for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: troubleshooting G5 shutting down
Joe #2237 08/28/09 10:21 AM

> Is there anyway other than replacing it to test a power supply?

I'm far from expert, but the only way of which I'm aware is to take your Mac to either a "Genius Bar" or authorized Mac service center, both of which have access to tools to which we mere mortals do not.

> is the best way to determine what to buy to replace the power supply opening it up & looking for specs on power supply?
or perusing the apple site or another way?

Before going the route you're envisioning I suggest that you do some research to determine whether your power supply is user serviceable.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Joe #2267 08/28/09 01:27 PM

There is no practical way to test the power supply using software such as the AHT. Testing requires, at a minimum, a Volt/Ohm/Ammeter and a system specification. Unless you are a moderately skilled technician with the proper test equipment replacing the power supply would probably be cheaper than the labor to test it.

Any reputable Apple Certified Repair center can provide you with the specs, the replacement power supply, and install it as well. Power supplies are not considered user replaceable parts.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Joe #2293 08/28/09 05:08 PM

if it's a non isight g5 imac shutting down during startup, it's almost certainly the power supply. there's no way to test it besides replace it.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Joe #2481 08/30/09 09:39 PM

Sadly, there is no way to test the power supply with a computer program; it's one of those things that it either works or it doesn't, and if it doesn't, the computer tends to shut down.

It sounds quite likely that that's your problem, but short of replacing it, there's no way to be sure.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard