Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bootable Flash Drive for booting PPC with Leopard
#15444 05/06/11 09:24 PM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

I've got a 16 gig flash drive.

I want to put Leopard and DW and TTP on it to boot a PPC iMac that's running Leopard. (The flash drive is to be just an emergency drive.) I've got the retail Leopard disk.

Is this doable either by using the Leopard install disk or cloning what's already on my PPC iMac? Prefer to use the install disk method so as not to load all my user files from the iMac on the flash drive.

I've found there is no problem doing this for Leopard and an Intel Mac. But Google does not suggest to me that it's doable with a PPC Mac.

Re: Bootable Flash Drive for booting PPC with Leopard
RHV #15445 05/06/11 09:36 PM

Intel Macs are USB bootable; PPC Macs are not .

Your scheme will work with a FireWire flash drive.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #15446 05/06/11 09:46 PM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

Can I use my Ipod Nano?

RHV #15447 05/06/11 10:11 PM

Yes, but not to boot your PPC Mac. wink As Artie already mentioned, that requires FireWire.

alternaut moderator
RHV #15448 05/07/11 12:24 AM

If your only reason for wanting a bootable backup is to run your utilities in case of emergency, i.e. you don't really need a full OS, you may benefit from an April 2008 article by Ted Landau entitled "Create a Leopard startup flash drive" (on an 8Gb drive).

I can't think of any reason why his solution shouldn't run on a dual-layer DVD.

Anybody?

(I don't have a link to the article, but I do have it if you'd like it.)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #15450 05/07/11 10:13 AM

Jay

I-Mac 2.4ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 3gb/500 O.S..10.6.8
artie505 #15456 05/07/11 08:21 PM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

Ummmm .... PPCs are bootable from flash drives. But it's not straight forward.

One has to use open firmware. Here is a recent success story. (Yes I had seen Ted Landau's that you referred to.)

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20101011105729488

Jay-bird #15460 05/08/11 12:20 AM

That's the one.

RHV #15461 05/08/11 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: RHV

One has to use open firmware. Here is a recent success story.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20101011105729488

I've seen that article, and it made me cringe; I don't recommend its solution.

I assume that you noted this comment (crarko's a respected Mac consultant who has posted here.):

Quote:
crarko adds: This was a complex hint to edit, and while I tested some of the Open Firmware commands on an iMac G5, it is possible you will need to adjust some of the items depending on the PPC hardware you're working with. [....] (Emphasis added)

Also, if a situation arises in which you need a bootable alternative, I'm not certain that you'll invariably be able to boot into Open Firmware to use your flash drive.

A bootable disc seems to me to be a far better solution.

artie505 #15462 05/08/11 02:53 AM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes, I read Crarko's comments. And I remember that he used to post often on the old MacFixIt. Now he is moderator at the Mac OSX Hints Forums.

But his comments are not negative -- only cautious. Did you read the comments on that web page of all those who tried and succeeded? And if you Google extensively, you will find that there are lots who have succeeded with a similar (not exactly the same) set of moves. There are also some who have failed. The exact formula for success is somewhat up in the air. But if you are willing to invest in the stock market, the risks in booting to PPC from a USB drive are definitely minor.

Anyway, it is good to know that, with some risk, one can boot to PPC from a USB drive.

RHV #15463 05/08/11 03:09 AM

Yes, I read Crarko's comments. And I remember that he used to post often on the old MacFixIt. Now he is moderator at the Mac OSX Hints Forums.

But his comments are not negative -- only cautious. Did you read the comments on that web page of all those who tried and succeeded? And if you Google extensively, you will find that there are lots who have succeeded with a similar (not exactly the same) set of moves. There are also some who have failed. The exact formula for success is somewhat up in the air. But if you are wiling to invest in the stock market, the risks in booting to PPC from a USB drive here are definitely minor.

Anyway, it is good to know that, with some risk, one can boot to PPC from a USB drive.

I didn't bother to read the comments; I've got no interest in a more or less counterproductive solution.

Why would I want to go through that whole rigamarole...boot into Open Firmware...enter commands, only to then have to wait n seconds for my deuced Mac(hina) to boot when it can be booted from a disc in the same n seconds sans whole rigamarole?

Ok... Portability. I'll forgo it. smile

Edit: And, as I suggested, what happens if, as a function of your issue, you can't boot into Open Firmware?

Last edited by artie505; 05/08/11 03:10 AM.

RHV #15465 05/08/11 08:24 AM

One has to use open firmware.

An afterthought: The answer that both alternaut and I posted is the "generally accepted" answer.

The answer you found, which I'll call an "advanced, maybe even expert, users, only" answer, is not one that I think ought to be proffered "lightly."

(As a general rule, I think that somebody who's got to ask the question should not be directed to that answer.)

RHV #15473 05/08/11 07:21 PM

oooo I'm gonna have to try that on Monday. nice find!

Last I'd found, you could only boot ppc on usb to os 9, and then only on very specific models

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
RHV #15477 05/08/11 07:30 PM

Given that you provide an answer (of sorts) to your own question, is there still one left, and if so, would you mind posting it here?

alternaut moderator
artie505 #15484 05/08/11 10:14 PM

Quote:
I've seen that article, and it made me cringe; I don't recommend its solution.

Quote:
I didn't bother to read the comments; I've got no interest in a more or less counterproductive solution.

Seems a bit shallow to dismiss a solution—with vehemence—by citing one commenter's reply (notwithstanding crarko's respected Mac consultancy [respected by whom? {sorry, Craig, rhetorical question}]) while breezily dismissing the rest of the discussion without even considering what anyone else had to say.

Quote:
Why would I want to go through that whole rigamarole...boot into Open Firmware...enter commands, only to then have to wait n seconds for my deuced Mac(hina) to boot when it can be booted from a disc in the same n seconds sans whole rigamarole?

Of course, the question isn't why you would want to do anything; it's RHV's thread. wink

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #15485 05/08/11 11:17 PM

You are the master of basing posts on out-of-context quotes!

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard