for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
App Store
#13999 02/02/11 11:34 PM
OP Offline

I am having problems with apps downloaded from the App Store on my iMac quad core which is running in 64 bit mode. They apparently download normally, but when I attempt to launch them they die with an error 173. But the plot sickens, or maybe that should be "thickens" because they download and install perfectly on my Macbook Air. However, if I copy the app from my Macbook Air to the iMac it works perfectly. Based on Apple Discussion posts I have repaired permissions but that has no effect as far as I can tell. The error message is always the same:

Quote:
2/2/11 1:49:57 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.503[200] ([0x0-0x53053].com.lagente.pinpoint[507]) Exited with exit code: 173

Note: I have to zip the app to copy it because there are permission problems that prevent a direct copy. I also have to trash the version downloaded from App Store on the iMac because there is always an active task that prevents overwriting it. Last but not least I have to "validate" the copied app with the App Store.

I am waiting for a reply from Developer Programs but in the meantime I am wondering:
  • Have any of you encountered any problems with downloads from the App Store?
  • Any speculation what might be causing the problem on my iMac?
  • Has anyone figured out how to redownload and/or reinstall an App Store app?
  • Am I the only one using the App Store?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: App Store
joemikeb #14017 02/03/11 10:17 AM

Quote:
Am I the only one using the App Store?

I'm not (and hope I never have to), but the real purpose of this post is to suggest a poll.

I'm not even getting unanimous votes of approval from the developers with whom I've been corresponding recently... I've heard complaints about the stiff 30% fee Apple's charging as well as the "long-winded" review process.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #14022 02/03/11 07:34 PM

I have used the App Store only a couple of times with no problems.

No speculation on your specific problem.

On the iPhone, if you delete an app and then download it again, you are not charged for it a second time. Something somewhere is keeping track of the purchases. Feel free to be the trailblazer and delete the problematic application from your iMac, then download it again from the App store and let us know how it goes. smirk

I did notice one interesting behavior with an application I purchased. I had first downloaded a time-limited demo version from the developer's site so I could "try before I buy". The two versions (developer site vs. App Store) were known not to be identical (which was OK with me). I later bought the App Store version and when it downloaded, it replaced the developer version in the location of that application (which happened to be on the Desktop, not in another folder). I was prevented from keeping both versions.

I will be interested to see the response you get from your query.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #14023 02/03/11 10:27 PM
OP Offline

I will let you know if and when I hear something from the App Store. By-the-way deleting an app apparently does not enable downloading a second time, but you can download the app on I believe up to four other "authorized" computers with no additional charge.

Another by-the-way. I just discovered that Aperture 3 which you can purchase in a box at the neighborhood or online Apple Store for $199 is available through App Store for $69. I had no problem downloading it either.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #14027 02/03/11 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Am I the only one using the App Store?

I visited once a few days after it opened but I am treating it the same as I treat any store - I generally don't go unless I actually need something.

ryck

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
joemikeb #14033 02/04/11 12:32 AM

> By-the-way deleting an app apparently does not enable downloading a second time, [....]

Is
Quote:
Buy, download, and even redownload.

You can install apps on every Mac you use and even download them again. This is especially convenient when you buy a new Mac and want to load it with apps you already own.

found here, misleading, then?

(Best link I could find.)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #14034 02/04/11 01:20 AM

Or, from Mac App Store: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

Quote:
If I have already downloaded an app from the Mac App Store, can I redownload it for free?

Yes. You can redownload apps from the Mac App Store as long as the app remains available. You may be asked to enter the Apple ID and password you initially used to download the app.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
joemikeb #14041 02/04/11 11:17 AM

Given the characteristically sparse info available from the horse's mouth, a couple of more in-depth sources might be worth looking at:

dkmarsh #14042 02/04/11 12:37 PM

I find the store a bit overwhelming in that I do not have an iPad or iPhone, ergo I feel the need/want to filter out all those apps, AKA Clutter, and only see desktop/10.6.x apps.

That said, I used the store once, without issue.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #14043 02/04/11 01:45 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
I find the store a bit overwhelming in that I do not have an iPad or iPhone, ergo I feel the need/want to filter out all those apps, AKA Clutter, and only see desktop/10.6.x apps.

It sounds as if you are confusing App Store with the iTunes Store. App Store does not catalog any iPhone/iPad apps, only OS X apps. The iTunes store on the other hand does not catalog any OS X apps, only iPhone and iPac apps. It doesn't help the confusion that App Store apps are purchased using the iTunes store account;

— Albert Einstein
dkmarsh #14044 02/04/11 01:48 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Or, from Mac App Store: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

Quote:
If I have already downloaded an app from the Mac App Store, can I redownload it for free?

Yes. You can redownload apps from the Mac App Store as long as the app remains available. You may be asked to enter the Apple ID and password you initially used to download the app.

I saw that too but when I attempt to re-download/re-insall App Store says the app is installed and when I click on the install button, nothing happens.

— Albert Einstein
dkmarsh #14045 02/04/11 02:09 PM
OP Offline

Given the characteristically sparse info available from the horse's mouth, a couple of more in-depth sources might be worth looking at:

Thanks for those two informative articles, but I still can't figure out how to force a re-download/re-install. I am probably missing something somewhere but....

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #14049 02/04/11 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Pendragon

It sounds as if you are confusing App Store with the iTunes Store. App Store does not catalog any iPhone/iPad apps, only OS X apps. The iTunes store on the other hand does not catalog any OS X apps, only iPhone and iPac apps. It doesn't help the confusion that App Store apps are purchased using the iTunes store account;

Correcto. Indeed my error. Mea maxima culpa.

Oh, the shame...

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #14058 02/04/11 11:46 PM

Quote:
It sounds as if you are confusing App Store with the iTunes Store. App Store does not catalog any iPhone/iPad apps, only OS X apps.

Actually, the App Store is that portion of the iTunes Store which handles iOS applications. (Next time you visist the iTunes Store, take a look at the navigation bar in the main pane. I see—in addition to the Home icon—Music, Movies, TV Shows, App Store, Podcasts, Audiobooks, and iTunes U). What you're calling the App Store is properly referred to as the Mac App Store.

dkmarsh #14059 02/05/11 01:24 AM

> What you're calling the App Store is properly referred to as the Mac App Store.

Yet the app that 10.6.6 installs in /Apps is "App Store.app."

Edit: And the Apple menu offers an "App Store" option.

Last edited by artie505; 02/05/11 01:25 AM.

artie505 #14060 02/05/11 02:36 AM

Since the application in question is installed and used on a Mac, I suppose the inclusion of the word "Mac" could be considered redundant...on a Mac.

Clearly, though, in the broader context in which there exist two distinctly different "App Stores," it's essential to use language that differentiates between them, else confusion is bound to result.

For example, sixteen days after the Mac App Store launched, a widely-noted event occurred: App Store racks up ten billion downloads. Boy, that was quick! laugh

dkmarsh #14062 02/05/11 06:31 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
> What you're calling the App Store is properly referred to as the Mac App Store.

Yet the app that 10.6.6 installs in /Apps is "App Store.app."

Edit: And the Apple menu offers an "App Store" option.

> Since the application in question is installed and used on a Mac, I suppose the inclusion of the word "Mac" could be considered redundant...on a Mac.

Edit: Even on a Mac, the distinction between the two outlets should be made.

> Clearly, though, in the broader context in which there exist two distinctly different "App Stores," it's essential to use language that differentiates between them, else confusion is bound to result.

No argument from this corner.

Edit: But, too... From Apple - APP Store - Buy, download, and install apps made for Mac.

Quote:
The Mac App Store is just like the App Store for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.

Apple ought to use the same consistent language we're striving for here.

Note: There's some spurious math in your linked article...

Quote:
Apple launched its 10 billion download countdown for the App Store a week ago when it was at a little over 9.7 billion downloads. For the past week, the counter has been racing ahead at a speed of about 1.8 million downloads a day, eventually reaching its target on Saturday.

Even if 1.8mil/day s/b 18mil/day, a week's total still doesn't come close to 300mil.

Last edited by artie505; 02/05/11 09:40 AM.

dkmarsh #14068 02/05/11 10:06 AM

I just perused your linked articles, and I'm wondering whether these quotes, from Macworld and The Mac Observer, respectively, are contradictory or whether I missed something?"

Quote:
What happens if I install the App Store version over top of an existing version? Like Evernote, for example.

We had that exact experience. When we installed Evernote 2.0.1 from the Mac App Store, it replaced version 2.0 that was already installed on the Mac.

Quote:
If you already have a non-MAS version of an app installed on your drive, the App Store will list that app as “Installed.” There will be no option to purchase it.

Ira's post seems to support Macworld's experience.

artie505 #14069 02/05/11 11:28 AM

In the Macworld example, the MAS version is actually an update. Perhaps the result reported by The Mac Observer occurs when the MAS and non-MAS version numbers are the same.

(BTW, the math error you uncovered can be rectified by changing "about 1.8 million downloads a day" to "about 1.8 million downloads an hour.")

dkmarsh #14077 02/06/11 08:02 AM

In the Macworld example, the MAS version is actually an update. Perhaps the result reported by The Mac Observer occurs when the MAS and non-MAS version numbers are the same.

Maybe somebody with real-life experience will confirm or deny.

(BTW, the math error you uncovered can be rectified by changing "about 1.8 million downloads a day" to "about 1.8 million downloads an hour.") (Emphasis added)

Astonishing!

artie505 #14078 02/06/11 05:47 PM

I can partly confirm: my download of a trial version of EazyDraw from the developer's site was a different (earlier) version number than the one from the Mac App Store. Hence, the App Store was technically an update and it replaced the previous version.

The developer's site actually explained this discrepancy (different format importing capabilities), but said that the versions would eventually become the same in number and features. To that extent EazyDraw would lose the ability to import older formats (e.g., AppleWorks). The App Store version already reflected this loss in capability.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #14327 02/22/11 01:30 PM
OP Offline

I have finally "fixed" my error 173 problem with the MAS but I still don't know what caused it in the first place.
  • I went through all the standard stuff including test account, safe boot, etc.
  • Then I reran the OS X 10.6.6 combo update with no success.
  • I reinstalled OS X 10.4.4 from the install discs that came with the iMac followed by the OS X 10.6.6 combo updater.
  • After spending a lot of time with a very knowledgable and helpful Applecare tech, who admitted they were having a lot of reports of error 173 issues from the MAS, and escalating the problem two levels we agreed on a fix that worked.
  • Erase the hard drive and start all over again from scratch.
  • I ran Migration Assistant and it not only restored the problem but now MAS could not even contact the server.
  • Another erase and reinstall, but this time restoring the apps and utilities from scratch -- one at a time. I still have a way to go getting everything back up and running, but so far so good.
At this point I don't know if I even want to know what the conflict was in my old system but I am keeping a clone of each working set before I reinstall the next batch of apps. Just in case I manage to recreate the problem one more time it will be easy to go back to the last working version. What a PITA.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #14329 02/22/11 04:10 PM

What a PITA.

That's quite an experience! I suspect you reviewed a lengthy series of relevant epithets. shocked

alternaut moderator
joemikeb #14334 02/22/11 10:40 PM

I wonder if those 173's are the result of issues with the copy protection getting overzealous or broken?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #14338 02/23/11 01:30 AM
OP Offline

According to at least one developer I corresponded with code 173 is a validation error.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard