for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
time capsule network incompatibility
#14976 04/04/11 02:56 PM
OP Offline

I just found out (the "hard way") that time capsules do not work for time machine backup when they are configured for passthrough. (not distributing ip addresses via DHCP) They will appear to be fine with setup, but the backups will fail every time.

Just thought I'd pass that along. I was NOT expecting that to be an issue. But it took 30 minutes and tier 2 applecare to dig up that nugget. They don't appear to want to openly advertise that limitation.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: time capsule network incompatibility
Virtual1 #14980 04/04/11 07:35 PM

Mine (simultaneous dual band v-7.5.2) is setup for passthrough of DHCP and works fine......it is assigned a fixed IP address and has been working since this time last year as currently configured in bridge mode.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #14988 04/05/11 12:30 AM
OP Offline

fixed ip may be the missing ingredient then. apple does tend to fall back to "that doesn't work" or "that's an unsupported configuration" when you stump them on how to make something Just Work.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #14989 04/05/11 12:55 AM

I set it up with a fixed IP once I realized that it wasn't going to be the xxx.xxx.xxx.1 device on the LAN and it wouldn't work well to have it jump around in the DHCP pool with all the other clients.....so I gave it a fixed IP outside the DHCP pool so there was no chance of inadvertent address conflict and it has "just worked" ever since. I have several network devices that I have assigned fixed IP addresses to -- network printers, wireless repeaters, and Network Attached Storage (NAS) drives each with their own range of fixed IP's within the LAN.

I like my printers to all fall within the next block of 10 addresses above the router, my NAS devices to fall within the next block of 10 above that, and each of the WiFi devices to have a major key number such as xxx.xxx.xxx.230, 240, 250......and I limit my DHCP pool to a smaller subset in the 170 to 195 range.

MacManiac #14991 04/05/11 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
I set it up with a fixed IP once I realized that it wasn't going to be the xxx.xxx.xxx.1 device on the LAN and it wouldn't work well to have it jump around in the DHCP pool with all the other clients.....so I gave it a fixed IP outside the DHCP pool so there was no chance of inadvertent address conflict and it has "just worked" ever since. I have several network devices that I have assigned fixed IP addresses to -- network printers, wireless repeaters, and Network Attached Storage (NAS) drives each with their own range of fixed IP's within the LAN.

I like my printers to all fall within the next block of 10 addresses above the router, my NAS devices to fall within the next block of 10 above that, and each of the WiFi devices to have a major key number such as xxx.xxx.xxx.230, 240, 250......and I limit my DHCP pool to a smaller subset in the 170 to 195 range.

It's my total ignorance of the subject under discussion, of course, but that is the most incomprehensible post I've ever read, the Hal-ganbustein exchanges included. confused

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #14995 04/05/11 04:21 AM

That's only because it's "old-school" networking from back in the day.....like when we used to make our own null-modem serial cables from junk out of the drawer under the work bench! blush

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard