Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
mkv file
#14686 03/11/11 11:55 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

OS 10.5.8 toast 7
My son gave me a movie (MKV) on a memory stick. It plays perfectly on my computer using DivX player. On his, there no audio hence giving it to me.
I couldn't burn it so I converted it to DVD using visual hub with no apparent problem. I then burnt it with toast. However, when I tried to play it on a blueray player, it was pixelated. Same on a regular DVD player.
Can a mkv file be burnt? Why would it pixelate as a DVD?
I have thought about converting it to an AVI but would that be any better? Visual hub has other options too.
Any ideas? jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Re: mkv file
jaybass #14732 03/16/11 07:17 PM

MKV is a container format, and like MP4 and MOV and AVI it says nothing about how the video or audio are encoded within.

MKV is becoming a very popular video container format, and is used almost exclusively for bluray ripping lately. Since it's relatively new and not yet widely adopted, many video players and video converters lack full/good/any support for the container.

If you're getting pixilation after converting, it's impossible to say if the source video is bad, the conversion was done poorly/wrong, or the player is having problems with the new format.

This will be very difficult for us to help you with because there are so many variables to consider. Add to that you are converting the video not once, but twice. (once with visual hub and once with toast)

I suggest updating his computer to play the mkv file. vlc plays most mkv files. It doesn't handle jumping around well though, so just let it play.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: mkv file
Virtual1 #14748 03/17/11 06:39 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for answering my post.
I did again convert the MKV file to an AVI with VH and as I expected, it pixelated also. This is a 1981 movie which I thought would have been a different format considering it's age.
I have checked the internet for software that would successfully convert MKV but I'm dubious after what you have told me. I think I will wait and see what happens in the future.
Thanks again.
jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard