FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Updating DW 4.2 to 4.3
#15013 04/06/11 05:51 PM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

I starting using Disk Warrior just a few months ago.

I have a copy of DW 4.2 on my computer HD (that carries OS X 10.6.7) and one on my external firewire HD (that holds a bootable 10.6.7).

Can I use the DW 4.3 updater to directly update the copy of DW 4.2 I have on my computer HD -- thus not using my 4.2 Disc in the updating process and not burning a new 4.3 disc? Then I'd move the updated copy from my computer HD to my external and delete the old 4.2 copy on the external HD. (I hate using repair discs.)

If so, does it matter where on my computer HD the copy of DW 4.2 is located?

Re: Updating DW 4.2 to 4.3
RHV #15014 04/06/11 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: RHV
Can I use the DW 4.3 updater to directly update the copy of DW 4.2 I have on my computer HD

Nope.

Must have the original install CD (containing 4.0 or 4.1 or whatever version came in the box).

RHV #15016 04/06/11 07:00 PM

> If so, does it matter where on my computer HD the copy of DW 4.2 is located?

Quoted from the DW "Read Me:"

Quote:
Alsoft recommends that DiskWarrior reside in the Utilities folder of the Applications folder.

Despite that, I've run DW from a separate partition for years with no issues.

That said, I'll add that I've run into issues with Automatic Diagnostics in v 4.3, one of which is resolved by running DW from its preferred location.

Edit: I'm waiting to hear from Alsoft about the other issue.

Last edited by artie505; 04/06/11 07:03 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Hal Itosis #15017 04/06/11 07:42 PM

To elaborate a bit more, if we are referring to the same Updater:
The Updater will create a bootable CD/DVD based off of your original CD/DVD. Once this new disc is created, you can just drag the new version of DW from it and use it to replace any older ones on your computer.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #15018 04/06/11 07:51 PM

And to conclude... The new DW 4.3 disc will boot only those Macs that the original from which it was created will boot.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
RHV #15036 04/07/11 09:22 PM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Hal -- and thanks to the others who offered information.

I didn't have any DVDs to hand; so I was hoping I could do the update without shopping. But no: I had to shop. It all went well. DW is nicely explicit on the moves needed to get the updated disc -- my first time creating an updated DW disc. (Yes: I know: Keep the original disc for further DW updates.)

Last edited by RHV; 04/07/11 09:23 PM.
artie505 #15056 04/09/11 07:41 AM

To circumvent the bootability problem (if one has a 4.0 CD that had Tiger on it) there are two solutions. 1. Alsoft offers a new 4.3 DVD with new OS for $29. 2. One can copy DW from the updated 4.3 disk to Utilities folder on a bootable external drive and run it from there to check the HD.

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN
RHV #15096 04/12/11 04:52 PM

also fyi, DW 4.3 does NOT appear to be able to function when logged in as root. Since I use root user for my service machines (or deal with endless authentications) I am continuing to use 4.2. Given my prior experience with alsoft's tech support, I'm not going to bother with bringing this up with them.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #15097 04/12/11 05:03 PM

> Given my prior experience with alsoft's tech support, I'm not going to bother with bringing this up with them.

Funny you should say that. tongue

It took three weeks and three e-mails to get a rise out of them aboout DiskWarrior Automatic Diagnostics, and it's been 8 days since I sent them the log for which they asked.

I must say, though, that they were responsive when I contacted them about an earlier (still unresolved after three years) issue.

Virtual1 #15193 04/17/11 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
also fyi, DW 4.3 does NOT appear to be able to function when logged in as root. Since I use root user for my service machines (or deal with endless authentications) I am continuing to use 4.2. Given my prior experience with alsoft's tech support, I'm not going to bother with bringing this up with them.

Since I've got an open line to Alsoft tech support because of my Automatic Diagnostics issue (which they actually are working on) I mentioned that to them:

Quote:
Also, in case you guys are not aware of it, another on-line acquaintance has posted that DW 4.3 does NOT run if you're logged in as root user.

Quote:
That's correct, DiskWarrior 4.3 does not run while running as a root user. There's no reason to run DiskWarrior while logged in as root.

If you'd like to pursue it, the writer was Marc Moorash, Alsoft Technical Support. <tech.support@alsoft.com>

artie505 #15206 04/18/11 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Quote:
Also, in case you guys are not aware of it, another on-line acquaintance has posted that DW 4.3 does NOT run if you're logged in as root user.

Quote:
That's correct, DiskWarrior 4.3 does not run while running as a root user. There's no reason to run DiskWarrior while logged in as root.

If you'd like to pursue it, the writer was Marc Moorash, Alsoft Technical Support. <tech.support@alsoft.com>

Tell me that isn't just the MOST infuriating response to get from tech support. me: "It doesn't work when I do that." them: "well then, don't DO that."

Of the somewhat limited contact I've had with their tech support, 50% of their responses to my bug reports simply told me to quit doing what I was trying to do. They're just totally dismissing the problem as a user issue.

I can't help but wonder if the response on this specific issue is related to their claiming I'm "not allowed" to use their software on a hard drive I don't own. (as few "regular users" run as root, as I need to) I'm almost certain the conversation would take an immediate segway in that direction to shut me down if I were to try to discuss it with them. And then I'd just be trying to hire Balmer to come throw me a chair.

To further my rant, There's no reason to run DiskWarrior while logged in as root. Here's a real good reason. I WANT TO. Quality software runs properly under "all reasonable conditions", not just under ideal conditions or arbitrarily selected conditions. If I change my desktop picture and your app crashes, don't tell me it's my problem and I need to set my desktop picture back to defaults. You need to fix your app.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #15210 04/18/11 05:46 AM

> I can't help but wonder if the response on this specific issue is related to their claiming I'm "not allowed" to use their software on a hard drive I don't own. (as few "regular users" run as root, as I need to) I'm almost certain the conversation would take an immediate segway in that direction to shut me down if I were to try to discuss it with them.

That exact thought occurred to me, and its implication is that you're someday going to have to deal with a DW version that requires you to reboot in order to run it on the version(s) of OS X for which it's been optimized; either that, or Alsoft will develop a new version of DW that runs from root (to satisfy techs such as you) and costs like hell.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard