FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: iPad
Hal Itosis #14513 03/03/11 06:23 AM

Jobs breaks from leave of absence to unveil the iPad 2:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4203/the-ipad-2-and-ios-4-announcement (3 pages)

Anyone want to buy my used 1st gen? smile

"Regardless of how Apple corporate wants to portray its products,
 the Mac isn't a machine for the masses any more than red wine is
 the preferred beverage at baseball games.
 :
 So who cares about ubiquity anyway?"
--D. Story
Hal Itosis #14526 03/04/11 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
Anyone want to buy my used 1st gen? smile
If they do my wife has one for sale! At long last I am going to break down and be standing in line at the Apple Store long before 5:00PM on the 11th to get her one, one for myself, and one as a graduation gift for a friend of ours.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Hal Itosis #14527 03/04/11 01:43 AM

I may be in the market for a used 1st gen iPad, actually, depending on condition and price.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Hal Itosis #14533 03/04/11 11:12 AM

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
tacit #14535 03/04/11 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: tacit
I may be in the market for a used 1st gen iPad, actually, depending on condition and price.

Thanks tacit... alas i confess i was being semi-rhetorical there. (i'll probably just pass it along to my girl friend's 10 year old daughter).

http://www.usedipads.net/

[looks like folks are asking $500 for 64gig/wifi-only models]

Hal Itosis #14707 03/13/11 11:57 PM

This is getting ridiculous now (not to mention embarrassing):

Verizon iPhones Fell Back an Hour Instead of Springing Ahead

OTOH, both my iPad (1st gen) and iPod (4th gen) running iOS 4.3 did the right thing.

:shrug: [but apple needs to make those sorts of headlines go away once and for all]

Hal Itosis #14831 03/25/11 12:26 AM

McGraw-Hill and Pearson Education invest in Inkling.

[also see article at appolicious.com]

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 03/25/11 12:43 AM.
Hal Itosis #14896 03/29/11 02:53 AM

Hal Itosis #14904 03/29/11 01:59 PM

My son, a radiologist, called me yesterday all excited because he had just downloaded a two volume several thousand page comprehensive CT and MRI radiology reference manual to his iPad. He is so pleased that he can search the text, insert bookmarks, and highlight passages and it weighs almost nothing to carry around compared to the printed version's several pounds per volume. It is much faster and easier to use on the iPad. He does have one complaint, the electronic version costs as much as the printed version.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #14909 03/29/11 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
He does have one complaint, the electronic version costs as much as the printed version.

Does that surprise anyone? Nowadays the cost of things has little bearing on research/design/production costs, but more on "what they're willing to pay".

But that cost just gets passed on to the patients of course.

That doesn't work in larger markets however, where there's actual competition. I read recently on slashdot about how an author tried changing some of his online books from $7-10 ea to $0.99 ea and got something like several hundred times the sales, increasing his bottom line dramatically. And now he's fighting a losing battle with the publishers that still have electronic rights on the rest of his books, who refuse to drop the price on them despite reality being thrust in their face.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #14919 03/30/11 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
A common, but not necessarily valid assumption. My son works for a flat monthly rate with no benefits included. The cost of that book along with many others purchased every year comes directly out of his pocket as does the $5,000 to $10,000+ he spends each year in mandatory continuing education, add to that additional thousands of dollars in annual state medical license fees. All of that comes out of that same flat monthly paycheck.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #14950 04/01/11 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
He does have one complaint, the electronic version costs as much as the printed version.

Hopefully, any "updates" to such textbooks —i.e., containing corrections possibly —will be free.

Try that with a printed version. wink

Hal Itosis #17472 09/19/11 04:20 AM

Virtual1 #17484 09/19/11 08:33 PM

It really doesn't.

One of the great secrets of our economic system is that the input cost--the cost it takes to produce a good or service--actually has absolutely nothing to do with the output cost--the price we pay for it.

The price we pay is set by whatever the market will bear. Businesses generally set this price as high as they can get it without hitting a point of diminishing returns.

The input cost is set as low as the businesses can get it. Everything between the input cost and the output cost is profit.

If it is possible for a business to raise the price of a good or service without hurting the profit, they'll do so. They don't need to justify it by passing along some of the input costs; if the market will bear the higher price, then they'll already have raised the price, regardless of expenses. You never take money off the table unless you have to. If the market won't bear the higher price, then they swallow the input cost and make slightly lower profits. The input cost bounces around all the time anyway, based on everything from labor shortages in Pakistan to oil prices in Dubai.

That doesn't work in larger markets however, where there's actual competition.

There are very few markets where there is actual competition. Markets maximize profit through collaboration, not competition. If you look at the store shelves and see Eveready batteries at one price and store-brand parties at another, that might look like competition, but the batteries are probably made in the same plant by the same company. The two price points represent two niche markets--the market that believes that the name brand represents superior quality, and the market that shops on price. These two markets don't actually compete with one another.

Same is true for everything from cars to hammers. Different price points don't necessarily represent competition, and different companies often choose not to compete on price. Even in commodities, where competition is more likely to occur, the presence of things like futures and derivatives end up blurring the competition. (Different oil companies will buy one another's futures, and even top off from raw gasoline from one another's refineries if they hit production snags.)

I read recently on slashdot about how an author tried changing some of his online books from $7-10 ea to $0.99 ea and got something like several hundred times the sales, increasing his bottom line dramatically. And now he's fighting a losing battle with the publishers that still have electronic rights on the rest of his books, who refuse to drop the price on them despite reality being thrust in their face.

I've been following that with some interest, since I'm now selling eBooks myself.

There is a caveat: This works only for popular, well-established writers with strong followings and large fan bases. If you're a small, obscure, or niche writer, it might not be *possible* to get hundreds of times more sales, no matter how low your price goes, simply because you don't have a following that's hundreds of times larger.

So small or not-yet-established writers can't follow that model--meaning they can either price their works cheap and starve, or set their prices higher and be utterly unable to compete with already-established writers.

The book retailers know this. They know that they could lower the prices on the super-popular writer's books and sell more books...but they would do it at the expense of gutting sales, or profits, or both from their less well-known writers. And since the writer's royalties are based on a percentage of the book's retail sale price, that means that less well-known writers are going to get screwed either way--they can take a larger royalty from smaller sales, or a smaller royalty from larger sales, but either way they lose money. The idea of drastically slashing book prices benefits popular, established mainstream writers at the expense of every writer who doesn't have a huge following.

(One of my sweeties is an editor for a large mainstream book publishing company; she and I have talked about this very topic in detail.)

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Virtual1 #17646 09/28/11 02:03 AM

Marathon for iPad - Classic Mac game coming to the tablet [?]

I will absolutely get that. I so thoroughly enjoyed that game. Oh but it requires an ipad... bet it doesn't work on my iphone.

I wonder how the controls will work though? Back then nobody had joysticks or controllers, and only about 50% of us used the mouse. I used just keyboard, and I needed a lot of keys to control the game.

aHA... released on July 7th (no wonder i missed it): Marathon 1

...downloading now. cool

Hal Itosis #17653 09/28/11 03:36 PM

wooo, marathon was good! for it's day, it was utterly stunning, so many firsts all at once. I played m1 and m2 to death, m3 was also pretty good. too bad they sold out to ms at the last minute and then things took a quick turn downhill.

We played networked deathmatch games in the lab late at night, had an absolute blast.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #17658 09/28/11 07:35 PM

wooo, marathon was good! for it's day, it was utterly stunning, so many firsts all at once. I played m1 and m2 to death, m3 was also pretty good. too bad they sold out to ms at the last minute and then things took a quick turn downhill.

We played networked deathmatch games in the lab late at night, had an absolute blast.

Well beyond the trilogy there were many 3rd-party scenarios, most notably Siege of Nor'Kohr, marathon RED, Tempus Irae, and especially marathon EVIL. All one needed was the original engine (from either m1 m2 or m∞, depending on which was required).

BTW, the iPad app looks great and is free. [only need to pay if we want invincibility.]

Hal Itosis #18556 10/18/11 08:48 PM

iPad owners:

Today is the last day to get <PhatPad> for 99 cents.

It can convert scribbles and scrawls into editable text (amazingly well IMO). It does so either in real time (as you note-take), or on a selection (after the fact). More features as well (see link above). Not quite a Pages-killer, but i would think for 99 cents it's a steal. [normally 8 bucks]

Only hours left. You decide.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 10/19/11 12:45 AM.
Hal Itosis #18995 11/08/11 07:03 PM

Hal Itosis #18999 11/08/11 08:10 PM

And 60 Minutes did a piece last weekend about iPads being used to help autistic people communicate. It was quite amazing to see these folks suddenly having a "voice" to get their thoughts out.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #20192 01/21/12 05:37 AM

1. Apple Reinvents Textbooks with iBooks 2 for iPad
    [an entirely new kind of textbook that’s dynamic, current, engrossing, and truly interactive.]

2. New iTunes U App for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
    [design and distribute complete courses featuring audio, video, books, and other content.]

oh, one more thing…
marathon 2: Durandal
[not sure how long it's been out, but i only noticed it recently]

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 01/21/12 05:52 AM.
Hal Itosis #20201 01/21/12 02:01 PM

A young friend of mine, a student at Texas A&M University, was offered the choice of purchasing the Riverside Shakespear for $125 or renting it on her iPad for $5 for the semester. (That day seven of her friends went to the campus book store and purchased new iPads, convinced their savings on textbooks for a year would more than pay for their new iPad.)

— Albert Einstein
Hal Itosis #20203 01/21/12 02:06 PM

oh, one more thing…
marathon 2: Durandal
[not sure how long it's been out, but i only noticed it recently]

I believe Durandal for iPad was released on December 15, 2011. The current version 2.3 appeared on January 7, together with the 2.3 update for Marathon 1.

And while we're on the Marathon topic, December also saw a major update for the Mac versions. Details HERE.

alternaut moderator
Hal Itosis #20478 02/03/12 02:04 AM

Bloomberg: Apple infiltrates $3.8 trillion market with iPad
Quote:
After years of being the also-ran to Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) in the workplace, Apple has seen its iPad become a standard business tool. According to an IDG Connect survey, 51 percent of managers with iPads say they “always” use the device at work, and another 40 percent sometimes do. Seventy-nine percent of the respondents use the iPad for business when outside the office.

Hal Itosis #20623 02/14/12 02:18 AM

Apple PR: Fair Labor Association Begins Inspections of Foxconn

BTW, let's not lose sight of the fact that many other companies use Foxconn for assembly (as well as other manufacturing steps probably), and that —contrary to media spin —Apple is not the "OverLord" of either Foxconn or the Chinese government:

(America)
Amazon.com
Barnes & Noble
Cisco
Dell
EVGA Corporation
Gateway
Hewlett-Packard
Intel
IBM
Microsoft
Motorola