note that the photos posted by the Hong Kong vendor and one of the mainland vendors are identical.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #15557 05/13/11 12:18 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I just Googled and found that Verbatims are made in Taiwan, India, and Singapore, but not in China; I wonder how that changes the equation?

There are a few comments to make with your question. First, although I have no way of verifying this, the cheap Verbatim disks may have been fake or stolen. Second, there have been some user complaints about Verbatim disks made outside of Taiwan, specifically India. Again, I have no personal experience with this, or another way of substantiating such claims. But if any (and particularly the former) of these possibilities are even partially true, that could be a basis for excessively cheap offers. I consider that more likely than an explanation rooted in Chinese currency policies, as this wouldn't account for the price difference seen.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #15558 05/13/11 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
Originally Posted By: artie505
I just Googled and found that Verbatims are made in Taiwan, India, and Singapore, but not in China; I wonder how that changes the equation?

There are a few comments to make with your question. First, although I have no way of verifying this, the cheap Verbatim disks may have been fake or stolen. Second, there have been some user complaints about Verbatim disks made outside of Taiwan, specifically India. Again, I have no personal experience with this, or another way of substantiating such claims. But if any (and particularly the former) of these possibilities are even partially true, that could be a basis for excessively cheap offers. I consider that more likely than an explanation rooted in Chinese currency policies, as this wouldn't account for the price difference seen.

You've echoed, literally, my own speculation with exception of the "stolen" option never having occurred to me.

Something just plain doesn't make sense. confused

plantsower #15575 05/13/11 11:17 PM

I've always had good luck with Verbatim media, since my 4x burner. I hear Bonus and AT&T are relabels of the same manufacture also, which are usually cheaper.

I also prefer the inkjet-printable discs because they have a much tougher top layer, and are easy to write on, with very high visibility. (I don't use them to print onto)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard