for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
CNET and html5
#13891 01/23/11 07:00 AM
OP Online

Out of the blue, when I click on any link to a CNET app page I'm greeted with this pop-up:

Quote:
The website "http://download.cnet.com" is requesting 1 MB of disk space to store "html5 test db" as a database on your disk.

Will somebody please explain its significance?

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: CNET and html5
artie505 #13896 01/23/11 03:36 PM

Like Flash Player's 'Local Storage' setting, HTML5 (as implemented in Safari at least) allows for client-side storage. The site(s) you get the message on seem to be running HTML5 db support tests using an older, unpatched version of Modernizr. Like the Flash setting above, the one underlying your dialog may be adjusted in the Security tab of Safari's prefs (Database storage).

PS, I didn't get that dialog, but it turns out that my database was set to something other than zero.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #13898 01/23/11 04:57 PM

I've found Local Storage - Dive Into HTML5 to be a reasonably clear and concise introduction to the topic at hand; scroll down to FURTHER READING for links to more information than you (probably) have time to peruse.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #13900 01/23/11 05:36 PM

Thanks, Dave, that may help providing some background to the above. And you were right in thinking further reading might exceed my time (as well as current interests). Should that change, I know where to look. laugh

alternaut moderator
dkmarsh #13911 01/24/11 11:35 AM
OP Online

Thanks for the link; it's certainly informative, but it discusses local storage, not databases...the subject of my original post.

For an explanation of databases see FURTHER READING > Web SQL Database: > Introducing Web SQL Databases, and, for an example, "Web Database demonstration" (which reproduces the pop-up that CNET generated).

In the end, though, and although I realize that both databases and local storage expand Safari's functionality, I'm still not sure how they differ or what benefit I'd derive from, for instance, allowing CNET to create the database it asked to create.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard