FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
When modem is on, computer won't sleep
#1326 08/18/09 01:28 AM
MarkG Offline OP
OP Offline

Not sure which forum to place this in. Never had a problem before. iMac now on 10.5.8, 2.16 GHz intel core 2 duo with 2 GB of Ram. When the new Motorola Surboard SB5101 is plugged in, the computer will not go to the deep pulsating sleep. If a unplug the modem or push the standby switch on the modem the computer will sleep fine. In energy saver preferences I have unchecked wake for ethernet network administrator access. Have Zapped the Pram, used applejack, ran Disk Warrior. The problem also occurs on my backup drive. Not sure if it is 10.5.8 or the modem. I can manually put the computer to sleep and all is well. No unusual software and the only login item is itunes helper. I also unplugged all from the computer and let it sit for 5 minutes. Didn’t help. When the modem is active, no sleep. I am on Comcast for the internet. Thanks Mark

Re: When modem is on, computer won't sleep
MarkG #1335 08/18/09 03:08 AM

Are you sure you don't have any background apps running that rely on the internet? Something like Mozy or Dropbox or the like? Anything else running in the background (not necessarily something that shows up in Startup Items)? What if you start in Safe Mode? What if you log in as a new user? If you updated from Software Update, try installing the 10.5.8 Combo Updater.

Keeper of the Magic Nickel
donikatz #1337 08/18/09 04:06 AM
MarkG Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the reply. Safe Boot made no difference. No add-ons like you mentioned. Only a few applications like Word X or Adobe Reader, FM Pro etc. Originally did update with the combo and tried a reinstall of the combo a few days ago. Oddly enough if I just restart the machine and don't do anything it will sleep. Tomorrow I will call Comcast and reprovision the old modem. I prefer not to do that but I am beginning to think there may be something with the new modem. Any other ideas are most appreciated.

MarkG #1342 08/18/09 05:05 AM
MarkG Offline OP
OP Offline

It's not the modem as I switched back and the same issue.

MarkG #1343 08/18/09 05:49 AM

In the Energy saver, when you uncheck "wake up for network administrator...", does this stick? If you restart, does it revert back to checked? If yes, click on the padlock. Is the test admin account (see Donikatz's post above) doing the same?
I am also wondering about the modem configuration. You might like to access the modem through Internet and see what settings does it have. I would also call Comcast and try to troubleshoot with their tech. They may have heard of this issue.

Last edited by macnerd10; 08/18/09 05:51 AM.

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN
MarkG #1365 08/18/09 01:27 PM
MarkG Offline OP
OP Offline

The settings stick and I put them back on Apples default settings with the box checked this morning. (I had tried them both ways yesterday) I had provisioned the old modem last night and it still didn't work last night. Turned machine and modem off for the rest of the evening. Today all is working fine. I believe the problem has something to do with Comcast. The reason I got the new motorola was they told me I was getting thousands of disconnects. I never saw them on my end. The new modem also was getting tons of disconnects which I can't perceive on my end. Comcast support this morning was close to ridiculous as I tried to find out what they meant by disconnects. She told me they would charge as I own the modem if they sent someone out. Anyway I thank all that sent in suggestions. I still don't know what the problem is, and for the time being all works. Comcast has dropped a lot in my opinion, but it is the only game in town.

MarkG #1369 08/18/09 01:47 PM

Well, I could certainly see that being the problem -- a faulty ISP connection causing a lot of chattiness and/or renegotation so your Mac's not really idle. I wonder if you'll see anything interesting in system logs or a packet sniffer like Wireshark.

(Comcast also has a history of some shady anti-consumer tactics, so wonder if they constantly ping your Mac or the like.)

Last edited by donikatz; 08/18/09 01:48 PM.

Keeper of the Magic Nickel
donikatz #1377 08/18/09 03:17 PM
MarkG Offline OP
OP Offline

A lot of stuff in the log from the Firewall showing every 5 or 10 minutes (The firewall is set to allow only essential services and enable stealth mode) :from the log ie Stealth Mode connection attempt to TCP with a lot of numbers to and from. At the moment the situation is working by using the old modem. If I can get the install cd where I can provision from here instead of calling in, I will use it from my backup drive and retest the new modem (though I am now pretty sure it will work as it worked for a week) . If the problem recurs, which I hope not, would a router stop the direct connection to my computer, act as a barrier per se. Wireshark seems a little above me at the moment. Thanks Mark

MarkG #1379 08/18/09 03:38 PM

Just for grins and giggles, if the IP addresses incoming are all the same, plug one of them into your Network Utility, and do a whois. Find out who it is that is contacting you. If it is Comcast then they are the root of the problem.

There are 3 kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Sturner #1384 08/18/09 04:22 PM
MarkG Offline OP
OP Offline

What a great idea. I never knew what Network utility was. I ran numbers through both whois and trace route and both came back unknown. The addresses are almost all different.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard