FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Configuring a Wireless Printer
#14531 03/04/11 10:08 AM
OP Offline

Hello:
Since our last exchange I went ahead and bought a HP1102w Laserjet monochrome wireless printer. It works OK with the cable but I have been unable to configure the machine to work wirelessly. Although I have followed the installation procedure meticulously, I am stalled at the file HTMLConfig which is EMPTY of content, hence there is no way to enter the network data. In other words, going into Print & Fax (in System Preferences) and clicking all the way to HTMLConfig, opening the latter file reveals Nothing. Tracing the location of this HTMLConfig file produces a Terminal message with several errors.
So the question is how do I restore the functioning of this HTMLConfig file?
I believe that the apparent corruption of this file was probably caused by me because I recall that it worked the very first time I tried to enter data in the wireless network, made a mistake, and when I went back to try again the HTMLConfig file no longer worked. I think that I may have deleted something but am not sure.
Thanks for your kind attention.

Re: Configuring a Wireless Printer
booneavenueboy #14536 03/04/11 07:20 PM

Have you tried uninstalling the printer, deleting its associated files, and reinstalling?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #14537 03/04/11 08:30 PM
OP Offline

Hi,
Yes, I have done that; four times, in fact. Which is why I'm thinking the problem has to be with the OS. After all, the HTMLConfig is part of the Mac OS. I'm using 10.6., by the way. Thanks for replying.

booneavenueboy #14546 03/05/11 01:04 PM

Have you contacted HP? I should think their warranty/support center should be of help. Almost certainly, you are not the first to experience this problem and they may well know the secret to success.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #14548 03/05/11 03:49 PM
OP Offline

Believe me, I have been in touch with HP and, with a technician via e-mail over a one week period, went through the wireless set-up procedure step-by-step, reaching the HTMLConfig Utility stage. They asked for a screen shot of the empty file which I sent, and they confirmed getting it. I haven't heard from them since.
Can I fix this problem by doing a clean install of the OS10.6 with my CD? Or a partial reinstall?

booneavenueboy #14551 03/05/11 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: booneavenueboy
Can I fix this problem by doing a clean install of the OS10.6 with my CD? Or a partial reinstall?

I'm not sure about that, but it's an easy test (and can't hurt) to run the appropriate MacOS X 6.x Combo updater again.

alternaut moderator

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard