FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
.docx won't open
#15146 04/16/11 12:50 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I've received a .docx file that is only 25 Kb but, even with my 2GB of memory 92% idle and 257 GB of disk space available, I get a dialogue box that says "not enough memory or disk space".

That seems curious to me.

I have asked the sender to forward a .doc version but, with all that memory and disk space, I think I shouldn't have to. Am I not right?

ryck

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: .docx won't open
ryck #15147 04/16/11 01:18 AM

It's possible that the file is somehow corrupted*, but you might want to try if you can open/convert it from within Open XML Converter.

* If you didn't receive this file from someone you know and have verified its mailing/transfer with, I'd delete it ASAP.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #15151 04/16/11 02:39 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

It appears that "corrupted" may be the answer. I do have XML Converter and it usually works in the background. However, after your post I opened the application and first checked to see if I was current. I was 1.1.8 so I installed 1.1.9

I then tried the conversion by opening the XML Converter and dragging the file onto it. However I got a "conversion failed" response.

The file is secure. It's from one of my daughters sent from her business system.

Curiously I've now got a .rtf file on my desktop with the same name as the .docx file.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 04/16/11 02:44 AM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #15154 04/16/11 06:02 AM

> I then tried the conversion by opening the XML Converter and dragging the file onto it. However I got a "conversion failed" response.

That's interesting, because the coupl'a times I've used Open XML Converter 1.1.8 I've gotten the same "Failed" message, but my docs were converted all the same.

(Slightly off-topic: I wonder why Open XML Converter 1.1.8 is a 4Mb app, while 1.1.9 is close to a 50Mb d/l?)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
ryck #15155 04/16/11 06:20 AM

There may be several reasons for this behavior. First, what is your Office version? If it is 2008 or 2011, there is no need to use the converter - the docx. file is native for those. If it is 2001 or 2004, the XML converter is engaged automatically. I have seen several possible reasons for this message:
1. Corrupt Normal file. You might like to drag it to the desktop while Word is not open and restart Word. The file will be recreated. The drawback is that you will lose custom formatting and toolbar customization.
2. The file is corrupt in the download process. Trash it and download again from the e-mailer. What happens when you try to open the rtf. file?
3. The file is corrupt in the mailing process. You might like to ask to resend it, provided the sender can download the file herself and open it on her machine.
Sometimes repairing permissions and restarting can get rid of this problem too if the file is OK. You could start from this procedure.
P.S. I have never encountered the message "failed" when using the XML converter.

Last edited by macnerd10; 04/16/11 06:21 AM.

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN
artie505 #15157 04/16/11 10:23 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
> I then tried the conversion by opening the XML Converter and dragging the file onto it. However I got a "conversion failed" response.

That's interesting, because the coupl'a times I've used Open XML Converter 1.1.8 I've gotten the same "Failed" message, but my docs were converted all the same.

I erred in saying the Conversion Failed. I just did it again with a newly sent copy and the message was:

Converted: Errors occurred. Click Conversion Log for details.

This is the "conversion" that is creating a .rtf file instead of a .doc file

NOTE: The .rtf doesn't open but generates the dialogue box message "The document “Business Plan2.rtf” could not be opened."

Conversion Log says:

Start time: 2011-04-16 04:11:55 -0700
Converting file: /Users/myname/Desktop/Business Plan2.docx
objc[871]: Class NLAssertionHandler is implemented in both /Applications/Open XML Converter.app/Contents/SharedSupport/wordcvtr and /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office Converter Support/Open XML for Word.framework/Versions/12/../../../MicrosoftComponentPlugin.framework/Versions/12/MicrosoftComponentPlugin. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
Conversion failed
End time: 2011-04-16 04:11:57 -0700

Console log says:

11-04-16 4:11:57 AM ReportCrash[872] Saved crash report for wordcvtr[871] version ??? (???) to /Users/myname/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/wordcvtr_2011-04-16-041157_my-names-imac.crash

NOTE: We ran into this once before with my other daughter getting files from university professors and Tacit mentioned that the originating software can be set up to send .doc files. I asked this daughter to try that and she did but it appears to have sent another .docx instead.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 04/16/11 10:33 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
macnerd10 #15159 04/16/11 11:57 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: macnerd10
First, what is your Office version? If it is 2001 or 2004, the XML converter is engaged automatically.

I am Office 2004 and usually XML Converter works in the background. I only tried it by opening the application first because I thought it might generate some other information.

1. Corrupt Normal file. You might like to drag it to the desktop while Word is not open and restart Word. The file will be recreated. The drawback is that you will lose custom formatting and toolbar customization.
2. The file is corrupt in the download process. Trash it and download again from the e-mailer. What happens when you try to open the rtf. file?

I tried these but to no avail. The RTF would not open.

Sometimes repairing permissions and restarting can get rid of this problem too if the file is OK. You could start from this procedure.

I did a Permissions Repair after my first failed attempt but it didn't help.

NOTE: I am now thinking the problem may be inside the original document related to the way edits were executed. I managed to open the .docx in TextEdit using the trackball Right Click.

The first version of this document was 61 KB but the new version is only 25KB.

While the new version is missing several sections from the first version, it does have new material.

On one page there appears to be an illogical Page Break that wasn't in the first version.

I have emailed my findings to my daughter but am unable to answer if she should ask: "What, in an edit, would cause this?"

Thoughts, anyone?

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 04/16/11 11:57 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #15161 04/16/11 01:40 PM

RTF is fairly straightforward XML. There are free xml readers/editors available, as well as programs that can check xml syntax. (not sure if plutil can or not) If you are able to, post a copy of the rtf file for us to look at.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #15164 04/16/11 01:57 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
RTF is fairly straightforward XML.

Using Right Click I now have the RTF opening in both TextEdit and Word (the Office 2004 version on my drive). It does not contain much of the formatting such as header, page numbers, et cetera, although all the data are there.

If you are able to, post a copy of the rtf file for us to look at.

Unfortunately, due to the confidential nature of the content, I can't post it.

I have asked my daughter to create a new document with a simple entry of text, a return, and another simple text entry. It seems to me that, if that opens correctly, it would indicate a problem in the original document.

However, that leaves me with the question: "Why?"

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 04/16/11 02:07 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #15169 04/16/11 04:11 PM

That .rtf thing kinda rings a bell, ryck; try changing the .rtf suffix to .doc and see if it opens as expected.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #15170 04/16/11 04:37 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

try changing the .rtf suffix to .doc and see if it opens as expected.

Well, that's interesting. After changing the to .doc it opened in Word complete with the text formatting. The headers and page numbers were missing.

Good one, artie.

Ryck

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #15171 04/16/11 05:02 PM

I'm happy to hear that worked for you, ryck. smile

After thinking about your .rtf issue for a bit I (thought I) remembered running into it with an Excel spreadsheet my daughter sent me, and, since I had absolutely nothing to lose, changing the suffix, and...

I wonder if anybody can offer up an insight as to what happens in these situations.

macnerd10 #15172 04/16/11 05:45 PM

> First, what is your Office version? [....] If it is 2001 or 2004, the XML converter is engaged automatically.

I'm running Office X, and that both confused and enlightened me...

Enlightened: My daughter recently sent me an Excel spreadsheet created in Office 2008, and I didn't understand why I didn't have to run it through Open XML Converter.

Confused: The first time I needed OXMLC I had to use drag & drop to get my files open, and I now realize it must have been because I didn't d/l OXMLC until after the files hit my desktop; I guess that had it been there from the get-go, drag & drop would have been unnecessary.

ryck #15190 04/17/11 01:58 AM

... and yet people still ask me why I don't like using MS Word...

Virtual1 #15192 04/17/11 10:00 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

... and yet people still ask me why I don't like using MS Word...

To give the Devil its due, this is looking more like corruption in the original document rather than a fault attributable to Microsoft. I've generally found that the XML Converter works very well.

I have MS Office 2004 on my drive as I have at least three sources of documents from people in organizations that use Word for Windows. The XML Converter allows me to exchange documents with them without having to buy an expensive replacement for my seven year old software.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 04/17/11 10:01 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #15200 04/17/11 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
The XML Converter allows me to exchange documents with them without having to buy an expensive replacement for my seven year old software.

You woulld not have to spend anything to use NeoOffice which reads and writes .doc and .dotx files with aplomb as well as the equivalent Excel and PowerPoint formats. The current version of NeoOffice also handles VBA scripts, Excel macros, etc. The .docx format is a snap for NeoOffice because Microsoft's .docx is a bastardation of the open source standard .odf (open document format) which is the NeoOffice/OpenOffice.org native word processing file format.

As an added fillip the NeoOffice 3.2 beta is OS X 10.7 (Lion) compatible and your Office 2004 may not be.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #15202 04/17/11 11:48 PM

I d/l'ed NeoOffice (150Mb as I recall) once, and I was put off by two things:
  1. Maybe I overlooked, but it I couldn't find any way to install only the spreadsheet component, and
  2. Although it opened my Excel spreadsheet, it somehow (I don't remember the specifics.) didn't present it in a format that I found acceptable.
I'd love to get Microsoft off of my deuced Mac(hina), but, so far...

artie505 #15207 04/18/11 02:14 AM

the star office apps are a bit like appleworks of old that would do wp, spreadsheet, and db all in one app.

and yes you do lose some things. a new coworker here opened our mileage sheet in numbers by accident and saved it. numbers was all too happy to remove the .xls file and replace it with a non extensioned file that had not only wiped a lot of the formatting, but NUKED all the formulas I'd carefully set up. lessons learned, that file gets periodically backed up automatically now.

ryck #15209 04/18/11 04:13 AM

If you ever decide to upgrade your Office, skip the 2008, it has too many bugs. 2011 is definitely better although still not perfect.

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN
artie505 #15212 04/18/11 11:51 AM

1. Maybe I overlooked, but it I couldn't find any way to install only the spreadsheet component, and
  2. Although it opened my Excel spreadsheet, it somehow (I don't remember the specifics.) didn't present it in a format that I found acceptable.

1. Yes, OpenOffice, LibreOffice, NeoOffice, and Symphony are all one program with several components, so you cannot install just one part. But I don’t see how that is a problem. NeoOffice is fast, stable, etc. I have used it for several years and it has never crashed and has never failed to do what I need.

2. Not sure what you mean by “format unacceptable.” I had used MS Excel on the Windows side for 8 years in a Fortune 100 company and was one of the top analysts / Excel power users. I have not used Excel for 3+ years, and no longer work at the power level. But I often exchange spreadsheets with Excel users and have never had a problem. My MBP is 3+ years old and has never had MS products; I never miss any of it.

MacBook Pro 15” Matte, OS X 10.6.6
Scrivener 2, Mellel 2.7.3, DevonThinkPro 2, Accordance 9.1,
OpenOffice.Org 3.3, Notebook 3, Reunion 9, Tinderbox 5.6.1
GrayShades #15214 04/18/11 12:16 PM

Originally Posted By: GrayShades

1. Yes, OpenOffice, LibreOffice, NeoOffice, and Symphony are all one program with several components, so you cannot install just one part. But I don’t see how that is a problem. NeoOffice is fast, stable, etc. I have used it for several years and it has never crashed and has never failed to do what I need.

2. Not sure what you mean by “format unacceptable.” I had used MS Excel on the Windows side for 8 years in a Fortune 100 company and was one of the top analysts / Excel power users. I have not used Excel for 3+ years, and no longer work at the power level. But I often exchange spreadsheets with Excel users and have never had a problem. My MBP is 3+ years old and has never had MS products; I never miss any of it.

1. Not really a problem so much as I just plain don't want to have to run such a huge program when I need only a small portion of its functionality.

2. I'm not sure what "unacceptable" means either, because I experimented quite a while ago. I only remember that my spreadsheet didn't look the same as it looked in Excel and that I couldn't find any way to "correct" it, and I did spend some time trying to make it work.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard