Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Permissions Horror, Apple inserting Read only into
kevs #15000 04/06/11 04:13 AM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Tacit, that went over my head. sorry.
But suffice it to say, let me ask you this.
Permissions issue:

I'm on my home network. My laptop cannot access or save a read only file.

or the email blast same issue I cannot save it.

How do I solve this?

I go back to the desktop and do a command i on the problem file.

I change everyone to read/write. Problem solved. I'm a happy guy.

But here is my main question.

Why a month or months later, do these file revert to everyone read only? and the cycle continues?

Log onto the desktop with the DESKTOP username and password, not with the LAPTOP username and password. That should solve the problem.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #15006 04/06/11 03:28 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Tacit, thanks!

What am I logging onto to? Lost me from the get go.

(sorry for being so lame -- you guys are genius compared to me....)

kevs #15015 04/06/11 06:12 PM

Tacit, thanks!

What am I logging onto to? Lost me from the get go.

You have used the words "network" and "sharing" in some of your previous posts. So... does not the act of 'logging in' also occur within this troublesome scenario at some point? [i.e., when mounting the share.]

Shouldn't it be you who explains to us what (exactly) you're doing in the first place? [i.e., add a little more description so folks can get a better visual of the setup.]

Hal Itosis #15026 04/06/11 11:48 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Sorry guys my fault. Being that it's my intern who is logging on, I did not get my head around that. Ok, so the intern logs on. She sees my network name in the dropdown list.
I then give her the password (no user name), just the password to get online at my house/ home business. that's it. JUst like when you go to Starbucks or Coffebean. you are logged on now to the internet. From there most interns can then get into my designated shared folder. She gets in, but for some reason 3 or the 6 files in a particular folder are not showing on here little windows netbook. The permissions have been double checked, those files are ok, all say read/write like the other three that are showing up.

kevs #15031 04/07/11 12:09 PM

The normal practice would be to give the intern an account and password to log onto. The account would be the same account the files are stored under unless the files are on an external drive that is set to ignore permissions and then it could be any account. That way she appears as a normal user on the host system and would have all the privileges of that particular user account.

Just a thought, I know you do not want to invest much, or any, more money into this system, but given what you are trying to do you might consider a Mac Mini Server that comes with Snow Leopard Server installed. It would take a bit more to setup initially, but it would neatly solve all of these permission issues you are having with co-workers, interns, etc. The server software is specifically designed for the task you have in mind, and in the long run could make your life much easier.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
kevs #15033 04/07/11 03:13 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Kevs, does your post #15026 belong here in "Permissions Horror, Apple inserting Read only into" or should it be in Issue with someone on Windows getting with my netw?

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #15034 04/07/11 04:35 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Cyn, the issues cross pollinate. I'm not sure they are the same.

I do get my Mac automatically making files read only after I've made them read write on the everyone. Still don't know why.

This issue is about my intern can get to a folder with file sharing, but several of the excel in that folder are not showing. it's bizarre.

Joe/ Tacit: The intern does not log into my computer. That's not how this work. I have a router -- again it's like going into a coffee shop, you get a single 7 digit password and they are on your network for internet. Then via file sharing I've designated a folder for the intern to access.

Why can she get into the folder and access 3 files but the other 3 don't show?
Thanks all for your great help!

(this may not be solvable, but it's good to ask)

kevs #15037 04/07/11 10:03 PM

Then via file sharing I've designated a folder for the intern to access.

What folder, where? Name its path (and tell us which "machine" it's on).

Better yet, list that folder via:

ls -alOe /path/to/the/folder

[you can get the proper pathname using copy/paste (or drag-n-drop) from Finder to Terminal.]

Why can she get into the folder and access 3 files but the other 3 don't show?

The listing i requested might just answer that question... if you're willing.

Hal Itosis #15038 04/07/11 11:57 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I don't know if this helps Hal, it's just, ya know:

Volumes/main hardrive/ documents/List/Projects

joemikeb #15041 04/08/11 06:40 AM

Couldn't he turn the trick at less cost by upgrading to Lion and its included Server component?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
kevs #15046 04/08/11 01:19 PM

I don't know if this helps Hal, it's just, ya know:

Volumes/main hardrive/ documents/List/Projects

Oh it helps... as it shows to what extent you're sincere about solving this issue. (again, most of my requested info was ignored... so perhaps i should do the same to this thread).

Hal Itosis #15047 04/08/11 05:02 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Hal, remember, I'm not that intelligent!

A lot of this stuff goes over my head. Honestly, it may be a Gremlin, think about, she see's 3 files in the folder but not the other three.

What are the odds you guys, brilliant as you are, are going to know why that is? But I gotta ask, you never know.

kevs #15048 04/08/11 05:53 PM

Hal, remember, I'm not that intelligent!

A lot of this stuff goes over my head. Honestly, it may be a Gremlin, think about, she see's 3 files in the folder but not the other three.

What are the odds you guys, brilliant as you are, are going to know why that is? But I gotta ask, you never know.

Yeah but... you won't even run a simple (and totally safe) terminal command to allow us to see anything. You just want folks to guess, based on as little information as possible. Seems most of your "efforts" go into attention seeking, rather than learning and/or problem solving.

i say again:

ls -alOe /path/to/the/problem/folder

...where "/path/to/the/problem/folder" is a simple matter of copy/paste (or drag-n-drop).

Too much for you?
Too bad.

Hal Itosis #15049 04/08/11 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
i say again:

ls -alOe /path/to/the/problem/folder

...where "/path/to/the/problem/folder" is a simple matter of copy/paste (or drag-n-drop).

For the benefit of kevs, an admitted 'out of this league'r, how about being a tad more specific yourself? tongue For instance, by giving the exact text to copy/paste into the Terminal window (/path), followed by drag & drop after that text in the Terminal window of the target folder via the Finder?

Keep in mind that for someone who's never done it or has little if any experience with Terminal, this can be quite confusing/scary, particularly when it's not clear exactly what to expect, or when you've made an error, and what (not) to do then.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #15051 04/08/11 09:45 PM

Since you didn't...

kevs:
  1. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.
  2. Copy this text and paste it at the prompt, i.e. the little grey bar that comes after kevs$.
    Code:
    ls -alOe
  3. Type a single space after the pasted text.
  4. Drag the folder in which your files are into the Terminal window (and its path will automatically be entered).
  5. Hit "Return."
  6. Copy Terminal's results.
  7. Paste them into a reply post.
Now, let's see. tongue

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #15052 04/09/11 01:05 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I know you two are really into the Terminal. For me something has to be life and death to take terminal commands on faith with no context or explanations -- as it's so draining.

kevs #15053 04/09/11 01:14 AM

...it's less draining if you just think of it as following a recipe to bake a cake.

You've gotten some very thoughtful and detailed suggestions that will provide an insight into your long-standing issue with permissions....what have you got to lose?

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
kevs #15065 04/09/11 03:21 PM

If you haven't heard of it before, you might take a look at Bwana, which brings the man (Unix manual) pages to your browser and will enable you to understand Terminal commands that have been posted so you don't have to take them on faith.

artie505 #15066 04/09/11 03:30 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

what is man page.

also, there is the idea -- do you really know this will work?

kevs #15068 04/09/11 04:19 PM

The "man pages" are the UNIX manual that is stored on your HD as part of OS X; in it you can look up the functionality of commands and their options.

For instance, Hal posted

Code:
ls -alOe

in which "ls" is the command and "alOe" are the options; this is how man describes "ls" (We'll ignore the options for now.):

Quote:
NAME
ls -- list directory contents

> also, there is the idea -- do you really know this will work?

Terminal is pretty straightforward; you enter a command and it either runs and generates results or tells you "No such...."

So to answer your question, yeah; it works by default as long as you enter a correct command. (But you always want to copy and paste your commands!!!)

kevs #15069 04/09/11 04:23 PM

The 'man' page stands for the (Unix) 'manual', which is built into Mac OS X, but only accessible via this route (that is, without a 3rd party GUI).

At this point we need information about the problem, so that its nature becomes clear(er). That information will then either suggest a solution, or another question to pinpoint things further. This approach is time proven and will work.

alternaut moderator
kevs #15070 04/09/11 04:34 PM

also, there is the idea -- do you really know this will work?

What do you mean by "work"?

All it's supposed to do is produce a list of the items in that folder. The intent is simply to provide us with detailed information about the ownership & permissions on those items (that goes way beyond Finder's measly Get Info window), with which to answer the question you asked. [or at least supply some food for thought]

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 04/09/11 04:49 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard